Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: issue with openreach advice please  (Read 5762 times)

gjm

issue with openreach advice please
« on: January 17, 2021, 04:05:37 PM »

hello.

for years we have been trying to get openreach to improve infrastructure in our area.

Everyone in our village was connected  to cabinet 1, which was no less than 1.2km away, and our lines are old aluminium lines from that cabinet.

so obviously properties were getting between 15-20mbit and quite unstable.

Last year openreach put a cabinet right in the village, and named it cabinet 5, which of course improved broadband for everyone...

Except it didnt, because openreach put the cabinet where they did, and not the obvious place , 12 properties are still connected to cabinet 1, even though cabinet 5 is less than 100m from these 12 properties.

openreach keep telling us that theres a ofcom regulation that would be broken if they connected the last 12 properties to cabinet 5.

my house is less than 50m from cabinet 5 , but sadly connected to cabinet 1 so very slow and very unstable service.

apparently if they connected the 12 properties , they would add a extra 200m of line from exchange that would degrade normal adsl speeds, none of these  12 properties have adsl, everyone on vdsl.

Does anyone have any advice on how to explain this to openreach, as we keep getting hit with the same answer. everytime.

Its really annoying that we pay the same amount for our broadband that people over the road pay, but only get 1/4 of the speed they get and our service constantly drops out many times a day.

i do have a diagram that explains it more that openreach sent me and i will add to this that explains this easier.

Thanks in advance
Gavin

gjm

Re: issue with openreach advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »

and they say were achieving superfast speed, but were not

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »

Any chance of the postcode of the new cabinet?

gjm

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »

most likely sn8 3sb

its a bit silly they put it where they did and not the obvious place indicated by the blue triangle on this map

and they say we can get superfast.....

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:11:51 PM by gjm »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »

Have you seen the Codelook website: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=507836&cabinets=11264

It showed P5 was part of the Phase SEP Wiltshire 17b install phase - which I'm pretty sure means it was publically funded (as the other fibre cabinets on your exchange have been)

This means that the location of the cabinet would have been agreed with BDUK - so you   would be better off asking your local authority why it was placed where it was and if they will fund any changes/improvements

Rearranging the Openreach network is not cheap and it's also possible that installing the 200m of line it may affect other customers even if it doesn't affect the 12 of you.

Openreach also have to follow the various rules/standards set out at http://www.niccstandards.org.uk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:47:45 PM by gt94sss2 »

gjm

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 09:53:36 PM »

the council say its out of their scope of work, they tell me to keep contacting openreach, which as you can understand is near impossible for the consumer. They said they put it where it is because the 12 properties were already getting superfast (just).

but we werent, because 12-15mbit isnt classed as superfast is it?.

There are no other options around here, non existent 4g signal indoors and very patchy outdoors.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=507840&postcodedet=SN83SX is my postcode.

says 42% of area less than 30mbit , surely that shows area needs something?.

So were stuck with slow , frequently dropping unstable internet. its a simple fix, just they cant do it :( @** banging head on wall
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:59:42 PM by gjm »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:33:59 PM »

This is strange, surely a Market 1 exchange shouldn't have to care about ADSL as all ISPs are using Openreach so can just as easily operate over FTTC?

Have you tried contacting Ofcom?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gjm

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:59 AM »

i have not contacted ofcom yet, you think it will help?. if anything finally sorting this would probably save the isp's money, as there always seems to be a engineer up the telegraph pole that services us  and neighbours, there's constant issues that they try to fix but always fail.

also our road is a cul de sac, surely that extra line length terminates after the last property, how would it affect others?.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:47:07 AM by gjm »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »

Is it just me or is cabinet P5 on the wrong postcode?
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=508091&cabinets=11264

SN8 3RY is 0.7 miles away from the OP's post code according to google maps, compared to SN8 3SD which is 0.5 miles.

gjm

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »

it must be wrong postcode  our postcode is sn83sx and can clearly see cabinet 5 from our house its less than 50m line of sight away.

sn8 3ry on google maps is about a mile away and nowhere near p5
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:07:25 AM by gjm »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »

Is it just me or is cabinet P5 on the wrong postcode?
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=508091&cabinets=11264

SN8 3RY is 0.7 miles away from the OP's post code according to google maps, compared to SN8 3SD which is 0.5 miles.

Codelook guesses the cabinet location much of the time. The postcode is often wrong on infill cabinets.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

also our road is a cul de sac, surely that extra line length terminates after the last property, how would it affect others?.

All your lines would have to go in the opposite direction to reach this new cabinet, then back again.
They would all have exactly the same length added.

Deciding where a new infill cabinet goes isn't a small task.
They need to pick a spot where they can break open the existing bundles of copper.
They need a spot where they have access to power.

OpenReach don't like to pay for this, it's too expensive.
Most infill cabinets are paid for with BDUK/subsidised funding.
There's a limited budget and siting the cabinet in the obvious spot may have made the job more expensive and unviable.

Your best option is to try the OpenReach CEO (Clive Selley).
There's a team that answers his emails and escalates to High Level Complaints team.
I wouldn't mention the OFCOM bit though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gjm

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

All your lines would have to go in the opposite direction to reach this new cabinet, then back again.
They would all have exactly the same length added.

Deciding where a new infill cabinet goes isn't a small task.
They need to pick a spot where they can break open the existing bundles of copper.
They need a spot where they have access to power.

OpenReach don't like to pay for this, it's too expensive.
Most infill cabinets are paid for with BDUK/subsidised funding.
There's a limited budget and siting the cabinet in the obvious spot may have made the job more expensive and unviable.

Your best option is to try the OpenReach CEO (Clive Selley).
There's a team that answers his emails and escalates to High Level Complaints team.
I wouldn't mention the OFCOM bit though.

The obvious place to put it on my map is where the aluminium lines come in to all properties in this part of the village, theres a underground pit very nearby where they used to pair them up.
There is also power in that obvious place as theres a street lamp right next to it, where they eventually put it, no power and less access to lines, so it doesnt make sense at all.

Wondering if openreach could put a fibre line to the telegraph pole or something as a alternative. can they split fibre ? as would think there would only be need 40m of fibre needed to do that.

Do you have clives email? i was told to contact a paul coles before and i did years ago and he promised to help but probaby think he thought cabinet 5 sorted it.

As said bduk which i assume is the local council (wiltshire council ) in my area said we already have access to superfast. but no way do we have access to superfast, just so fed up being the given the run around by wiltshire council  and openreach, each of them blaming the other. i suspect we will be missed  off the next lot of upgrades in future too as they will say we already get 10mbit ultrafast ....

[Moderator edited to fix a broken [url] tag.]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:23:14 PM by burakkucat »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 12:57:36 PM »

Do you have clives email?

Clive Selley  - firstname.surname@openreach.co.uk

The location of P5 will have power, even if you can't identify it and the properties to be uplifted are decided by BDUK when it comes to public funding..

Still email the CEO and let us know what happens

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »

it must be wrong postcode  our postcode is sn83sx and can clearly see cabinet 5 from our house its less than 50m line of sight away.

sn8 3ry on google maps is about a mile away and nowhere near p5

That's an intriguing postcode, all the odd numbers get literally speed estimates on FTTC that are half the even numbers, so 13 for example can have 11 - 20 down, but 14 can have 22 - 40 down on FTTC.

The SPS (School?) site can have 80/20 though, which suggests it is on the newer cabinet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5