Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Available through BT but not Sky  (Read 765 times)

Privatepyle

• Just arrived
FTTP Available through BT but not Sky
« on: February 10, 2021, 05:38:04 PM »

Hi all, just a quick one, so FTTP has been available on my street since October last year through BT but for whatever reason it is still not available through sky, only FTTC is available.

Can I just ask why would that be? Is it a case that sky need to put their own infrastructure in the exchange or is it just that sky have decided not to offer FTTP yet on my street even though they could do?

Thanks in advance.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTP Available through BT but not Sky
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 06:27:15 PM »

It sounds like Sky do not have the backbone infrastructure in your exchange to offer FTTP yet.
There's a couple of carriers who are only offering G.Fast and FTTP if their backbone infrastructure is in place.
Anything stopping you moving to a competitor?

Privatepyle

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »

It sounds like Sky do not have the backbone infrastructure in your exchange to offer FTTP yet.
There's a couple of carriers who are only offering G.Fast and FTTP if their backbone infrastructure is in place.
Anything stopping you moving to a competitor?

Thanks for the reply, I wondered if that might be the case, what backbone infrastructure would sky need to install in the exchange? Does each isp have their own cards etc in the exchange for example?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »

All fibre based services (FTTC, G.Fast, FTTPoD & FTTP) originate from a "head end" exchange, which is likely not to be the serving telephony exchange for the area. The optical fibre component of all those services begins at an Optical Line Terminal (OLT).

An Internet Service Provider (ISP) needs to purchase a (number of) suitably sized "cable link(s)" which is (are) used to connect the ISP equipment to the OLT.

In your case, it appears that BT Wholesale have purchased sufficiently sized cable links to provide all four fibre based services whereas Sky appear to only have purchased sufficiently sized cable links to provide their FTTC services.

I wouldn't be surprised to know if it all comes down to financial expenditure . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »

If BT isn't appealing for some reason, do Zen serve your area?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Privatepyle

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »

I am in contract with sky so unable to leave at the current time.

Privatepyle

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »

All fibre based services (FTTC, G.Fast, FTTPoD & FTTP) originate from a "head end" exchange, which is likely not to be the serving telephony exchange for the area. The optical fibre component of all those services begins at an Optical Line Terminal (OLT).

An Internet Service Provider (ISP) needs to purchase a (number of) suitably sized "cable link(s)" which is (are) used to connect the ISP equipment to the OLT.

In your case, it appears that BT Wholesale have purchased sufficiently sized cable links to provide all four fibre based services whereas Sky appear to only have purchased sufficiently sized cable links to provide their FTTC services.

I wouldn't be surprised to know if it all comes down to financial expenditure . . .

Thanks for this, really appreciate the information

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

Thanks for this, really appreciate the information

You're welcome.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.