Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Excellent Download Speeds, but slowish upload  (Read 2024 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Excellent Download Speeds, but slowish upload
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 04:21:47 PM »

I did notice that but was none the wiser as obviously both ends of the link know the stats as they communicate with each other, so not sure how that makes any difference in determining which direction is which.

Exactly. We are in total agreement. Draytek excel in muddles!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

yorksfttc

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all the advice and the discussion on the way Draytec reports line stats.

I tried to call EE technical support to ask for a DSLAM port reset to hopefully fix the banding, but as soon as they realised I was using my own equipment they said they sadly couldn't do much.

So after several times the Vigor 130 lost sync in the middle of the day, I decided to replace the Vigor130 with the EE Smart Hub turning off the Hubs wifi and connect that to my Amplifi HD with the Amplifi HD running in Bridge mode to avoid a double NAT.

I will now monitor to see how the line stability is :)

I can only see a few stats on the Smart Hub and these at the time to writing are as follows.

Data rate:8.48 Mbps / 67.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.48 Mbps / 90.93 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.2 / 12.7
Line attenuation (up/down):23.0 / 17.5
Signal attenuation (up/down):23.2 / 17.5

They do seem easier to understand, but can anyone comment if any of these stats show why I might be getting slow upload speeds?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 05:10:42 PM »

Well that does at least confirm Far was upstream and for some reason the attenuation on that is far higher than the downstream.

The curious thing is how the downstream is banded, so a DLM reset isn't going to do anything for upstream.  It does make you wonder if the banding is due to an issue with the line though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

yorksfttc

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »

Well that does at least confirm Far was upstream and for some reason the attenuation on that is far higher than the downstream.

The curious thing is how the downstream is banded, so a DLM reset isn't going to do anything for upstream.  It does make you wonder if the banding is due to an issue with the line though.

I know it's a bit of a puzzle and not something I'm guessing that will get fixed overnight I don't think!

Back in December 2019 I was getting nearly 14Mbps Upload.... and then it dropped off.

I'm going to see how stable the line is using their equipment for a while. At least that way I can report a problem :)

In the meantime I have bought a 2nd hand BT Huawei EchoLife HG612 Modem, so I will unlock that and update it according to the blog post on this site and see how that goes... once I solve the frequent connection dropping!

btjtaylor

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »

Weirdly I have a similar problem

Switched from an Asus router/modem with Mediatek chipset to a Draytek Vigor 2760 with Lantiq chipset

Generally speaking is better as my line is now on fastpath, but i noticed my upload speed dropped from 13mbit to 10mbit

Did you try messing with the modem code? Mine is using the stock BT firmware

yorksfttc

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »

Weirdly I have a similar problem

Switched from an Asus router/modem with Mediatek chipset to a Draytek Vigor 2760 with Lantiq chipset

Generally speaking is better as my line is now on fastpath, but i noticed my upload speed dropped from 13mbit to 10mbit

Did you try messing with the modem code? Mine is using the stock BT firmware

I did a while back try messing with the modem code.... but it didn't enhance anything.

Bit of an update, as I mentioned before I have gone back to the EE Smart Hub that EE originally sent me... but I never used as I had the Vigor130. This way I can then complain to EE technical support... if I can identify it's a problem at their end.

Interestingly, after connecting the Smart Hub, over the lasy few days my Download speed has gone up considerably...was around 60Mbps and now it's reaching nearly 70Mbps.

Sadly the upload speed hasn't really changed that much, but it is higher by about 0.5Mbps

Stats are now

Data rate:8.96 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.96 Mbps / 91.58 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):5.7 / 10.7
Line attenuation (up/down):23.2 / 17.5
Signal attenuation (up/down):23.4 / 17.5

So maybe with time the upload speed will creep up even further.

It is however loosing sync about once a day, but this is in the early hours of the morning and so, I'm told, could be openreach doing maintenance.

I'll leave it for a few more days and see if it settles down or keeps loosing sync.

yorksfttc

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »

What was the model of the Asus router as a matter of interest?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 01:10:18 AM »

If it had a mediatek chipset it was probably the DSL-AC68U, though many of their DSL models contain mediatek chipsets.

If you're thinking about buying 1 let me try talk you out of it, or if you have 1 let me try convince you to get rid of it.  ::)

My advice if to avoid Asus modems at all cost, particularly the mediatek chipsets. They are horribly unstable and are (or were) excluded from OpenReach's G.INP rollout.

The newer DSL-AC88U has a Broadcom chipset. I'd still avoid it.
Despite it only being around 3 years old it has already been dropped by Asus and receives no support or new firmware updates or security patches. They never fixed many of the bugs on it before they ditched it.

Basically their DSL model numbered modem/routers are junk.
Their RT model numbered routers are excellent.
It's different staff/department who work on the DSL models and it shows in the firmware.

My 7-8 year old RT-AC68U still receives regular updates from Asus.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:02:28 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bkehoe

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »

It is however loosing sync about once a day, but this is in the early hours of the morning and so, I'm told, could be openreach doing maintenance.

Once a day is normal in this situation, and to be expected now you've ditched the old modem as DLM is relaxing the banding you had been on in stages as it monitors stability.

yorksfttc

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »

Once a day is normal in this situation, and to be expected now you've ditched the old modem as DLM is relaxing the banding you had been on in stages as it monitors stability.

Yeah, thats for confirming that. Today I notice that the Smart Hub got through the night without a drop in sync, so I'm going to leave it and see how we do over the next few days. Hopefully upload will start to rise soon!

btjtaylor

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »

DSL-N16 .. really low end thing

Agree with j0hn, not very good, had me stuck in interleaved until I switched it out for a draytek
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:42:07 AM by btjtaylor »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »

Data rate:8.96 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.96 Mbps / 91.58 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):5.7 / 10.7
Line attenuation (up/down):23.2 / 17.5
Signal attenuation (up/down):23.4 / 17.5

Banding has gone from 67Mb to 74Mb. That's great.
I believe the next step is back to 80Mb.

So maybe with time the upload speed will creep up even further.

As mentioned above the downstream was limited by the DLM.
With that limit being relaxed the downstream is improving.

The upstream isn't being limited by the DLM. It won't improve unless something physical changes, such as engineer work.

Sync varies every time and the upstream has simply synced a little higher this time as it has synced just below the target noise margin of 6dB.
It will likely sync a little lower next time
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]