Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scary Times :(  (Read 1150 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Scary Times :(
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 03:50:01 AM »

the hospital on releasing him said he we clear of the virus and did not have the virus anymore

A note on this - it's entirely possible to be clear of the virus and still test positive.  Quite a high percentage of patients will test positive for weeks after having had the virus. There's even a few cases that hit the news during the earlier days of the pandemic, such as the woman who couldn't visit or touch her newborn for ~2 months after recovery because she was still testing positive.

After numerous studies, it's accepted that the lungs continue to shed dead cells containing tiny amounts of the viral RNA which are detected by PCR tests even after the virus has broken down and long after the patient is better and no longer infectious.   I'm not sure about the flow tests other than to say I still showed covid positive after 14days using a rapid flow test. All my other tests after that were PCR and it took me 5-6 weeks to get a negative result.  A few other people I know personally have taken between 4-6 weeks to get a negative result despite being well for weeks.     

NHS guidelines are patients are infectious before symptoms appear during incubation period and for 10 (it used to be 14) days after symptoms first started as long as they have no new symptoms. CDC categorically states that you are no longer infectious 10 days after symptoms first appeared as long as you don't still have a fever or worsening symptoms.

>>  especially middle aged and older men,

Ive heard that a few times, dating back to last summer.   I've also heard nurses gossip about smokers being less likely to catch it, or at least experiencing lesser symptoms.   Even if that were true - and googling it there is some educational/medical hypotheses why -  it's hardly the sort of thing the NHS would promote.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:35:14 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »

I hear it's more and more difficult to find emergency cover for unforeseen absences in care homes.

cats and dogs may need vaccination

and finally

EU may try to limit exports to UK

[Moderator edited to fix the two broken links.]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:22:03 PM by burakkucat »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »

cats and dogs may need vaccination

That seems a very ill advised article that will result in people dumping cats & dogs before we even know IF that's going to be necessary, as all reports thus far has been the current strains do NOT pass to dogs & cats.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken quotation of the broken link.]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:25:28 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 11:30:18 PM »

Similar thoughts ran through my mind as there were some horrid reports coming out of China the first time the rumour did the rounds. :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »

That seems a very ill advised article that will result in people dumping cats & dogs before we even know IF that's going to be necessary, as all reports thus far has been the current strains do NOT pass to dogs & cats.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken quotation of the broken link.]
Alex. Cats and dogs may need Covid vaccine to curb infections, scientists say from a possibly better news source seems to suggest otherwise, as does the Danish mink farm incident in 2020.

As to pet dumping, that would be irresponsible and made punishable. Remember Mrs Pumphrey from All Creatures? Such owners who spoil their pets are good candidates fo passing on/receiving Covid.

[Edited to correct link (missing I in Independent) - roseway]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:26:16 PM by roseway »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 10:20:17 PM »

Well it has been advised to keep cats indoors during the pandemic to avoid the risk of it passing on their fur, few seem to have done so.

Fortunately our eldest had already become a house cat as he got old and senile, we no longer trust him to stay out of danger.
Our youngest we decided from the day we got her she would be a house cat as mum couldn't handle worrying about them being outside, especially as there was that spate of cat killings at the time.

Current wisdom seems to be its not really detrimental to keep a domesticated cat indoors, as long as they play its enough excercise.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »

A note on this - it's entirely possible to be clear of the virus and still test positive.  Quite a high percentage of patients will test positive for weeks after having had the virus.

The man who the hospital tested said He Had Not Got It, (He had not been in hospital for covid, other health problems)  so he was transported back to the care home, There policy is anyone coming back from hospital is put in isolation, he was test in the home and found to be 'Positive' with the rapid and PCR.
12 staff have got it and 10 residents, sadly one resident has passed away with it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]