Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A faulty dect phone problem  (Read 7446 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: A faulty dect phone problem
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »

I think :fingers: the C430HX is wall mountable, There are two slots on the back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 04:17:16 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 04:59:41 PM »

Ordered a couple of C430H off Amazon, hopefully they are the same.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »

I have ordered a pair of these https://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/en/eneloop-lite to replace the current https://uk.gpbatteries.com/products/recyko-aaa-650mah-rechargeable-battery-pack-of-4 :)
GP one's are on the Gigaset approved list
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 09:55:27 PM »

GP are the manufacturer of a lot of the branded batteries, so that makes sense.

Eneloop are regarded as the best AFAIK but they too manufacture for some other companies too.

My DECT phones at the moment actually have Amazon Basics in them.  The Panasonic seems to work great with them, even though its almost 100% of the time on charge.  When I have used it and forgotten to put it back it lasts days, so clearly they are holding a good charge.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 05:22:39 AM »

Turns out they were C430HX and I already hit a snag.  They work great but they don't seem to have the feature to auto-hangup when you put them back on charge which is tripping up my mum.  She left an incoming call live for 4 hours, just hope she doesn't accidentally do it with an outgoing.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 12:26:16 PM »

That's strange. My handsets are the HX version too and when I replace the handset in the cradle mid-call the call is terminated. The current version of the handset firmware is 117.013.06.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 01:41:58 PM »

Odd indeed as the instructions (https://gse.gigaset.com/fileadmin/legacy-assets/CustomerCare/Manuals/C43x-C53x/C430HX_C530HX/A31008-M2765-L101-2-7619_en_IE-UK.pdf) say:
"Regardless of the Auto Answer setting, the connection ends as soon as you place the handset back in the charging cradle. Exception: Press and hold the handsfree key  for a further 2 seconds while placing the handset in the charging cradle."
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 06:11:58 PM »

"Regardless of the Auto Answer setting, the connection ends as soon as you place the handset back in the charging cradle. Exception: Press and hold the handsfree key  for a further 2 seconds while placing the handset in the charging cradle."

I wonder if somehow she accidentally held the hands free key?  She does have arthritis so could have been holding it oddly.  Will have to see if it happens again, they are on the latest firmware.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »

I solved the problem!!

After searching around the t'internet I found a video that not only explained what was happening. But why it was happening, and how to fix it.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCKCGFnGdm0

But in my words it seems it is caused by overcharging the batteries causing memory loss.

According to the video when a battery keeps getting overcharged it loses the memory of how much power it has. So even though the battery was showing fully charged the memory thought it didn't have much charge so kept "blanking out".

The fix is to buy another rechargeable battery and not over charge them. He said its a common problem because most people finish using the phone and put it back on the charger.

So I bought new batteries and the phone started working again. During my tests a 3rd phone stopped working. But this time I had bought an extra set of batteries (got a 2 pack of 2), so I changed the batteries over and it started working again.

So the moral of the story is to stop putting the phone on the charger as much as probably most of us do.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »

Have always been of the opinion that battery over charging is an issue with Gigaset DECT phones which is a pity as otherwise they are very reliable, have lots of features (depending on the model), good range and very good VOX quality.
Surely incorporating a "smart" charger should not be a big technical challange, Panasonic seems to have managed it as reported by a number of sources earlier in this post.

Yes, should really "cycle" the battery charge with frequent periods off charge but who is going to take the trouble or indeed remember to periodically leave the handsets out of their cradles?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 09:31:24 PM »

Not my experience with my SL78 handsets. When not in use on a call they are permanently in their charger and still retain their charge. Looking back I see they were purchased nearly 10 years ago!! They do use a flat type of battery though which presumably uses some sort of smart charging. Looking inside one of the handsets the battery is a Li-ION type (X445). I’m in shock, where have all those years gone. :o  If asked I would have said the phones were only ~5 years old!!
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 11:04:05 PM »

Our handsets are only ever not on charge when they are being used for calls!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 12:48:29 AM »

I solved the problem!!

That's a bit unfair, tubaman suggested replacing the batteries already in this thread.

The problem you described is a classic case of old batteries that still output full voltage (thus why they show full battery) but are no longer to output their rated current (thus they cut out when you try to use the phone).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

That's a bit unfair, tubaman suggested replacing the batteries already in this thread.

The problem you described is a classic case of old batteries that still output full voltage (thus why they show full battery) but are no longer to output their rated current (thus they cut out when you try to use the phone).

I meant I figured out why it was doing it.

I've heard of overcharging before. But I've never had the experience so didn't expect the battery to still be showing full power.

I think most people would assume the handset broke and bought another handset, or full setup.

In the video I linked he shows older manuals that tell the customer not to leave them on charge because of this problem. But the newer manuals don't for some reason.

I've had the setup since 2014, so getting my monies worth  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »

I just find it bit bizarre that people do not understand that batteries wear out regardless of if you discharge them or not, batteries start to degrade from the day they are manufactured.  If you had constantly fully discharged/recharged them, the exact same thing would have happened, likely sooner as they only handle around 500 cycles.

The newer manuals wont bother to warn you because as above, they'll die anyway so why make it inconvenient for the end user?

Smartphones are much worse, they'll go bad in 2 years if you charge them constantly to 100% and the cheeky manufacturers make it near impossible to replace the batteries without paying them a fortune to do so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3