Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre appears to have arrived...  (Read 697 times)

TheKeymeister

Fibre appears to have arrived...
« on: January 19, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »

The street next to mine was today filled with vans from Opals Group working on behalf of Morrison Utilities lifting box lids and pulling blue rope through. I went out to the shops and came back a bit later, they were terminating what looked like fibre into a small new build development of around 5 houses out on the main drag, that answers that question I thought. Nothing on one.network but they're only lifting lids and no proper TM in use.

Fast forward an hour or two and they're in my street - a cul-de-sac which is a complete dead end - but there is a DP outside my driveway, I asked the lads what they were doing and they're pulling fibre through to here too!

Now I'm not (as far as I know) in any rollout plans that are listed, these houses are about 25 years old and all fully ducted so I suppose it's a nice 'quick win' while they're in the area but I am surprised to say the least.

What's my next steps? I don't currently have an Openreach provided service (I could only manage 20Mbps on FTTC as the copper service comes from the other end of the village), the availability checker tells me I can have FTTC only, will it just one day decide I can have FTTP? My current 4G service via Three is up for renewal in May so fingers crossed  :fingers:

I'm on Billinghay exchange, copper is fed from cab 3 but the fibre appears to be being pulled back to cab 6 which is physically much closer. Its something daft like 1000m to cab 3, via an SCP and a load of ally apparently, or about 150m to cab 6, so I can see the sense.
lol, internet

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre appears to have arrived...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 03:22:04 PM »

I'm on Billinghay exchange, copper is fed from cab 3 but the fibre appears to be being pulled back to cab 6 which is physically much closer.
The fibre doesn't come from the cabinet but from an underground Aggregation Node.
This node likely provides your FTTC cabinet with fibre already.
Sometimes this node is right beside your cabinet but each node serves a few cabinets so it could be that the node is next to cabinet 6.

Use https://www.openreach.com/#checkavailability to see when FTTP is live.
It should hopefully confirm you are in current FTTP plans and will change to say FTTP is available when all the work is done.

Your 25 year old street is new enough to to come under OpenReach's RNS (retro new site) FTTP rollout.
This is easy pickings like you say and is being done all over the country, including areas not in any rollout plans.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

TheKeymeister

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »

Thanks, I'd never even heard of RNS but it makes sense to do. Especially in areas like mine where the FTTC speeds are so poor. The other (newer) half of the estate that has its own cabinet (cab 6) didn't appear to get any fibre pulled in today, but maybe it'll follow on at some point in the future.

I was a bit naughty and lifted the lid (I work in electricity and regularly have to do it when scanning for utilities etc) and took a few photos...definitely fibre, and I imagine there's not a huge amount of further work to do other than connecting it at the top end and then pulling the services in!
lol, internet

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »

I was a bit naughty and lifted the lid (I work in electricity and regularly have to do it when scanning for utilities etc) and took a few photos...definitely fibre, . . .

That's a 12 port connectorised block terminal (CBT).  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:46 PM »

I was a bit naughty and lifted the lid

Haha brilliant  ;D

I totally never did that to all the chambers in my street during our FTTP rollout  :whistle:

Lovely deep puddle at the bottom of that pit.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 08:54:49 PM »

Nice surprise for the OP, and it's good to see all the metal work is galvanised.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D