Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need A New VDSL Router....  (Read 4732 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Need A New VDSL Router....
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 08:24:06 PM »

jumping on here if it's ok, rather start a new subject about the same exact thing?

had my ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A for a few years now and has been good enough...for LAN connections anyway

- crap 5Ghz for me though...so LAN'd everything in (PC, TV, XBOX) but need Cat5e+ cables as I'm only getting 100Mbp from PC to router when I have 1Gbps port on PC and router - but LG B8 OLED is only 100M/bit (for £2000 in 2018 you would think it would it would be 1Gbps? as I can't play very-high bitrate 4K over LAN or 5Ghz WiFi (in the same room as the router, just 10ft away) - I have to use a USB hard-drive in the TV for a couple of my 4K rips, cos 100Mbps isn't enough for 4K that hasn't been further compressed from the disc (which I prefer not to do), action scenes can spike to well over 100Mbps, still scenes (like talking) no problems, I have 1 errored second per hour on average..isn't that enough for Fastpath??

anyway,
Im looking at something new maybe this FritzBox 7530 as my Cab is also Lantiq/Infineon/Intel so I might get a better sync? as my max is 76MBps (used to be 79Mbps and used to get it 24-7 until Aug 2018 after 12-4AM then dropped to 64Mbps dot on 4am and been there ever since) so, as I say my current sync is 64Mbps with error protection always on with a MAX of 76.5Mbps

i see there is also a newer BROADCOM SoC out -  BCM63168V on latest ZyXEL VMG9827-B50A

anyone with this FritzBox or anyone else has any advice?

thanks in advance

I happen to have both these routers (VMG8924 and Fritz!box 7530).  In my own case the Fritzbox gives a marginally faster DSL connection speed but the wireless performance is broadly similar - but then my experience is that most decent (i.e. not cheap-ass) wireless routers perform very similarly on wireless duties when using the same protocol and in the same position, so not much of a surprise (to me).

In my case I started using separate WAP's as the advantage of having them separate seems to be largely that you can position them well to maximise signal strength and coverage.

C

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 05:54:19 AM »

In my case I started using separate WAP's as the advantage of having them separate seems to be largely that you can position them well to maximise signal strength and coverage.

C

My speed went up dramatically on 5Ghz when I got the nanoHD, nothing I had before (including the Fritzbox 7530) got close to the 800Mbit it can do.

Not just in the same room either, I get much faster speeds in the bathroom which is about as obstructed as you can get in the house.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 08:25:09 AM »

My speed went up dramatically on 5Ghz when I got the nanoHD, nothing I had before (including the Fritzbox 7530) got close to the 800Mbit it can do.

Not just in the same room either, I get much faster speeds in the bathroom which is about as obstructed as you can get in the house.

Interestingly I can get an 5GHz 866Mbps connection rate to my VMG8924 with my work laptop (the only device I have capable of this speed).
It's also pretty pointless when the VDSL line rate is ~40Mbps.  :lol:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 02:40:38 PM »

My advise is stick with what you have as far as the modem/router is concerned.

Most TV's only have 100Mb ports. They don't need to do anything higher than that.

Just bought a 55" LG CX OLED (2020) and it has a 100Mb Ethernet port.
I expect the 2021 model to have the same.

Curious what high bitrate 4k that the LG supports that you can't play with 100Mb/s?

politely, I'm afraid your partially incorrect - having had this TV 2 years I can tell you a few won't play - forget compressed streams, I'm on about remuxed rips direct from the original 4K disc - especially if they used a 100GB disc and not a 50GB disc (fit more detail/info with higher bitrates on 100GB discs)

to note: a REMUX is when you rip your original 4K disc BUT only pull the 'untouched movie from it' (not further compressed in any way so it's exactly like having the movie there), leaving all the rest of the crap behind, allowing you to store it on a NAS drive or PC HDD and stream across the LAN so you can watch without swapping discs AND they stay nice n new (unscratched) on the shelf...

E.G. would be the new remaster of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 70mm (remuxed only) or a REMUX of something in Dolby Vision that was put on a 100GB disc (less compression from the raw footage in the "cutting room"), try streaming a remuxed rip of those from LAN PC to LAN LG and you will see it buffer and freeze - this is because action sequences or lots of screen movement can take the bitrate much higher than 100Mbps...some can even go into 200Mbps for a quick second or so - see AVforums for more info on this...

as for the FRITZ router,,, there are reports of people getting higher syncs than that of the one I have.. comes with tons of software too..i know it doesn't mean I will - but worth a blast if u can get em cheap enough, and if crap just re-sell it

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »

I happen to have both these routers (VMG8924 and Fritz!box 7530).  In my own case the Fritzbox gives a marginally faster DSL connection speed but the wireless performance is broadly similar - but then my experience is that most decent (i.e. not cheap-ass) wireless routers perform very similarly on wireless duties when using the same protocol and in the same position, so not much of a surprise (to me).

C

cheers that makes number 3 that gets higher sync on that FRITZ than the ZyXEL 8924-B10A - hell it may even give me my 76MBps sync it says is attainable but only get 64 on the 8924?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:51 PM »

cheers that makes number 3 that gets higher sync on that FRITZ than the ZyXEL 8924-B10A - hell it may even give me my 76MBps sync it says is attainable but only get 64 on the 8924?

If it increases sync it will be a 1 or 2 Mb/s at most, but probably less. You won't be able to achieve the reported attainable rate

Your attainable is so high because you have interleaving enabled.
The max data rate is reported incorrectly with interleaving enabled and without removing interleaving is extremely unlikely any modem would get anywhere near the reported attainable.

The 7530 synced 0.5Mb/s lower than my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, but every line is different.

Matching DSLAM and modem Vendor being best practice is a myth. As above every line is different.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 04:51:30 AM »

6 month old thread, but something I just watched reminded me of it.

but LG B8 OLED is only 100M/bit (for £2000 in 2018 you would think it would it would be 1Gbps?

For some newer Sony and LG TV's (and maybe other manufacturers) you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter to get round the 100Mb Ethernet ports limitation.

I got this from an
HDTVTest YouTube Video

It appears only certain adapters will work as the cheap USB to Ethernet adapter I have doesn't work.

This is the adapter Vince used in the video:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BBD7NFU/

I've just ordered 1.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:53:33 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »

There's a generic USB NIC protocol these days (was a new one on me but turns out thats why my Realtek 2.5Gbit adapter worked without its own driver in Linux), I suspect those are the type that work.

That said, 99% of content wont get close to 100Mbit.  At least on my LG C8, Bluray rips worked very poorly because WebOS choked on them, not the bitrate.  Its why I ended up with a ShieldTV for all my video playback needs.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »

I had 2 FRITZ!Box 7530's and found the Wi-Fi to be rather poor, but everything else was great about it, unforunately the one with good Wi-Fi (7590) is a lot more and Zen doesn't offer them in the UK. The New ASUS DSL AX82U does look promising though, has a triple core 1.8Ghz Broadcom chipset, and isn't like the DSL AC88U in terms of firmware updates where they will randomly cut off support, the AX82U is on the official asus branch or something so we can expect reguarely firmware updates.
Pages: 1 2 [3]