Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experiments with a Huawei B818-263 and Three 4G  (Read 7842 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Experiments with a Huawei B818-263 and Three 4G
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »

My monthly discount on Virgin is coming to an end, and also there's the 12% price rise notification I've received. So I thought I'd have a look at 4G mobile broadband to see if that was a viable option. Not sure it will be a full time option, but if I do have to cancel Virgin then I need to know how well it will tide us over.

So after a bit of research I ordered a refurbished Huawei B818-263 from efones, which to all intents and purposes looks brand new, the user interface is branded Optus, which is an Austrailian telecoms company. By all accounts the internal antenna's are very good, but there are connections for external anttenna's if required. It's a CAT 19 device, with Carrier Aggregation (this is dynamic) and has bridge mode. LTE H-Monitor also works with it.

I live 440 meters from the closest cell tower, and have direct line of sight from a window. As far as I'm aware there is no 5G, I have no way to test either so I didn't go for the 5G version, which is also double the price.

Screenshots of all the screens in order

I've set up a Windows Batch script using the Speedtest CLI to run regular speed tests to the same server on an Intel NUC that just happens to be in the room with a suitable window. I use Scheduled Tasks to run the script every half an hour between 8am and midnight, then on the hour in until 8am.

Code: [Select]
@echo off

set myfile="C:\Users\Ron\OneDrive\Documents\Results.csv"
for /F %%I in ('curl http://ipecho.net/plain') do set ip=%%I

set timestring=%TIME: =0%
set str=%timestring:~0,5%

set datetimef="%date:~0,2%/%date:~3,2%/%date:~-4% %str%","%ip%",

SPEEDTEST -s 37471 -f csv >Speedtest.csv

set /P var=<Speedtest.csv

ECHO %datetimef%%var% >>%myfile%

The fastest download speed test so far is

and the slowest - no idea why this one is so slow, the two either side were 67 and 88 Mbps.

the average download is 96.46Mbps, and the average upload is 22.32 Mbps

Fastest upload has been 31.44 Mbps, and slowest 9.61 Mbps

The speed test ping ranges between 16.668 to 98.979 with an average of 45.44.

Jitter ranges between 0.105 and 20.974, average of 4.02.

I'm going to create some graphs, and see how things look on there, it's would be nice if the Speedtest CLI allowed you to link the speed test results to an account, but like the Android and Windows Apps I don't this is possible.

So far I've had the same IP, the modem set it's self up with the 3internet APN which apparently results in a public IP address and no NAT at Three's end. Only problem is I can ping the IP 92.x.x.x from my Three mobile, but I can't ping it from my home network, of via TBB Ping monitor, any idea's?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Experiments with a Huawei B818-263 and Three 4G
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »

. . . I ordered a refurbished Huawei B818-263 from efones, which to all intents and purposes looks brand new, the user interface is branded Optus, which is an Austrailian telecoms company.

:hmm:  I wonder how different a vanilla Huawei device would be when compared with the Optus branded version?

Thank you for your first report (I hope that there will be more in the future) and all of the images -- which will now take a while to examine.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:54:18 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:16:08 PM »

:hmm:  I wonder how different a vanilla Huawei device would be when compared with the Optus branded version?

Having just flicked through this video of the 5G version the user interface looks identical, the only difference I noticed was the ability to set a time period for the indicator LED to be off.

PS. There will be some more reports to follow, but this is new territory to me.

pob

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »

Thanks for the detailed screenshots.
As you've already found, the user interface is identical to my 5G Hub from Three (Huawei CPE Pro H112-370).  Three have locked down the firmware though so a number of features are not accessible such as bridge mode and DNS changes. 
I would have liked to bridge my 5G Hub into my Velop mesh WiFi system.  Instead I've had to use the 5G Hub as the router and put the Velop into plain access point mode.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »

I haven't yet tried Bridge mode yet, it doesn't appear to locked on mine, I will give it a try at some point. I'll probably run it our network off it for a while just to see how it all performs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:52:15 PM »

Well speeds are all over the place, which is to be expected

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:48:53 PM »

A couple of differences have come to light between the vanilla Huawei device and the Optus branded one.

On the vanilla Huawei one when CA is in use the home page shows 4G+ (mine does not), this changes on the fly and on the device information page the vanilla one doesn't have CA mode displayed.

PS. Had a change of IP address at 1am this morning, so that's the first change in 13 days, this time I can actually ping it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:52:55 PM by Ronski »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »

After yesterdays IP change I was able to setup up a ping monitor, you can see my automated speed tests.

Someone over on the ISP Review thread posted a youtube link for how to change (debrand??) the firmware on the B618 (SIX 18), so I'm guessing the B818 will be similar, but apparently firmwares are very hard to find for the B818. I won't be trying, not at the moment anyway.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JhLyrT6Gp-M[/youtube]

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »

Just switched the whole house over to the Three connection, this will be interesting, especially to see if I get any complaints from my daughter tomorrow  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 08:58:21 PM »

Bridge mode seems to be working, updated the VPN on my phone with the new IP and I can now VPN from my phone to my home Network.

PS. And thanks to Chrysalis Pfsense notified me of the IP address change, so looks like things are working so far.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:01:50 PM by Ronski »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »

Someone over on the ISP Review thread posted a youtube link for how to change (debrand??) the firmware on the B618 (SIX 18), so I'm guessing the B818 will be similar, but apparently firmwares are very hard to find for the B818.

I took a look at that YouTube video and have to say it would not be something I would be willing to risk on a different device, a B818 . . . Even if I had a B618 I wouldn't feel confident, as the video was essentially useless at imparting the relevant information.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:44 PM »

I took a look at that YouTube video and have to say it would not be something I would be willing to risk on a different device, a B818 . . . Even if I had a B618 I wouldn't feel confident, as the video was essentially useless at imparting the relevant information.

I did something similar with my b525 to install mod firmware using the following guide: http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?t=50771

I find Huawei pretty indestructible for a modem, killed far too many smartphones though

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »

I did something similar with my b525 to install mod firmware using the following guide: http://www.bez-kabli.pl/viewtopic.php?t=50771

Thank you for sharing that link. I've made a note to check it, sometime tomorrow.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 06:19:03 AM »

I agree, and seeing as it working perfectly in bridge mode there's no point.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »

Thank you for sharing that link. I've made a note to check it, sometime tomorrow.

The 4pda forum has a long topic on the B818: https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=953767
Google Translate is needed.

I see Vodafone have just launched the B818 as a 4G Gigacube: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/vodafone-uk-launch-4g-gigacube-b818-mobile-broadband-plans.html
Pages: [1] 2

anything