Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Really slow upload throughput - sync is fine.  (Read 1696 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Really slow upload throughput - sync is fine.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »

what do you get from the talktalk speedcheck? https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

pob

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:22 PM »

38Mb down
1Mb up

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 08:20:24 PM »

I have a Raspberry Pi monitoring my HG612 modem.
Nothing of note in the graphs.  Connection normally very stable (connected for months at a time).
No change at all in my Sync speeds.  It is just my Upload throughput that has dropped from around 6Mb to 1Mb about 48 hours ago. 

I've never been happy with my downstream sync speed.  I've had 3 open reach engineers over recent years.  This is as fast I can get.  Lots of crosstalk in my area.  Over the years there have been a couple of occasions where the cabinet must have reset and kicked everyone off.  My HG612 resyncs quite quickly at over 50Mb in these situations.  As everyone else comes back on line my SNR drops like a stone until it resyncs back at around 42Mb.

I used to get a max attainable of 70Mb when I was on Digital Region all those years ago (but never synced more than 40+Mb as that was all they sold).

I've been on an online chat with a TalkTalk agent for over a hour now.  Keeps asking about filters, master sockets etc etc despite my Sync speed being fine.

OK, good to know you already have line stat's monitoring capabilities with the Huawei HG-612 modem & RPi combination.
Can you possibly post some DSLStats snapshots, specifically:
HLog, QLN, SNRM, Bitloading and "Average Error Rates by Day" graphs.
Ensure DSLStats tone range is adjusted to cover all your active range before snapshot is captured.

I've asked about DLM / Profile resets and he says he can't do them - has to be done by Openreach (true?)
Yes, but have to be requested by the ISP.
Plusnet certainly used to get this done quite quickly via an OR request, not sure what TT's current policy is on DLM resets.

Have you tried the BTw Availability Checker by phone number, link supplied earlier, this will indicate what speeds your line should be capable of and what your handback DS speed threshold is.

Crosstalk is always going to be an issue on VDSL-2 FTTC service in the absence of vectoring which will never happen now, if you are unlucky and your line happens to inhabit a heavily populated DSLAM cabinet in a high density area there's not a lot you can do other than pray for FTTP service being available sooner rather than later.

First line ISP telephone help is as you have related very basic with the operatives just reading from a script with very basic understanding of what they are talking about, I have read that some parties have had good service from TT's second line technical service if you can manage to get your issue escalated. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 10:05:30 AM »

I don't think this is a DLM issue as the sync speed is as expected. More likely a stuck profile , linecard, or TT config problem.
I would be very insistent on talking to second line on this, as the first line people don't usually have much understanding of how any of this actually works and will just follow their script (as you have found).
I have been in a similar situation with BT in the past when I had no internet due to their DNS server being at fault. It was obviously this as I could ping via IP but no names would resolve. First line still wanted me to go through the 'unplug the front panel from your master socket and connect the HomeHub directly to it.....' nonsense. I gave up trying to explain that it was nothing to do with the actual connection and just told them I had done what they had asked and that it made no difference. They did eventually refer it to second line but it was hugely frustrating.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

pob

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 10:27:25 AM »

Good morning...

Update: a third period of powering off the modem for around an hour appears to have fixed the problem.  As suspected it was a stuck profile somewhere.  Just can't understand why the other periods of power down didn't work (each was around 45-60mins).
At least I've got my upload speed back and I can now actually use Microsoft Teams (wait... that's a bad thing!!).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - it kept me said whilst I was on the 3hr live chat.

I'll upload some DSL Stats graphs for those interested (over multiple posts)

pob

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 10:29:06 AM »

More graphs

pob

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »

Final graph and BT DSL Check (taken a few months ago when I was still on a BT line using phone number)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 03:54:33 PM »

Glad you got a result with respect to US data speed restoration.
Certainly no glaring anomalies that I can see in the DSLStats snapshots you have posted.
US ES rate is quite high but must still be within the acceptable DLM parameters as US G.Inp has not been applied.
DS G.Inp is active which will of course suppress the DS error rate, G.Inp re-tx profile is high which will limit your DS BRAS IP profile to approx 93% of DS synch speed as opposed to approx 97% on re-tx low profile.

From the BTw Availability Checker you posted, you are certainly getting poor DS speed performance with respected to line predictions, 73/49 Mbps high/low even on impacted, of course the impacted handback threshold is 40 Mbps which is just under your current line speed.
I know TT are "funny" with their exchange based LLU system but as FTTC is on OR network would have thought you could still access the BTw Availability Checker, not the case?

Out of interest, can you possibly post a snapshot of the DSLStats SNRM graph preferably over a 24 hour time scale which should give a good indication of just how noisy or impacted your line is.

pob

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 05:31:34 PM »

Thanks for looking at the graphs - appreciate it and good to hear that nothing bad sticks out.

I've never been happy with my BTw based FTTC connection, especially when compared to the stats that I used to get with Digital Region (the cabinet was sighted next to the BT one so same line length).  I can live with the 40Mb down.  It is fine for almost everything (could do with more when streaming 4K content), but the 7Mb upload is a bit of a killer at times.

This is the only copy of stats I have from by Digital Region days - I was probably the only customer on the cabinet (once of the reasons it shut down).  Same phone line with same modem!

Code: [Select]
Digital Region Stats:
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 21264 Kbps, Downstream rate = 72184 Kbps
Path:    0, Upstream rate = 10997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 43998 Kbps

Link Power State:    L0
Mode:            VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:        Profile 17a
TPS-TC:            PTM Mode
Trellis:        U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:        No Defect
Training Status:    Showtime
        Down        Up
SNR (dB):     18.4         17.0
Attn(dB):     0.0         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     8.4         1.1
            VDSL2 framing
            Path 0
B:        223        191
M:        1        1
T:        64        11
R:        16        16
S:        0.1619        0.5547
L:        11856        3000
D:        197        375
I:        240        26
N:        240        208
            Counters
            Path 0
OHF:        266025        64544
OHFErr:        1        1
RS:        17025549        673880
RSCorr:        234        157
RSUnCorr:    38        0

Path 0
HEC:        51        0
OCD:        0        0
LCD:        0        0
Total Cells:    58507817        0
Data Cells:    85631        0
Drop Cells:    0
Bit Errors:    0        0

ES:        1        1
SES:        0        0
UAS:        111        111
AS:        690

Path 0
INP:        1.00        1.00
PER:        2.59        10.67
delay:        8.00        7.00
OR:        92.62        36.71

Bitswap:    1        0

The day my Digital Region connection was switched over to BTw, I looked at the change in stats and my heart sank.  I've had 3 Openreach Engineers over the years as every time I switch suppliers my connection is always less than promised.

My SNR doesn't really change through the day, except for + and - 0.1 dB.  The line can stay connected for weeks or even months at a time if I let it.
Not sure how to change the DSLStats graph to zoom out and show a 24 hour period.

With regards to the BT DSL Checker website, as I don't have a BT phone line I can't use my phone number to look up the most accurate data.  I can only use Postcode/Address which they say isn't as accurate.  I've attached one though taken today for comparison.

Annoying that my speeds are lower than expected as a friend that lives around the corner is connected to the same cabinet at a similar distance.  She has very slightly higher predicted speeds according to the checker (BT line to should be accurate).  She is getting 60/20 at the moment.

I've been considering the 'Three' 5G service instead, as since I got my iPhone 12 I see I get speeds like this inside the house (upload is better if I go outside):
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/4368379639

Many thanks  :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 07:44:01 PM »

Yes, as long as your US data speed remains reasonable your line performance its probably as good as it gets on FTTC, with the DS handback speed threshold being "just" satisified it's unlikely you will get any further investigative or remedial action from TT or OR.

You could try to encourage DLM to change your G.Inp DS re-tx profile to low which should increase the BRAS IP profile (and data speed) by approx 2 Mbps for the same DS synch speed, the DS FEC error rate you posted does not look too bad, this is "believed" to be one of the main factors that DLM considers as to whether your line will remain on low re-tx profile once achieved.
The method of encouraging a DLM re-tx profile change is DS modem speed capping which has been explained extensively on a number of forum posts, can take a long time to implement especially first time around, my line initially took 14 days with quite a severe modem clamp.

My SNR doesn't really change through the day, except for + and - 0.1 dB.  The line can stay connected for weeks or even months at a time if I let it.
Not sure how to change the DSLStats graph to zoom out and show a 24 hour period.
Just let it run for at least 24 hours then snapshot.
DSLStats can scroll back once you have collected over a (page worth) of data, I run mine on a 4 day/page cycle and auto-archieve the results to LAN for future reference, sad I know but does help in the event of any line issues.

pob

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 03:13:12 PM »

SNR Graphs attached...

pob

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »

Rest of the 24 hour graphs.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 05:20:47 PM »

Not a lot to say regarding the SNRM graph snapshots, very smooth, with DS on 3 dB, very likely as good as it gets.
I would have expected that the amount of crosstalk that you suspect exists would have had a much greater impact on the SNRM graph.
Attached for reference, SNRM snapshots of my relatively clean, low noise line (low density area) and my daughters noisy (very high density area) VDSL-2 lines, not difficult to spot the difference!
Both are on a 4 day page with 2 min's sample rate.

As long as the US data rate remains proportional to the US synch speed you are likely at the end of the line regarding further investigation unless any other forum patrons have further suggestions, as mentioned previously, you could go through the modem DS speed capping exercise and should eventually persuade DLM to change DS G.Inp re-tx to low profile and gain approx 2 Mbps DS data speed increase if you think it's worth the effort.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything