Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A faulty dect phone problem  (Read 7451 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
A faulty dect phone problem
« on: February 05, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with dect cordless phones?

I have 6 phones and one base. I think that is the maximum allowed.

One of the phones started to turn itself off after pressing a couple of buttons eg. if I wanted to check the phone book it would appear to lose power and turn off. It'll come back on if I either mess with the batteries a little (the battery level is always showing full), or I put it on one of the charge bases.

I bought a new phone but I can't link that phone in to the network without removing the faulty one.

So I have two questions...

1. If I can keep the power on the faulty phone on long enough, is there a hash code I can use to de-register it? I've watched a couple of videos and some of those codes don't work. I think its because I've only seen American videos about de-registering.

2. If I can't de-register the phone using its own keypad, is there a way I can use one of the other phones to select the faulty phone to de-register it? I know the faulty phone is handset 5.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: A faulty dect phone problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »

Does the Base Unit have an interface, for the Yealink Dect Units I sell I deregister handsets from the Base Web Interface

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 12:01:03 PM »

Have you tried different batteries in the problem phone, as they may be the issue.
You should be able to deregister it from any handset, but how that's done depends on the model of phone.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »

I managed to figure out how to deregister them using a different handset. I had to select the top right button (the screen option looks like a domino with 6 dots on) then type #131 and it lists all the phones. Then I moved down the list and select the phone to deregister and it said 'Please Wait' and then beeped and the target phone got deregistered.

There as been another update though. Another of the phones ended up dead when I was checking all the phones before I started the deregister process.

I wish I knew what caused it. It's like its some short circuit. When I manage to get it back on it'll stay on until I start pressing the buttons. But they both show full battery power. It seems a shame to throw them out. Maybe it's an age thing as I have had the 2 phones since March 2014.

I was thinking of buying a new set of phones. But its difficult to tell which is the latest set out due to their overcomplicated naming system, and also it is difficult to find out how many phones each phone set allows.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:58:20 PM »

My BT handsets have what I'd consider a more annoying issue. They work perfectly but their LCDs have died so I can't ever register them to a new base station and I wanted to move them over to a VoIP enabled unit. :(
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »

I did have a BT dect phone but the only problem (major show stopper ???) was if you unplugged the phone line it wiped the saved contacts list... never buying BT one again >:D I have a Gigaset Go850 which covers both line line and Voip connections, oh and you don't lose all the contacts you slaved away putting in ;)
The only honest observation about Gigaset is the rechargeable battery life seems very short before memory effect kicks in i.e. not holding charge, current lot bought in July 2019.
I do have a Panasonic dect phone and still has the original Panasonic batteries in it!

I'm now hunting for Genuine Japanese Panasonic rechargable one's to swap out for these cheap eastern makes  :-X

Max 6 phones per base, but I think you can have more than one base so more handsets.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 05:34:03 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »

I got a cheap Gigaset base station (doesn't come with a handset itself) with the plan to re-use the handsets so kinda annoying it looks like I will also have to get handsets.

My main base unit is Panasonic but the frustrating thing there is the handset that came with that obviously needs to stay in its original base unit, or I'd have to find a plain charge base which likely costs as much as a new handset.

I'd just replace everything with Gigaset handsets for full compatibility, but at least one handset is hardly ever used, its just in the kitchen for when we cant reach the other handsets in time.  I do kinda resent replacing them at all as its not like we use them a lot, but enough to still have them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:44:13 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 09:17:15 AM »

As per "parkdale's" observations on Gigaset DECT's, I have also found that the NiMH batteries have a short life, have had to replace at not much greater than yearly intervals on all 3 handsets.
Always use good quality NiMH cells of various makes and replace as a pair, in this case standard "AA" size.
Can sometimes get a few extra months further usage out of the batteries before replacing by running through a conditioner.
Usual characteristic is handset "dying" on answering a call or trying to access stored calls.

My daughter uses a Gigaset DECT trio with "AAA" NiMH cells and they exibit exactly the same characteristics.

Handset battery indicators always read healthy even with bad cells.

Again, as per "parkdale", I have a very old Panasonic single DECT unit with it's original "AAA" format NiMH cells, never been replaced.

Can only conclude that the Gigaset battery charging system is less than perfect, pity, as otherwise the units perform very well.
Do try to periodically leave the handsets off the chargers to cycle the batteries whenever I remember!
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 09:50:16 AM »

I solved all the above problems by simply doing away with the landline, wherever I am I always have my mobile with me. Of course having a good mobile signal is essential.

My wife still hasn't grasped the idea of keeping her mobile with her, so often misses calls as she doesn't hear hers ring as it's usually left in the kitchen.

We used to have a set of four Dect phones (probably still got them), and they were a pain, batteries giving up, contacts not shared between phones etc. It's nice not to have them any more.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »

Again, as per "parkdale", I have a very old Panasonic single DECT unit with it's original "AAA" format NiMH cells, never been replaced.
Ditto here, two old Panasonic phones still with their original Panasonic branded AAA NiMH cells and still working perfectly. I don't know exactly how old as both were bought second-hand back in about 2014.
Clearly Panasonic have their charging circuitry well sorted.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 10:49:19 AM »

..... contacts not shared between phones etc.
Yes, this can be a real PITA, used to hate trying to keep 6 separate address books in sync. However, Gigaset have an app for that. The contactsPush app works quite well allowing you to sync your address book on phone or tablet to individual or all phones on the base station. Has basic filtering to stop inappropriate entries ending up on the handsets. Its works on the local network, so probably only of use with their VoIP base stations, N300A IP in my case.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »

As an update to the thread. I managed to register the new handset.

But I went back to the Amazon page to order another handset only to find they are 'Currently unavailable'.

So it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new phone set in the near future.

The most annoying thing about these Panasonic phones is the letter/number system they have for the name. I don't know what the 3 letters mean. I can only assume the higher the number the more recent the phone? The naming system is over complicated. I'm surprised no one in the company have suggested making it more simple, for simple people like me.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »

We've had four basic BT cordless handsets for about 8 years. They still have their original Kaifeng 550mAh AAA batteries.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »

Yes, this can be a real PITA, used to hate trying to keep 6 separate address books in sync. However, Gigaset have an app for that. The contactsPush app works quite well allowing you to sync your address book on phone or tablet to individual or all phones on the base station. Has basic filtering to stop inappropriate entries ending up on the handsets. Its works on the local network, so probably only of use with their VoIP base stations, N300A IP in my case.

Its the N300 IP I picked up cheap, any recommendation for handsets for it?  I really need a minimum of three, a huge bonus if one of them could be wall mounted.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 02:56:24 PM »

I use it with a set of SL78H handsets which I'm not sure are still available and a couple of C430HX handsets. They all inter-operate very nicely and decent sound quality, especially over VoIP. None wall mountable though. You can check handset compatibility with your base station here.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything