Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misleading Blogs  (Read 1159 times)

benji09

• Reg Member
Misleading Blogs
« on: January 11, 2021, 09:26:19 PM »

I read somewhere, a time back, that a Russian escapee was giving a lecture about his country's government spreading misinformation in other countries to cause mistrust in their government. Was that posted on this Kitz site?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Misleading Blogs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »

Was that posted on this Kitz site?

I don't have any recollection of seeing it mentioned here.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 10:35:33 PM »

I read somewhere, a time back, that a Russian escapee was giving a lecture about his country's government spreading misinformation in other countries to cause mistrust in their government. Was that posted on this Kitz site?

I can certainly think of a few forum posts that would be consistent with the deliberate and organised spreading of anti-government misinformation.   But that is just the price of freedom of speech.   :)

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »

Thank you for replying to my question. I wish that I had bookmarked the item. What brought this up, was the fact that I was talking to somebody about the news item about NHS staff in London being attacked by the the corona virus nutters outside their hospital. The person I was talking to could not understand how people could be so deranged. I wanted to show them the link to this Russian's lecture explaining things............   

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »

I think I remember the video you're talking about, though I didn't get it from here. I saw it on youtube years ago, if we're talking about the same one.

Wasn't he some ex KGB agent who was talking about propaganda and how it works in the West? The quality of the video was old, so probably done in the 70s or 80s.

I'm wondering if the guy was called Yuri Bezmenov.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:19:15 PM »

Yes, I think you are correct. That does sound like the man. I thought his lecture explained a lot.  I do wonder what our education system has been doing over the last 50 years, or more. I don't know how people can be taken in by some of the fake information out on the internet.
 Incidentally, I have been called up for my microchip vaccination on Saturday.  Since I am in my late 70's, I was surprised how quickly I was offered it....................... 

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:55 PM »

Personally I think the problem may be more related to social media, than to the news outlets.

I seem to remember back in the 80s, one of the popular papers reported that a WW2 plane had landed on the moon.   Most people just laughed of course, as the journalist no doubt intended.   And if 1 in 10,000 failed to understand it was a joke then no matter, we just sympathetically dropped the conversation in their presence.

But these days, the 1 in 10,000 nutter is probably in instant contact with a network of like minded nutters.   Population is circa 60 million or more so, at 1 in 10,000, you can soon have 5,000 or more determined citizens marching on Downing Street to demand the plane be recovered.  :'(

Incidentally, I have been called up for my microchip vaccination on Saturday.  Since I am in my late 70's, I was surprised how quickly I was offered it.......................

Wow, great news.   :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:42 PM »

Good old BBC provide a timely example.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55666013

By freeze framing the video it’s easy to see the car involved is a UK registered VW Scirocco, with MoT valid til December 2021.  So if, as seems likely if a law has been broken, there should be a lot of clues as to who did it.  So why even publicise it, first on SM and then BBC?   Doesn’t that in itself risk compromising/prejudicing a prosecution case?  Ah, but the media must appeal to SM, as that is where the audiences lie.   

If accused then BBC will simply blame the SM publisher, who will say they can’t control individual tweets, or tick, tocks, whatever.   But I’m not sure, 40 years ago, the BBC would have promoted the “Bomber Found on Moon” story.  :no:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 02:32:58 AM »

It's been trending on Twitter.
The British transport police tweeted about it noting the dangers and appealing for info.
The BBC picked up the story on Twitter.

News isn't less news worthy just because it originates on social media.
What does it matter if the BBC's source is some 65 year old lady who called in a tip or an issue raised by tens of thousands of people talking about it on Twitter.

It's a good deterrent to report on it. It might save someone's life.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:45:42 AM »

Bolton as gone really downhill in the last 10 years so I'm not surprised that kind of thing is going on.

It shows the low level of intellect. They do something criminal and upload it for the world to see, not realising they are giving themselves away. They just aren't aware of others.

It's like that other trend the kids were doing, riding in to on-coming traffic on a bicycle, then turning away at the last minute. Crazy stuff.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »

Clarifying my opinion...

The point is that there have always been people who do idiotic things.   What’s changed is that they can now instantly communicate with other idiots by social media, others who may either applaud or replicate the actions.

When mainstream media broadcast the idiocy even more widely it just makes matters worse, reaching out to all the more imbeciles.  It was apparently a local crime and whilst very dangerous and deserving of maximum punishment, nobody was hurt and no property damaged.   What makes that national headline news?

I’d bet a pound to a penny that whoever did it was proud as punch to see it on BBC front page.  And anybody motivated to repeat a similar stunt will be eagerly watching BBC to judge their success.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »

I’d bet a pound to a penny that whoever did it was proud as punch to see it on BBC front page.  And anybody motivated to repeat a similar stunt will be eagerly watching BBC to judge their success.

What a strange thought process.

I bet the male photographer and female car owner are anything but proud as punch.

It's a photo/video from 2018 and both now face trespassing on the railway and endangering lives charges.

Both have had their social medias, names, phone numbers, etc posted all over social media as every amateur detective in the country went looking through their past.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »

It's a photo/video from 2018 and both now face trespassing on the railway and endangering lives charges.

Both have had their social medias, names, phone numbers, etc posted all over social media as every amateur detective in the country went looking through their past.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't railway trespass a summary-only offence, meaning there's an effective limitation period (6 months iirc)  for prosecution?  That might explain why they were so keen to go public, and hence probably grateful to any media outlet that assisted them in their perceived additional 'street cred'.

Apols to any 'real' lawyers who may tell me I am mistaken. :-\

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »

When mainstream media broadcast the idiocy even more widely it just makes matters worse, reaching out to all the more imbeciles.  It was apparently a local crime and whilst very dangerous and deserving of maximum punishment, nobody was hurt and no property damaged.   What makes that national headline news?

it wasn't "national" news. the report was in the regional section for manchester on the BBC news website. so very much "local" news.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »

it wasn't "national" news. the report was in the regional section for manchester on the BBC news website. so very much "local" news.

I'm fairly sure that being tagged 'Manchester' just means it was compiled by the Manchester news teams.   Coverage of the Arena bombing also seems to include a URL of 'uk-England-Manchester', for example,  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40010124

Can't be certain, but pretty sure the piece under discussion was presented on the BBC news home page last evening.  Can't imagine how else I'd have spotted it?
Pages: [1] 2