Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Snow Today.  (Read 501 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Snow Today.
« on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:07 PM »

Just been outside clearing snow off my wife's car for work in the morning, It has been snowing all day in South-Derbyshire, seeing how deep the snow is 8" to 10" or more (7" of snow on the Sides of the car  :o) I do not think my wife will be going to work.
It's -4c now and our village has steep hills on each way on the main road, there must be no traffic on the main road as it is so Quite (the main road is lower down to us).
One bonus it looks so pretty even at 11pm.

Anyone else had any ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Snow Today.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 12:35:54 AM »

Just been outside clearing snow off my wife's car for work in the morning, It has been snowing all day in South-Derbyshire, seeing how deep the snow is 8" to 10" or more

At least it's not metric snow that's always so much worse!  ;D
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:10:25 AM »

Anyone else had any ?.

Just a light dusting, here in East Anglia. Nothing much to talk about and it seemed to be washed away by the light rain, just before sunset.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:32 AM »

We had some snow flurries last evening but nothing laid and soon turned to rain. Snow here is quite infrequent as being by the sea it keeps the temperature up, quite cold this morning though but sunny right now.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »

As Stuart says, we had the smallest sprinkling of snow, but it turned to ice so had to scrape the screen this morning - it was frozen solid.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »

At least it's not metric snow that's always so much worse!  ;D
Imperial snow is a lot deeper  ;)

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »

This was my garden last week.
The snow still hasn't mented.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »

Snow here in Skye today. The benefit is the all-time fastest downstream sync rate ever seen, line #4: 3.392 Mbps / 0.582 Mbps up. The four lines combined give us a result from the speed tester speedtest.aa.net.uk of 11.1 Mbps / 1.53 Mbps which is also an all-time fastest downstream measured speed record (10.8 Mbps downstream was the previous best). This is clearly a benefit of RF interference screening provided by the snow blanket combined with the improved resistance due to the lower temperature.

The results would however be a lot better if line #3 were not sickly with a mild dose of the ‘hollow SNR-vs-tones graph’ malady.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:57:40 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:13 PM »

My wife says the snow is melting and is only a half inch thick here now; was two inches deep but there has been drizzle on it all day. The snow might be better on the high moor which is a long, important part of the cable run.