Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.Fast or Bonded ADSL  (Read 1167 times)

Pony1982

G.Fast or Bonded ADSL
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »

Any advice? OpenReach told me that my house is on the border of where G.Fast can work, but have enabled it for me. Question now is whether I should get 2xbonded ADSL likes at about 60mbit down each or G.Fast at around 120-150 down. Of course the bonded ADSL gives me a little bit more resilience, but keen to get your views on what an optimal solution here might be

thanks

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: G.Fast or Bonded ADSL
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »

If G.Fast will work at that speed then I'd go with that. Two bonded VDSL lines will cost more and I'm also not sure how many ISP's will offer you the bonded service.
I'd also be asking myself why I actually need a 120+Mbps service as I can currently do everything I need with a 40Mbps VDSL service. More speed would of course be nice to have, but I don't actually need it.
 :)

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

bkehoe

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »

See what upload speed you get with G.Fast when it's installed as that tends to be lower at the limits than VDSL and then decide if that's an issue and warrants the expense and hassle of having to get 2 of everything for a bonded/load balanced VDSL connection.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:58:20 PM »

What does the BT Wholesale checker say for your speeds? If you haven't checked already.

I would personally stay away from bonding since you'd need a specific provider that supports it, and then you've got the cost of additional hardware - it's going to be more expensive. It may add more resilience, but only up to a point since your other line is almost certainly coming from the same place.

If the G.fast estimates look good to you, and you need/want that speed, just go for it. Just bear in mind that if you're on the edge of coverage, your upload speeds may be slower than a single VDSL line even if the downstream is greater.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »

Good advice given by all already.

I have four bonded ADSL lines, ultra long ADSL2 with a downstream sync rate of ~3Mbps, 0.5 Mbps upstream. I get a real measured TCP throughput of ~10.5 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up. It works very well indeed and the reliability is 100%.

Pony1982

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:27:19 AM »

Thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to go for g.fast and avoid the costs/hassle of bonding. I have my own routing setup here, any advice on which modem to get?

THanks

bkehoe

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »

What ISP did you order from; there's a possibility you could get an Openreach MT992 modem supplied?

If BT you'll get a Smart Hub 2 which I can't fault at all - had over 90 days uptime (and link uptime) with mine in one go before I needed to reset it, and it gives slightly better line stats than the Zyxel XMG3927 I tested last summer (ended up sending it back as IPV6 wouldn't work on it, not an issue if used just as a bridge). Albeit the only negative is that it won't let you bridge if you feel you have to use your own router. I'm pretty sure you could use the XMG3927 as a bridge just like other Zyxel routers so that'd be what I'd recommend if you needed to bridge. If not stick to the SH2.

The only more recent alternative seems to be the Draytek 166 but its early firmware seems to have a lot of issues and as your gfast estimates are low I certainly wouldn't put a modem known to have high errors onto it.

Pony1982

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 07:50:13 AM »

What ISP did you order from; there's a possibility you could get an Openreach MT992 modem supplied?

If BT you'll get a Smart Hub 2 which I can't fault at all - had over 90 days uptime (and link uptime) with mine in one go before I needed to reset it, and it gives slightly better line stats than the Zyxel XMG3927 I tested last summer (ended up sending it back as IPV6 wouldn't work on it, not an issue if used just as a bridge). Albeit the only negative is that it won't let you bridge if you feel you have to use your own router. I'm pretty sure you could use the XMG3927 as a bridge just like other Zyxel routers so that'd be what I'd recommend if you needed to bridge. If not stick to the SH2.

The only more recent alternative seems to be the Draytek 166 but its early firmware seems to have a lot of issues and as your gfast estimates are low I certainly wouldn't put a modem known to have high errors onto it.

I’m currently with AAISP, but considering using Zen for gfast, mainly because of the unlimited downloads vs the 2TB restriction with AAISP. A couple of XBOX games could quite easily push me over the limit I think.

bkehoe

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »

A few months ago Zen were supplying the standalone modem along with a Fritzbox for gfast anyway so you'd be good with that!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:54:58 PM »

Zen seem to be offering a £40 voucher on referrals at the moment, so if you want to do that just send me a private message.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »

I'm sure others here know better than me, but one issue could be the upload speed - if I've understood correctly, you can potentially get a reduction in upload speed when switching from VDSL to G.Fast, so two bonded VDSL could perhaps more than double your upload speed.

But as others have said, it's an expensive option, and limits your choices of ISPs and routers.

anything