Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Experiments with a Huawei B818-263 and Three 4G  (Read 7845 times)

craigv

Re: Experiments with a Huawei B818-263 and Three 4G
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »

LTE H-Monitor also works with it.
Thanks for mentioning LTE H-Monitor - I'm only now experimenting with mobile broadband myself for the first time (also on Three) this proved invaluable to helping me get the positioning right for the best possible signal :)

So far I've had the same IP, the modem set it's self up with the 3internet APN which apparently results in a public IP address and no NAT at Three's end. Only problem is I can ping the IP 92.x.x.x from my Three mobile, but I can't ping it from my home network, of via TBB Ping monitor, any idea's?
Tbh I'd not tested pinging the connection (as think it may have been blocked at my firewall anyway) but I did test exposing a webserver, and I was able to access that from the big wide interwebs without any hassle, which shocked me at first as I'd pretty much assumed there was going to be NAT.
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 09:06:11 PM »

My IP's changed again, and now I don't have external access again, forced the IP to change several times now and still no go  :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:31 PM »

Just to follow up on this thread, we have been using Three as our broadband connection since the 27 January. I've had no complaints from my daughter, and I really haven't noticed any difference in use myself, apart from the IP address changing frequently.

The IP address has changed multiple times, I even forced some changes, but only once got an IP address that was externally accessible, and this was using the 3Internet APN. Not a major problem, but I prefer to have access to my network when away from home.

So today I made that phone call to VM, and was eventually offered M350 for £38.50 a month (a rise of £1.50), on an 18 month contract. Not particularly keen on an 18 month contract, but given the time of year it will be about 11 months until the next price increase get out option comes along, by then we may have FTTP or 5G available.

So I've accepted the above offer, yes I could have saved some money over the year by moving to Three (£10.60 a month after cashback), but in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be much, and as others have mentioned our 4G could get a lot worse, or we could have 5G become available, but I've decided to play it safe, and it keeps the network tidier as well.

I do have an eBay special 100GB EE SIM to experiment with - we have line of sight to their tower as well, and it's closer than the Three tower, once I've tested that I'll post the results.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »

If you find you need access to home when away you could use NO-IP which is what I've been using for sometime now, it has a small program which runs under windows to keep your IP updated with its records. I use a paid for account which negates the need for any messing around, not expensive for 12 moths at a time. (yes I do have one Windows PC  ;) )

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately that won't work, it's not that I don't know the IP address (pfSense emails my phone every time it changes), its that its behind CGNAT. Only way around CGNAT is to use a suitable VPN, something like what A&A offer.

It is possible to get accessible IP address's from Three, as I did have one, and Three actually state they can help with a static IP address, but I didn't enquire - this was only an experiment in case VM didn't play ball with what I felt was a reasonable price rise compared to theirs.

cacoe

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:46 PM »

As anyone usually is, sorry to kick up an oldish thread :)

I can't believe I'm saying this but I too am interested in Three 4G for my home connection.

Did you stick with it in the longer term? On average, just going by my Three phone speed tests, I seem to average at least double the speed of my wired connection (varies between 60-100mbps) - Maybe it is substantially worse at certain times but I haven't noticed that so far.

Biggest disadvantage seems to be the substantially higher pings, but I don't really game online that much so I think I could live with it.

I can't actually get 5G in my area, other than future proofing (and the fact that 3's 5g modem is much prettier) do you think there's much advantage with going with their "fancier" model?

In fact, do you think it's even worth going with the Three supplied routers at all? From my experience consumer ISP routers in general seem notoriously bad (or I've made many bad choices)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »

Trouble is, the only person whose opinion is any use is someone else on the same tower you'd be using, as it depends entirely on how loaded that tower is.  Even then, exactly how good a signal you get in your house can vary.

From my own experience I used to get the same as you on my phone with Three, but when I used it more consistently I found it would far too often be 2-20Mbit with pings sometimes clocking up to 2000ms.

On the other hand I now use Voxi (Vodafone) for heavy downloads (in addition to VDSL) and that rarely drops below 50Mbit, frequently hitting 120Mbit.

So basically it can be great, it can be terrible, and it can drift between those states at any given moment based on network load.  I'd personally always keep a backup DSL connection for the bad days.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »

Hi cacoe, no I didn't stick with it, I was able to negotiate a price I was happy with for VM 350, so have stayed with them and sold the 4G modem.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything