Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Topaz Video Enhance AI Upscaling  (Read 820 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Topaz Video Enhance AI Upscaling
« on: January 28, 2021, 12:50:55 AM »

I've been playing with the Topaz Video Enhance for some months now but recently the Artemis v10 model has taken some huge strides.

Upscaling a shitty Amazon 1080p stream to 2160p:

Before:

After:

With the right source material it can bring out insane amounts of detail, sharpen up the image and remove macro-blocking.

It doesn't always look good in stills (but this particular shot I think does), but when in motion on a TV it can look insane.

Video sample even with YouTube compression shows how much detail its brought out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:10:43 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Topaz Video Enhance AI Upscaling
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 10:07:47 PM »

Its still done a good job at enhancing.    I've used some of topaz lab's software years ago with photos, it is remarkably clever at being able to identify wanted and unwanted backgrounds for images - far better than the standard photoshop tools and masks.   

Ive been getting offers from then for about the past 6 months or so from them about their Sharpen AI and De-noise AI products for still images.   Some of the examples are quite remarkable.  They had a really good offer on during BlackFriday when they were offering Studio and a good portion of their other image editing filters for iirc £100.  I was in hospital at the time, so didn't see the email until much later otherwise I may have been very tempted.   Then again perhaps it was for the best as I'm not really doing a lot with images these days.

I hadn't realised they'd moved over to video, but natural and obvious progression.  One thing I like about Topaz is you buy the software and then its yours.   

I really don't much like how a lot of software is now becoming licenced as monthly subscription via the cloud, which means the likes of Photoshop is now far out of reach for the average person.  I didn't mind so much if you saved up and bought it and then it was yours forever.  Whereas now you pay monthly, after 2 years you could have bought it outright at the old pricing, but this way you never,ever own it.  I suppose its a way for them to make more money as I tended to continue to use the boxed version for more than 2yrs.  It never really bothered me that I hadnt got the latest version.   In a way they've also probably lost out because the likes of myself could not justify the pay monthly prices when some months I wouldn't even use it al all.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Topaz Video Enhance AI Upscaling
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 05:41:18 AM »

I've trialed denoise and sharpen, could never get results that seemed any better than just running the files through Gigapixel instead.

I hadn't realised they'd moved over to video, but natural and obvious progression.  One thing I like about Topaz is you buy the software and then its yours.   

While this is true they have moved over to a "you only get updates for a year" model.  To be honest its probably fair, training AI models is not going to be cheap.

Mum is still using Paintshop Pro 7 & 9, although she got fed up with Win10 and I moved her to Linux where it still mostly works but confuses her sometimes due to being more loosly tied into the OS.  I moved over to GIMP a long long time ago.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything