Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting a new phoneline (FTTC)  (Read 2139 times)

Neptunika

• Just arrived
Getting a new phoneline (FTTC)
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »

Hi. I'm getting a new phoneline. This may sound silly but is it okay to let the OpenReach engineer fit it through the PVC window frame? Will they do that and would static or anything cause any problems with anything?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Getting a new phoneline (FTTC)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »

I'm not sure what is the Openreach policy for such situations. Personally, I would prefer not to do so as there is the potential to damage the thermal insulation of the frame member. Other than that, I don't think there would be any other problems.

Just ask the engineer on the day . . . and then please let us know the outcome.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 05:39:26 PM »

For the reasons laid out by Mr Cat above, we are told not to drill through uPVC frames.

Not saying it doesn't happen ... with the customers permission of course ..... but certainly not the norm by a long shot.

An example of doing so would be a mid-terrace property split into two apartments, fed from a back-street pole. Downstairs back room would usually be the kitchen and sometimes tiled throughout. So drilling through the frame is sometimes the only option left. The engineer would need to put good notes on his job to halt getting a defect against his work.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 10:42:05 AM »

What happen when the window needs replacing ?.
Is it your house or rented? If you are not the owner then I am sure the landlord is not going to be very happy.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 06:35:24 PM »

There should be plenty of room between the window frame and the wall to inveigle a cable.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »

There should be plenty of room between the window frame and the wall to inveigle a cable.

But it should also be insulated and be a tighter bend than I personally would be happy with.

When the council replaced our windows they squashed the cable around the frame, I moved it as I wasn't happy with that bend radius.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything