Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idle thought- telephone numbers  (Read 1776 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Idle thought- telephone numbers
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »

With UK's present exchange system, how long will it be before there are insufficient numbers for it to operate efficiently?  Next step and solution?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Idle thought- telephone numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »

Back in August 2019, OfCOM released the 0204 range for London to give London an extra 10 million numbers: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/ofcom-uk-to-release-new-020-4-phone-number-range-for-london.html

In certain areas, OfCOM has conservation areas, this means instead of a carrier being able to hold 10,000 numbers, they can only hold 1,000: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/conserve and https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-3/telavail

Overall it looks in good shape, and London has around 40 million numbers left in the ranges 0201, 0202, 0205 and 0206 that have yet to be made available.

The conservation of numbers in 336 areas has stopped Carriers sitting on 10,000 number blocks that they hardly use.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »

if anything we are more likely to end up having too much as people start to drop "landline" telphone services completey.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 01:48:16 PM »

if anything we are more likely to end up having too much as people start to drop "landline" telphone services completey.
Excuse my ignorance, but won't  numbers still be needed to establish connection between caller and called?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:44:48 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but won't  numbers still be needed to establish connection between caller and called?

I think what they mean is most people won't bother with VoIP, they just use their mobile phone so landline numbers will be in much less demand.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:54:23 PM »

indeed
i only have a landline number (provided via VOIP) because it was cheaper to have one than to not have one, if the price was the same then i wouldn't have one at all.
there isn't anything connected to the VOIP port at my end so the number is essentially wasted by forcing me to have it.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 12:27:32 PM »

II
I think what they mean is most people won't bother with VoIP, they just use their mobile phone so landline numbers will be in much less demand.
I'm not so sure. Maybe the take up of VoIP will be less than expected. There are still people around without a computer or mobile and, if they do, make very limited basic use and fearful and adverse to unfamiliarity.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »

VOIP has nothing to do with having a computer or mobile.
all new virgin connections now supply phone versions via VOIP (using the hub) so you need a hub even if you don't have internet services just for the phone line

BT are also moving over to providing "landline" services via VOIP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »

III'm not so sure. Maybe the take up of VoIP will be less than expected. There are still people around without a computer or mobile and, if they do, make very limited basic use and fearful and adverse to unfamiliarity.

Either way, demand for landline numbers may be less, as right now you sign up for DSL broadband and get one allocated by default.
However moving forward, you can sign up for FTTP as a data only service.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 07:06:45 AM »

BT has started offering a broadband only service already.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Talktalk FTTP comes with no landline, even if you wanted 1.

The use of landline numbers will decline. I can't see us ever running out of numbers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 09:27:27 AM »

BT has started offering a broadband only service already.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

I noticed this the other day. There is clearly a demand or they wouldn't be offering it.

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »

If you look over on the BT Community Forums, you will notice that a great many people respond that they don't possess a telephone with which to check for a noisy line when asked to do so.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »

If you look over on the BT Community Forums, you will notice that a great many people respond that they don't possess a telephone with which to check for a noisy line when asked to do so.
Err, noisy line, but no phone? Confused! :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »

where's the confusion?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »

@renluop: he's talking about electrical noise, i.e. interference, not audible noise.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything