Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Router auto discover if its connected to adsl or vdsl cabinet  (Read 4719 times)

chuffer

Re: Router auto discover if its connected to adsl or vdsl cabinet
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 09:50:11 PM »

It's not really relevant but just to correct my bad...............  ( incorrect information )

When the Hub1's did their auto swop from Adsl to Vdsl it did NOT change the SSID or wifi password.

chuffer

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »

ejs

I have sent you a PM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 07:56:21 PM »

There's a custom OpenWRT configuration that iamacarpet did for a1comms for an automatically configured ADSL or VDSL bridge using a Netgear DM200 for Plusnet https://github.com/a1comms/openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge

All that's in the network file is the parameters of VDSL vlan or ADSL vci & vpi.
https://github.com/a1comms/openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge/blob/master/files/etc/config/network

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 08:21:18 PM »

Please do not send me private messages that would be better addressed to the wider community. If I have nothing (further) to contribute, then I tend to not say anything (else). Especially if your problem is relatively minor, and if vast amounts of time and resources have already been expended on it, then I can only suggest that you just live with it and not waste any more time on it. Eventually you may discover that this guaranteed minimum speed thing is not an actual guaranteed that you will receive that speed, it just means that if you're not getting it and they can't fix it, then you can leave your contract if you don't like it. I do realise that this isn't what people want to hear, so usually I don't say it.

chuffer

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 01:51:14 PM »

ejs.

I seem to have offended you for which I apologise, never my intention.
If you had responded to my PM requesting PM's, even with a simple, no,  we could have avoided the bad feeling that been generated here.
You had an interesting comment about Adsl and Vdsl firmware portions being loaded that might be worth exploring directly with you.
As you suggest I will post it here.

chuffer

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »

My requirement is the upgrade the firmware of my Zyxel and as it was supplied by an ISP it has been modified including the removal of that and some other options.
I found a post from 2019, from some of those that have also posted here, so I now the the supervisor password and that has restored the ability of some missing menu items.
I'm not fully up to speed with all the variations of the clearing of Rom-d etc so could somebody clear a few points for me.

1    If I just upgrade to the latest firmware, using the now available menu option, will that change the supervisor password ?.
2    Also missing is the ability to disable the TR69 function, is it best to make any changes like this before the upgrade ?.
or    will the upgrade create an completely unmodified firmware and GUI ?.
3    Do I need to do a pin reset after the upgrade ?.

I'm not setup to clear Rom-d

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »

@chuffer, in reply to your questions above:
1. A firmware upgrade should not change the supervisor password. Do not clear ROM-D first however as then I believe it will scramble the supervisor password.
2. The TR069 functions should be available if logged in as supervisor. The upgrade won't change any settings so it shouldn't matter if you clear these before or after the upgrade.
3. If you haven't cleared ROM-D than a pinhole reset will restore the original ISP's settings. I usually get my setup as I like it and then write that to ROM-D.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

chuffer

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »

I'm not sure I'm on the right page but I'm doing my best to keep up, not being au fait with the principal it's hard to follow the nuance.

1     Ok got that.
2    Yes, the TR69 tab can be seen only as supervisor under maintenance same with upgrade.

I thought/hoped that an install of original firmware downloaded from Zyxel would end up without any of the previously modified GUI, i.e hidden items.
It has been posted "That "rom file", as provided with the firmware package, is the "vanilla" template for CPs to customise and then upload to the device to be the ROM-D data."

So I expected the download to contain the rom image without any modifications.
If that is correct, would it not as part of the upgrade replace the ISP's image ?.

There is a button to      restore default settings after firmware upgrade    is that my settings or as originally supplied ?
Might this function replace the new clean image with what was there before the upgrade ?.

Both TR69 and firmware are not hidden from admin user in a retail product. ( although seen in another model )
I could see a ISP supplied device having the TR69 function etc enabled but a retail purchase would have it disabled.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 08:02:30 PM »

When logged in as Supervisor there's a menu called "Login Privileges" where you can set what menu items you wish to show the admin account.

I would clear rom-d and then upgrade the firmware.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 07:27:44 AM »

I would clear rom-d and then upgrade the firmware.
With the recent Zyxel versions I'm pretty sure that doing that will scramble the Supervisor password.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »

I thought/hoped that an install of original firmware downloaded from Zyxel would end up without any of the previously modified GUI, i.e hidden items.
It has been posted "That "rom file", as provided with the firmware package, is the "vanilla" template for CPs to customise and then upload to the device to be the ROM-D data."

So I expected the download to contain the rom image without any modifications.
If that is correct, would it not as part of the upgrade replace the ISP's image ?.

There is a button to  restore default settings after firmware upgrade    is that my settings or as originally supplied ?
Might this function replace the new clean image with what was there before the upgrade ?.

Upgrading the firmware using Zyxel's version will leave the configuration untouched. This has certainly been the case with ex John Lewis and ex KCOM units that I have used.
The 'restore defaults after upgrade' option will restore the config from ROM-D. If you have not changed it then that will be the original ISP's config.
Personally the only thing I'm keen to do on an ISP supplied unit is to get TR069 disabled so there's no risk of it 'phoning home' and getting an unwanted config change.

chuffer

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »

VMG3925-B10B Ex Kcom

jOhn.
Yes I do have Login Privileges but the only option there is to change the supervisor password.

tubaman
I would also be happy to just disable the TR69 stuff, which I have now been able to do  :-))
However, if I could also find the option jOhn suggests to put into the open the missing menu items, then any loss of the current supervisor password would not be an issue.

As an aside...........  I have had agreeable contact with Zyxel who asked for the serial number and offered two password hexdex numbers, neither of which worked. ( of course this was before I found the other 2018 post)
When registering for support I was asked for model, serial, and firmware version, but the agent only asked for serial.

The question, buried here is.
If the super password is connected to the serial number and a firmware upgrade "might" replace the rom-d file, where is is likely stored, would the super they gave me now be valid ?.

Any further thoughts on...........
 "That "rom file", as provided with the firmware package, is the "vanilla" template for CPs to customise and then upload to the device to be the ROM-D data."

I have downloaded the zip and ROM is a separate file, from as far as I've got there is no way of knowing if that will get installed at the same time via the upgrade button or needs to be installed separately (via ftp ?.)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »

The rom file is used to update the config and will not be used during a firmware update - there is a separate option in the GUI to upload it.
The supervisor password is held in encrypted form (in /var/passwd I believe). As you say it seems to relate to the serial number somehow, but Zyxel are the only ones who know exactly how that works. Members here who can decrypt it do it via brute force methods.

chuffer

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »

tubeman.

Looks as though there are other differences to the firmware,  current V5.11(AAVF.3)C0  , as not only do I have only one option under Login Privileges I do not see anywhere a GUI option to upgrade the rom-d ( not that I want to do it ), if I could edit it that might be different.
Maybe the upgrade will change the options.

I'm sure you have seen these.
https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=004911&lang=EN
https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=013727&lang=EN

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

If that is the old Zyxel blue background GUI then there should be a ROM-D tab under Maintenance>Configuration when logged in as supervisor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3