Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interleaving over night?  (Read 2666 times)

shadow4dog

Re: Interleaving over night?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »

Me too!

Date Ordered: 07-Jan-2021
Order ID: xxxxxxxx
View Order

FTTC Network Migration

Fulfilled on 02/02

Ok... so this makes sense...

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »

UPDATE:
I have logged into my Zen account, I have been marked for a "Network migration" which was applied on the 18th of Jan this year? Its still showing in progress, I wonder if Zen have done a DLM reset on my line from perhaps swapping me over?

I'd imagine a network migration is simply changing the backhaul, I wouldn't think any changes to the DSLAM would be necessary.

I had a network migration in 2016 when I presume they moved me off Openreach to TalkTalk, never noticed a thing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »

I'd imagine a network migration is simply changing the backhaul, I wouldn't think any changes to the DSLAM would be necessary.

I had a network migration in 2016 when I presume they moved me off Openreach to TalkTalk, never noticed a thing.

Perhaps but Zen and TalkTalk aren't the same company, could it be possible that Zen operate differently?

shadow4dog

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 02:03:20 PM »

Another user had a similar issue (line resets with temporary interleve) with Zen WBMC/GEA migration, it was discussed a year ago on this forum. Though I have no idea if this is the same thing.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18945.0.html

I think Zen should tell their users when they plan to migrate their circuits it would save both them and us a lot of wasted time.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »

Another user had a similar issue (line resets with temporary interleve) with Zen WBMC/GEA migration, it was discussed a year ago on this forum. Though I have no idea if this is the same thing.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18945.0.html

I think Zen should tell their users when they plan to migrate their circuits it would save both them and us a lot of wasted time.

Yeah I just stumbled across this myself, looks like a reoccurring theme. I wonder if this persons line ever went back to normal? As at the end the last post hes complaining its still "fubarred" back in 2016 with no more replies.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 02:57:39 PM »

Perhaps but Zen and TalkTalk aren't the same company, could it be possible that Zen operate differently?

I think you misunderstand, I'm with Zen and they use TalkTalk for their backhaul on my exchange.  I never checked before the migration but I assume I was originally provisioned on Openreach backhaul thus the migration.  I wasn't aware of them using different backhaul providers at the time so thought nothing of it.

I think the post above make a good point though, it may depend on the type of migration.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »

I think you misunderstand, I'm with Zen and they use TalkTalk for their backhaul on my exchange.  I never checked before the migration but I assume I was originally provisioned on Openreach backhaul thus the migration.  I wasn't aware of them using different backhaul providers at the time so thought nothing of it.

I think the post above make a good point though, it may depend on the type of migration.

Oh I see, yes I do also recall hearing about that. I am wondering if perhaps recently Zen have created their own backhaul? I remember reading something about Zen wanting to create their own

I believe this https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/broadband-isp-zen-internet-preps-big-uk-network-expansion.html might be it?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »

Yes Zen have their own backhaul in some exchanges, but obviously its not practical to pay for it in an exchange where they may have only one customer, although I do believe their intention is to eventually cover everyone.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »

Yes Zen have their own backhaul in some exchanges, but obviously its not practical to pay for it in an exchange where they may have only one customer, although I do believe their intention is to eventually cover everyone.

I'm wondering if perhaps this is whats happening to me, is there anyway to check which backhaul you're connected to?

Edit: I found where it should be but mine is currently blank, suggests my move over isn't completed yet if I was to guess
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:43:55 PM by sof006 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 04:38:48 PM »

Zen changing your backhaul will trigger a DLM reset, every single time.
On ECI cabinets a DLM reset will give Interleaving.

Zen have no way (no ISP does) to return the line to fastpath unfortunately.
You need to wait for the DLM to do this. Could be a few days to a week.

I'm wondering if perhaps this is whats happening to me, is there anyway to check which backhaul you're connected to?

There's a bit on the Zen portal that tells you if you're on GEA, Talktalk or BTw (or similar naming).
GEA being Zens own backhaul i believe.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

Zen changing your backhaul will trigger a DLM reset, every single time.
On ECI cabinets a DLM reset will give Interleaving.

Zen have no way (no ISP does) to return the line to fastpath unfortunately.
You need to wait for the DLM to do this. Could be a few days to a week.

There's a bit on the Zen portal that tells you if you're on GEA, Talktalk or BTw (or similar naming).
GEA being Zens own backhaul i believe.

Currently showing as nothing for me

I hope it says GEA.

I recall there is a way to take a guess when running a traceroute based on how many hops it takes to reach its destination?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »

I recall there is a way to take a guess when running a traceroute based on how many hops it takes to reach its destination?
Only if you already know how many hops other backhaul providers take from your location.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 04:54:24 PM »

Only if you already know how many hops other backhaul providers take from your location.

As a matter of fact I do...  :-[ I made a log which is at home on my PC. I had to do a tracert to troubleshoot an issue I was having in the past, I believe its roughly 8 hops.

When I get home i'll investigate

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 06:14:49 PM »

Code: [Select]
Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.0.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  unifi.localdomain [192.168.2.5]
  2    21 ms    32 ms    21 ms  vt1.cor1.lond1.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.21]
  3    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  lag-8.p1.thn-lon.zen.net.uk [51.148.73.158]
  4    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  51-148-73-153.dsl.zen.co.uk [51.148.73.153]
  5    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  ip81-59.fastly-gw1.lonap.net [5.57.81.59]
  6    21 ms    21 ms    20 ms  151.101.0.81

It appears the tracert is now showing 6 hops, ping has increased from 14ms to 21ms but I suspect this is because my line is interleaved instead of fastpath.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 08:39:17 PM »

It appears the tracert is now showing 6 hops, ping has increased from 14ms to 21ms but I suspect this is because my line is interleaved instead of fastpath.

As Interleaving typically adds 8ms, that would almost certainly be the case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3