Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: issue with openreach advice please  (Read 5706 times)

gjm

Re: issue with openreach advice please
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »

Clive Selley  - firstname.surname@openreach.co.uk

The location of P5 will have power, even if you can't identify it and the properties to be uplifted are decided by BDUK when it comes to public funding..

Still email the CEO and let us know what happens

its funny you say that its decided by bduk, because the properties that are served by cabinet p5 are more expensive houses (£700,000+), the 12 properties missed off are worth a lot less......... the council deny of course that this was done on purpose, but im not so sure..

I will email clive and say about the issues etc and see what he says (if anything)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:24:57 PM by gjm »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »

Clive.selley @ openreach.com

They can't bring fibre from a fibre cabinet to your home**

Fibre for FTTP comes from an underground node. It's where the fibre for the fibre cabinet also comes from.
There's other passive equipment needed between that fibre source and your home.

**OpenReach have a new deployment method where they can install a Subtended Head End (S.H.E/mini OLT) next to a cabinet and build FTTP from there.
It's expensive and complex so is only used in rural areas where properties are too far to receive FTTP by the normal deployment method.
Using a Subtended Head End increases the range that FTTP can be deployed from an exchange.
It would almost certainly be cheaper to build from the existing node than to build a S.H.E from the cabinet.

It also isn't free to have OpenReach build FTTP to you where none exists.
It's called FTTPoD (on demand) and every single quote I've seen in the last year or 2 had been a minimum £7-8k.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »

There is also power in that obvious place as theres a street lamp right next to it, where they eventually put it, no power and less access to lines, so it doesnt make sense at all.

There's a street light very close to our cabinet which is on the opposite side of the road to the entrance to our cul-de-sac. They didn't use that but instead dug across the main road and up the pavement to outside our house to pick up the mains cable feeding the houses.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

gjm

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »

so theres not many options then, either wait and hope we dont get missed again or pay thousands. not ideal. the obvious fix would be somehow getting openreach to connect the 12 properties to cabinet 5 but that seems extremely hard to persuade them to. We cant stream anything because of buffering, kids cant play online games because of lag , the broadband is useless for day to day browsing too as it drops out when you need it.

all because bduk/wiltshire council thought we were already superfast when they installed the cabinet, when clearly they didnt properly check as were nowhere near superfast speed. or they just didn't care?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »

Have you contacted Ian Blair-Pilling?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:12 PM »

Email Clive Selley stating that when the new cabinet was installed that the 12 houses weren't connected to it and therefore you are still getting slow speeds, you might get lucky. Keep the email simple, polite and to the point.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gjm

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 01:14:21 PM »

Email Clive Selley stating that when the new cabinet was installed that the 12 houses weren't connected to it and therefore you are still getting slow speeds, you might get lucky. Keep the email simple, polite and to the point.

Have done just that, fingers crossed.

gjm

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »

Ohh got this today;

Subject: SI C30035529 I have been told to contact you by Wiltshire council

Good Afternoon Mr Mj*****,

Thank you for your email to Clive.

I’m Sarah from Openreach Executive Complaints team and I’ll be dealing with this on his behalf.

I'm really sorry to hear you’re having problems with slow internet speeds, please be assured I’ll now be looking into this for you. I’d really like to have a chat with you about this tomorrow, when’s best for you? May I take the best contact number for you?

I am usually in the office from 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday, if you see a 0800 number calling it might be me.

In the meantime, if you need anything my direct contact details are below.

Best wishes

Sarah,

Sarah <Removed Surname>
Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team
Openreach

[Moderator edited to remove the surname.]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:28:32 PM by burakkucat »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 08:56:50 PM »

That's good, but would be a good idea to edit out her surname, anyone could very easily work out her email address.

gjm

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 06:06:24 PM »

got the phone call today, she understood our position and said it wasn't fair that a few in the village have such slow and unstable speeds compared to the rest.

She said she would work on my side to get better service and was going to talk to planning team. (maybe fttp in the pipeline as the fibre comes into the road right near our property apparently ;) )

She will call me back next thursday to update me on the situation. Lovely conversation and such a kind lady.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:09:57 PM by gjm »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:30 PM »

Don't get you're hopes up too much, but it does sound promising  :fingers:

PS. If there is a fibre node that close and nothing comes of this, it may be worth getting an FTTP on demand quote, but they are usually pretty expensive.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:43:35 PM by Ronski »

gjm

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »

ok no update from openreach lady until thursday but heard back from my local councillor with weird results.

He replied with this ;

Dear Gavin

Thank you for your email.

I have asked the Wiltshire Online team to look into your query as I believe you have been in contact with them over the past few months.  I can advise the following:

•   Your premises was not moved to the closer cabinet when the local copper network rearrangement took place as you received >24Mbps which at the time precluded you from a EU State Aid funded intervention, being classed as already served with a superfast broadband connection.
•   Your premises is now not able to be moved to the new cabinet as this would add an additional 200 metres to the copper line length.  Openreach have to ensure they adhere to the ‘Universal Service Agreement’ (USA).  The USA looks at the existing service across an ADSL (copper) connection, and Openreach cannot move customers from one cabinet to another, if it will have an adverse effect on their ADSL speeds (i.e. by adding further copper cable). The reason for this is that Openreach and ourselves cannot be in a position whereby a resident has to spend more by upgrading to a fibre service because we have downgraded the service from the speeds they were able to achieve across copper; we do of course understand that whilst fibre is very important to some residents, not all will want to take advantage of the improved service.

I note that your complaint is that you are unable to access superfast speeds.  Accordingly, our team asked Openreach to undertake a live test of the service available to your premises; this is a remote check on the connection from the cabinet to your modem/router in your premises.  This shows that the service available to your premises is circa 39Mpbs:

Of course there are many factors that affect the available speeds once the connection enters your premises.  These can include the location and age of the router within the home, the type of connection being used (i.e. ethernet or wireless), the type and age of device that is being connected and possible contention in the service provider’s network during peak times.  There are ways to ensure that you have the best connection possible, and Ofcom has put together a handy guide on how to improve broadband speeds which can be found here.

I appreciate that this perhaps is not the response you were hoping for, and I am sorry that myself and the Wiltshire Online team are unable to help you further. 

On a more positive note, during the December 2019 General Election the now Conservative government made a manifesto commitment to cover the whole of the UK with “gigabit-capable” broadband services by 2025 and to spend £5bn on helping to reach those in the hardest to reach (final 20%) of areas.  Details on this intervention are still emerging and are very much at the planning stage with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (Building Digital UK).  I currently have no further information about the manifesto commitment to share with you, but please rest assured that the Wiltshire Online team are closely monitoring the development of this commitment and will pursue any and all opportunities, to ensure that Wiltshire residents are able to benefit from this new programme of intervention.
Best regards
Ian

where they are getting this 39mbit/sec figure from?

i installed openwrt on my plusnet router, seems little bit more stable, here are my line stats;

Line State:UP [0x0]
Line Mode:G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime:0d 6h 36m 34s
Annex:B
Profile:17a
Data Rate:9.949 Mb/s / 0.943 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):6.438 Mb/s / 0.444 Mb/s
Latency:2.44 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN):33.8 dB / 45.4 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):21.4 dB / 26.7 dB
Noise Margin (SNR):5.5 dB / 5.9 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):0.9 dB / 11.6 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES):11349 / 2636
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):1216 / 23
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):1001 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):5 / 5
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):0 / 0
Non Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRC_P):13457 / 0
Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRCP_P):0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID:Broadcom 164.161
Power Management Mode:L0 - Synchronized

weird my max rate is less than my current rate too.

but where openreach getting this 39mbit figure from?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 03:04:12 AM »

The stupidity of the above, it would seem a simple solution to that would be to offer a slower VDSL service at ADSL pricing.  The whole idea that you hold back decent speeds from those who need it, for the sake of those who don't (who in this case seem to be mythical people) is utterly backwards.

Don't get you're hopes up too much, but it does sound promising  :fingers:

PS. If there is a fibre node that close and nothing comes of this, it may be worth getting an FTTP on demand quote, but they are usually pretty expensive.

You're telling me, the quote I got I can't remember exactly how much but considering I know the EXACT route to the distribution node around 200m away it seemed really really high.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:09:19 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »

That councillor clearly has his finger on the pulse as the 2025 Gigabit promise was dropped by the Government back in November (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50042720).
As for the availability of 39Mbps at your house, well that just beggars belief, and I'd be writing back asking to see those test results.
 :no:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

gjm

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 08:46:23 AM »

That councillor clearly has his finger on the pulse as the 2025 Gigabit promise was dropped by the Government back in November (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50042720).
As for the availability of 39Mbps at your house, well that just beggars belief, and I'd be writing back asking to see those test results.
 :no:

i wrote back saying i dont know where openreach got those numbers but they're made up.

I also tried explaining that the main issues is stability , yes speed is nice , but a stable connection would be brilliant.

Seems they are just interested in supposed speed and not the fact you cant stream or kids play their games as the connection drops many times when in use.

Not heard anything back yet though. My router is plugged into master socket, weve had the lines replaced from the telegraph pole, my line stats are all over the place as you can see from posted stats, ive tried different routers, theyve changed faceplates etc, nothing fixes it. infrastructure must be really bad, yet the people who are connected to cabinet 5 have stable internet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5