Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: VMG3925-B10C - Not Authenticating  (Read 10642 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
VMG3925-B10C - Not Authenticating
« on: January 20, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »

Ey up (again) gang....

I just picked up a VMG3925-B10C from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZYXEL-Wireless-AC-N-VDSL2-Gateway-Router-VMG3925-B10C-Gaming-Video-HD/274630722469  after some discussion on the other thread, but....

I can't get it to authenticate on my talktalk line. I even found a bod on the TT forums who gave his settings for that model, but nope, this one won't authenticate even with duplicating his settings. One thing that strikes me as a bit odd with it is that, out of the box and after a factory reset (after me messing around for a while attempting to get it to authenticate), is that is seems to have a plusnet-looking username pre-populated in the box..plusnet fw maybe??

So, any tips on setting it up on my line? I'm ex-tiscali so don't have a talktalk e-mail/username if that makes any difference. Also, bod on tt forum left username & pw blank on his, but the one I've got won't even try, just gives an error if the user/pw boxes left blank.

I've got a few days to try and get it running before I go back to seller for a refund, so if anyone can help please??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VMG3925-B10C - Not Authenticating
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:45 PM »

For your TT VDSL2 connection, have you tried GunJack as the username and dummy as the password?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:37:08 PM »

Attached talk talk FTTC settings

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:38:43 PM »

For your TT VDSL2 connection, have you tried GunJack as the username and dummy as the password?  :-\

I usually put the phone number of the line in to get past thay

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »

lol, Mr. B-cat I am certainly feeling a bit like that with it... been away from this stuff for too long and seem to have forgotten most of what I knew!!

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »

Attached talk talk FTTC settings

that looks exactly like what I found and tried, with no joy :(

I'll have a go with the phone number, see if that does it..... I would really like to get it going, especially as it syncs 7 meg more than the TT wifi hub....

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »

Can you post some screenshots of your config pages as that should help us diagnose the issue.
It's highly unlikely that it is physically faulty if it syncs with the line ok.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »

Can you post some screenshots of your config pages as that should help us diagnose the issue.
It's highly unlikely that it is physically faulty if it syncs with the line ok.

I will do...limited with when I can get to try it, what with working from home, but will get them up soon  :thumbs:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »

Just in case it helps I have taken screenshots of my Broadband config screen on my VMG3925 using Talktalk, 3 images as I had to scroll down!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »

@broadstairs what's that option 60 bit?

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »

I'll have a go with the phone number, see if that does it..... I would really like to get it going, especially as it syncs 7 meg more than the TT wifi hub....
Something doesn't sound right here. As posted by meritez in the screenshot, TalkTalk use IPoE/DHCP on VDSL, not PPPoE. When you select IPoE on your Zyxel, the boxes for username and password should disappear since there can't be any authentication for a straight up IPoE connection (ignoring the Option 61 stuff Sky do). Are you sure you have IPoE selected?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:28:38 PM by siofjofj »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 07:18:58 PM »

@Broadstairs I was also wondering what that DHCP Option 60 is. I googled a bit and found your thread on the TT forum, where there was a post where the TT network people said it shouldn't be necessary. It seems to be a Vendor ID check (i.e. the router connecting to the service) for DHCP so if you have Zyxel modem/router it can't be right. ??? Or perhaps TT just ignore it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »

@Broadstairs I was also wondering what that DHCP Option 60 is. I googled a bit and found your thread on the TT forum, where there was a post where the TT network people said it shouldn't be necessary. It seems to be a Vendor ID check (i.e. the router connecting to the service) for DHCP so if you have Zyxel modem/router it can't be right. ??? Or perhaps TT just ignore it.

I can't remember why or when I put that in all I can say is my VMG3925 syncs and authenticates with no problem at all with ALL those settings as shown.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 11:04:44 PM »

WooHoo!!! Mr broadstairs, you are a star Sir :) 

Those screenshots you posted did the trick, matched your settings including the DHCPC bit, and it's online :)

By the look of it, I may be on a different firmware to you, my GUI isn't as smooth and it's a bit clunky, also the 5GHz wifi seems a bit odd.

On the plus side, I've traded a couple of meg up for an extra 7 meg down compared to the TT Wifi Hub :)

...but if I can't get the 5GHz sorted, I might have to resort to the TT Hub as a wifi access point :(

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »

Great news on the sync front  :yay:

What's up with the 5GHz wifi - is it not visible or can't you connect to it?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5