Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Settings with FTTC  (Read 898 times)

pstring

• Just arrived
HG612 Settings with FTTC
« on: January 31, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »

Hi, I recently joined Now Tv and in the past I've always been used to just go with ISP Modem/Routers. At the moment I just want to have a bit more control over my network so I after quite a bit of reading I've got my hands on an HG612 3B that I've successfully flashed with webgui (thanks to the great guide on this forum) just to be overwhelmed by the options I have in front of me on "Basic" and "Advanced" tabs.

I'm going one step at a time, so now I'm onto HG612 webgui settings. Basically it will act as bridge for my linksys.

My first question is, how do I set it to bridge mode ? Or is it something that will happen automatically as soon as I plug Lan1 to wan port on the router ?

2. My service is FTTC. What are the optimal settings for my Modem on "Basic" and "advanced" tabs ? I would like to cover all of them and leave nothing to chance of what the modem preset options at.

Basic

DSL

ATM

PTM

WAN
LAN

Advanced

ROUTING
FIREWALL
NAT
IGMP
QOS (my router has this feature, should this still be on ?)
SNTP
CWMP
UPNP

I'm probably just being a nuisance and overthinking this way too much. Please bear with me. Thank you

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: HG612 Settings with FTTC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »

If its an Openreach unit, it will already be configured for bridge mode.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »

At the moment I just want to have a bit more control over my network so I after quite a bit of reading I've got my hands on an HG612 3B that I've successfully flashed with webgui (thanks to the great guide on this forum) just to be overwhelmed by the options I have in front of me on "Basic" and "Advanced" tabs.

<snip>

I'm probably just being a nuisance and overthinking this way too much. Please bear with me. Thank you

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

As Alex has already mentioned, an Openreach branded Huawei HG612 device will already be configured in bridge mode and all the other default configuration settings are optimum for a VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2) service in the U.K.

By all means take a look at what is available . . . but do it without having the device connected to the incoming telephone line. Once you have seen enough, press and hold the reset button for, say, 10 - 15 seconds then leave the device quiescent for the next 2 - 3 minutes before powering it off. When it is next powered on, all the settings will be appropriate for your NowTV service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »

@pstring The only things I would suggest are...

1) Disable the firewall which is not needed on a bridge modem.
 2) Remove the PTM301 (I think) Wan connection which is the back door to BT, there will be no firmware
     updates as it has been discontinued.
 3) Disable QOS as it can reduce the upload data throughput speed.

Apart from those the default config is all you need. :)

anything