Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT FTTC since upgrade  (Read 513 times)

tinpusher90

• Just arrived
BT FTTC since upgrade
« on: January 30, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »

Afternoon all!

I upgraded my BT broadband package in July 2020 from 'up to 52mb' to Fibre 2 'up to 80mb'. In the confirmation email it advertised expected download speeds of 49-72mb. My distance from the cabinet according to Google (using roads rather than direct is 0.2m/320m).

The speeds kept fluctuating at first and I had a new NTE5C master socket fitted end of July 2020 which helped bring noise margin down to 6db and DSL uptime increased from the standard 7/14 day reset to uninterrupted in excess of 30+ days (last DSL downtime was a BT firmware upgrade 30th Dec).

My speeds have not altered much to the expected range towards 70mb. I am still getting no more than 57mb according to the router stats. What is odd is that according to mybt account login, it still says download range of 49-52mb even though I upgraded to 80mb in July.

I am very confused as to why, considering my distance to cabinet is only approx 300m, I don't have any disconnections and a good master socket, why is it still not improving? I did request a DLM reset last year which altered speed from 52 to 57 (according to router stats). Currently the 'test my speed' on BT website says 53.1mb to hub.

Any help would be appreciated! (Rant over)  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BT FTTC since upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »

Your line is currently pushing the maximum speed it can with a 6dB noise margin on downstream.  That's more than likely the best you'll get as DLM should have kicked in by now if it was able to try lower margins.

Looking at line attenuation it looks like your line is a similar length to mine.  I have two, one gets 56Mbit and the other 67Mbit.  It seems like your line more closely matches my poorer line, there is probably not much you can do about it although you can try reading up on the advice on the site if you haven't already. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

My lines both used to be capable of 79.9Mbit but as more people came online in the area the speeds reduced, that's sadly just how the technology works.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything