Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scary Times :(  (Read 1151 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Scary Times :(
« on: January 19, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »

Scary times .

The care home my wife works in doing the Admin locked down well before the first official lockdown and has kept covid free until today.

Some times the residents have to spend a short time in Hospital, one who had been in the home for a long time was 98 when she went in Derby hospital before Xmas never came out she got covid in hospital and passed away.

Today two more residents were due to come back to the home one tested positive at the hospital and the care home manager would not accept her back, the other one was tested negative and came back to the home and was tested strait away and was Positive  :o :( .

Now thanks to the hospital it's not only put all the home residents at risk but all the staff as they only just had there vaccine jabs, it's also put all the family's at risk as well.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Scary Times :(
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »

My wife works at the hospital and sometimes they have to do several tests, test too soon and it doesn't show up, Keep a patient in longer and they risk catching it later and still not showing up. A bit catch 22 really.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 11:41:05 PM »

The other thing is don't rely on the lateral flow test (home test) kits. They are worse than useless. My sister tested negative with one of them when she definitely did have COVID (confirmed by a day later proper PCR test).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:14:01 AM »

My wife has to do a home test twice a week, as do other staff members, some have tested positive with them, and then have a positive PCR test. Yes they are not so accurate but better than nothing.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 07:57:44 AM »

... Yes they are not so accurate but better than nothing.
Agree. My daughter's school uses them, and they found a number of asymptomatic pupils (confirmed via PCR test) via this route.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 12:44:38 PM »

To be fair, hospitals, rest and nursing homes are in an awful bind with, as my daughter tells me, working long hours to find accommodation, numerous and increasing homes
closing.
As to testing negative then a day later positive. tests are just a snapshot like the MOT, so it's bound to happen, as will excrement.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »

I was talking to the Occ Health doctor at my work today and she told me that in addition to ethnic differences the virus is also a much bigger threat to men than woman, especially middle aged and older men, she told me that women are much less likely to have serious illness and men are twice as likely to die (than women)

I thought this was interesting as I haven't heard this widely reported so I did some googling and it does seem to be corroborated by some data.  The link suggests in England for every 10 deaths among confirmed cases in women there are 15 in men, which is pretty signfiicant.

Obviously as a middle aged man there is not much comfort in this news but interesting to be aware of nonetheless.

Hoping every is keeping / staying safe

C

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 01:46:22 PM »

The other thing is don't rely on the lateral flow test (home test) kits. They are worse than useless. My sister tested negative with one of them when she definitely did have COVID (confirmed by a day later proper PCR test).

You do know that a PCR test the day before could also have been negative?
I find comments like that a little irresponsible.

An email from my sons school...

We are  working  to  keep  <school name removed>  as  safe  as  possible.  You  may  have heard  that  across  the  country  those  without  symptoms  will  be  tested  using  new, quicker  ‘lateral  flow’  Covid-19  tests.  We  will  be  testing  staff  and  Hub  pupils  once a  week  from  20/01/2021,  for  those  working  and  attending  <school name removed> on  a voluntary  basis.

To  reach  this  stage,  the  test  has  been  tested  at  Public  Health  England’s research  laboratories  in  partnership  with  Oxford  University  and  is  totally  safe, with  a  99.8%  specificity.  Testing  is  free.    We  have  been  working  on  this  with Scottish  government  colleagues  and  other  organisations  over  a  number  of weeks.

99.8% specificity.
Not quite worse than useless.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »

On the other hand there's this https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/01/12/covid-19-government-must-urgently-rethink-lateral-flow-test-roll-out/

I'm sure my wife said one of the nurses tested negative, but wasn't convinced so had a proper test and tested positive.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »

I'm fairly sure that it's officially recognised that a positive result with the PCR lateral flow test is quite reliable, but a negative result is not. So it can be very useful for quickly testing a group of people and picking out some of the symptomless infected people. Getting all of them takes longer.

[Sorry, I mixed up the tests, now corrected]

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:39:53 PM by roseway »
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:32 PM »

Not looking good at the care home my wife works at, Two Carers and three residents now have the virus  :(
The person who was let out of hospital with it has No sings or symptoms but defiantly has it.
The infected residents are all in isolation.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 06:31:49 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that, it only takes one person to bring it in and it's very difficult to stop, I'm not sure of the source, but the same happen at the care home where my very elderly aunt was.

I'm sure my wife said one of the nurses tested negative, but wasn't convinced so had a proper test and tested positive.

I spoke to my wife, and the above is incorrect, they thought she may have it but in fact didn't.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »

I'm not sure of the source.
As I put in 'post one' A resident of the home had to go in hospital for three weeks and he picked the virus up in Hospital, the hospital on releasing him said he we clear of the virus and did not have the virus anymore so the home manager had him back and put him in 'Isolation' and tested him and he was positive.

Another carer has now gone down with it and and another resident (the wife of someone I used to work with many moons ago ).  :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 10:13:20 PM »

I was referring to the source at my late aunties care home.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »

I was referring to the source at my late aunties care home.
:-[
Pages: [1] 2