Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: pfSense 2.5.0 RC now available  (Read 6108 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
pfSense 2.5.0 RC now available
« on: February 12, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »

Testing out pfSense 2.5.0 as its now hit release candidate.

So far I'm having problems getting gateway monitoring to work on Plusnet, for some reason the IP I was using before isn't getting a ping response.  This is possibly related a long-standing issue I had with my configuration though, I can't ping out of the Plusnet WAN from pfSense and I have no idea why, but before it WAS at least working for gateway monitoring.

The only other issue is my AirVPN clients failed as one of the custom options they tell you to set is now deprecated in OpenVPN, so I simply removed that option.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:59:05 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: pfSense 2.5.0 RC now available
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »

My in place upgrade went well  ;D

Code: [Select]
2.5.0-RC (amd64)
built on Fri Feb 12 03:07:06 EST 2021
FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE

The system is on the latest version.
Version information updated at Fri Feb 12 19:15:49 GMT 2021

Wera

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »

I will probably stick with 2.4.5 for now. Its working well and is stable. I have tried 2.5 a couple of times on the bleeding edge versions and they worked fine, but it doesn't have any "must haves" for me that would require an update as yet.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »

Mine is still on the old one, do you have to click >system>update to install it.
I'm newish to pfs. :-\
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »

Mine is still on the old one, do you have to click >system>update to install it.
I'm newish to pfs. :-\
You do yeah. You'll need to change the branch to "Next stable version (2.5.0RC).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »

There was an issue on 2.5.x that was broken for a year where dummynet was sending traffic to a blackhole on WAN interfaces but mysteriously was fine on LAN.

Then they had some kind of code crunch just before the RC and they fixed it in one direction, sadly its still broken on inbound traffic but pfsense still consider the bug fixed as almost everyone uses it on outbound matching only.

Having been using 2.5 for a year in a datacentre, that was/is the only problem I had with it.

2.5 is a bit of a unknown, as some who may not be aware netgate are now going to focus on their commercial product which is forking away from the community edition, they will still offer code contributions and still supervise the project, but as to how much attention it gets moving forward only time will tell.

I will be testing the commercial product on the dummynet bug as I am curious if that will work on there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:29:38 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:34 PM »

Isn't the commercial version supposed to be focusing on cloud management?  I must say that bothers me.

Not only that it seem illogical for small businesses to have everything cloud based, but also how is that supposed to work if pfSense is what allows access to the cloud so if it breaks if you lose access to it?

I'm still not a huge fan of Cloud based anything.  Case in point, I recently decided to integrate my Google Calendar into my Intranet home page (its displayed permanently on monitors in two different rooms in my house for network/server monitoring) using their PHP code sample, and its just suddenly stopped working with no indication of why.  I have no clue how to even begin debugging this, there are no error messages coming back from the API and nothing in the cloud portal (there seems to be little you can actually do/see in there) to suggest its been blocked either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:16:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:08 PM »

They are claiming the initial release isnt much different to what the CE is, just a few small enhancements, but over time the gap will grow.

More info here.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-plus-pfsense-ce-dev-insights-direction.html

Also they adopting rapid development (something I am not a fan off but seems its industry wide practice now), pfsense plus will be very rapid, CE not quite so rapid but still very frequent compared to historical levels.  Hopefully they will adopt a longer period than 6 months support for each major release.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:56:08 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »

Well I use Fedora, so not exactly a stranger to rapid development.  Although it does seem a risky approach for a router OS.

Maybe we will have to jump to OPNSense at some point, would be kinda annoying.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 08:41:09 AM »

Maybe we will have to jump to OPNSense at some point, would be kinda annoying.
I have been thinking the same thing, I have played around with OPNsense a few times and I like the WebUI better but found that pfSense handles my load balancing better, this guy makes an interesting comparison between the two OS. .

C

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 10:59:31 AM »

Oh yeah the opnsense UI is very nice  I already use opnsense on 3 devices, my home setup with it been complex I have just been too lazy to attempt to move it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 09:46:44 PM »

pfSense 2.5.0 RELEASE is now out!

I have been thinking the same thing, I have played around with OPNsense a few times and I like the WebUI better but found that pfSense handles my load balancing better, this guy makes an interesting comparison between the two OS. .

C

I guess once I have FTTP and load balancing wont matter any more, it could be a good time to look into it.  Though I do have a spare Atom PC I could install it on to have a look.

Although ZFS and pfBlockerNG are things I'm quite fond of.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:03:59 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »

pfSense Plus 21.02-RELEASE and pfSense CE 2.5.0-RELEASE Now Available

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 05:50:09 AM »

Still can't figure out why I can neither ping nor traceroute out of the Plusnet gateway from pfSense but it WILL work from the LAN.

More frustrating is apparently just turning off gateway action didn't work, it still marks the gateway offline in the gateway group unless I disable monitoring entirely.  This makes it harder to figure out if I ever fix gateway pinging as I can't have it enabled and use the Internet properly.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »

The 2.5.0-RELEASE update popped up for me yesterday so I ran it and it seems to have installed pretty smoothly, the only two things I have noticed so far are :
  • NTP Server is disabled - my NNTP is enabled in the Service is menu server but shows as disabled on the dashboard
  • A little globe icon has now appeared next to my 'default connection'

C
Pages: [1] 2 3 4