Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Challenging (?) central node by-pass [direct dedicated wifi link]  (Read 743 times)

RTouris

Hi all,

in an effort to de-congest a specific link in my outdoor PtP setup I’m currently in the process of evaluating my options in installing a dedicated link between two nodes which has been tested to have a much better airtime throughput between two problematic - yet crucial locations - denoted by sub_2 & 3 below in the schematic.

Currently the implementation sees all the APs setup as bridges with routers behind them in each location taking over DHCP IP allocations and NAT translations with static routing being only active on main_1 to aid with WDS IP sub resolution in order to be able to access resources without port forwarding. In it’s current form traffic from sub_2 to sub_3 flows through main_1, which if/when the dedicated link is activated (shown in red) should go directly between the two routers bypassing main_1 altogether.

It is my understanding that It is this exact reason that static routing could not be used to enable such a change in behaviour in traffic, since static routing requires the APs be setup as routers and not bridges so my question is how I’d go about achieving this in an alternate way?

In terms of equipment I have a few UI EdgerouterXs around as well as TP-Links and Mi3G w/Padavan which all now happily cope with the traffic generated.

Thanks for your suggestions!
RT.-
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:31:20 PM by RTouris »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Challenging (?) central node by-pass [direct dedicated wifi link]
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:45:25 PM »

Hmm . . . I've doodled a few ideas and then crossed them out. At the moment, I can't come up with a sensible method of achieving the required result.

I wonder if any other members have ideas?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RTouris

Re: Challenging (?) central node by-pass [direct dedicated wifi link]
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:51:49 PM »

Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated! It looks way tougher than initially thought; Trying to get around this in a simple and effective way may indeed prove perplexing and puzzling to say the least.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:45:09 PM by RTouris »

anything