Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need A New VDSL Router....  (Read 4735 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Need A New VDSL Router....
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »

For under £50 I'd certainly be looking at something like the ZyXel 3925 mentioned earlier, as you will struggle to get a decent new unit for that money.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »

Thanks to DFS if you're using 5Ghz there is never that guarantee unless you stick to the lower channels.

how common is that on new kit?? (I'm a bit out of touch these days) and more to the point can you turn it off on most stuff??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »

DFS is a requirement in the UK, however OFCOM did issue a consultation on this last year with the intent of removing the requirement but I've not found out if/whether this has happened yet!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »

thanks, I'll bear that in mind....only got 30-day warranty though..

Seller is open to offers, they messaged me today and offered it for £34, so I'm sure you could barter if you wanted

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »

DFS is a requirement in the UK, however OFCOM did issue a consultation on this last year with the intent of removing the requirement but I've not found out if/whether this has happened yet!

Stuart

Thanks for that. Hopefully they'll see sense and can it!!

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM »

Seller is open to offers, they messaged me today and offered it for £34, so I'm sure you could barter if you wanted

thanks....I'm keeping that as a backup option at the moment....

Newfie

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »

Stuart

I believe they are only looking at UNII 3 which is channels 149 and above which we can use but 99% of routers don’t support it. I asked the same on SNB thinking the same but when I looked it was in that band and so restrictions will stay in place.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »

Stuart

Latest White Paper I can find on 5ghz is this one : http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/updated-white-paper-on-license-exempt.html

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 03:15:40 PM »

I think https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/improving-spectrum-access-for-wi-fi explains what is happening quite well regarding DFS and Wi-Fi channels.

Stuart

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »

Thanks all who've commented on here, gone for the ZyXel 3925 on ebay linked to earlier....offered £32 and seller accepted :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »

Quote from: Ofcom
Remove the Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) requirements from channels used by Wi-Fi in the 5.8 GHz band (5725-5850 MHz). DFS requires a router to scan for radars and to switch channel if suspected radar transmissions are detected. DFS can therefore represent a constraint for equipment manufacturers regarding quality of service and throughput as well as being the cause of connection delays for users. We are amending the requirements on this band on the basis that the risk of undue interference from indoor Wi-Fi use is extremely low. The removal of DFS will increase its use for indoor wireless applications and help reduce congestion in other bands.

See Ofcom document: Improving spectrum access for Wi-Fi - Spectrum use in the 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands, Publication Date: 24 July 2020.

[Moderator edited to add an attribution for the above quoted statement.]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:54:19 PM by burakkucat »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »

jumping on here if it's ok, rather start a new subject about the same exact thing?

had my ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A for a few years now and has been good enough...for LAN connections anyway

- crap 5Ghz for me though...so LAN'd everything in (PC, TV, XBOX) but need Cat5e+ cables as I'm only getting 100Mbp from PC to router when I have 1Gbps port on PC and router - but LG B8 OLED is only 100M/bit (for £2000 in 2018 you would think it would it would be 1Gbps? as I can't play very-high bitrate 4K over LAN or 5Ghz WiFi (in the same room as the router, just 10ft away) - I have to use a USB hard-drive in the TV for a couple of my 4K rips, cos 100Mbps isn't enough for 4K that hasn't been further compressed from the disc (which I prefer not to do), action scenes can spike to well over 100Mbps, still scenes (like talking) no problems, I have 1 errored second per hour on average..isn't that enough for Fastpath??

anyway,
Im looking at something new maybe this FritzBox 7530 as my Cab is also Lantiq/Infineon/Intel so I might get a better sync? as my max is 76MBps (used to be 79Mbps and used to get it 24-7 until Aug 2018 after 12-4AM then dropped to 64Mbps dot on 4am and been there ever since) so, as I say my current sync is 64Mbps with error protection always on with a MAX of 76.5Mbps

i see there is also a newer BROADCOM SoC out -  BCM63168V on latest ZyXEL VMG9827-B50A

anyone with this FritzBox or anyone else has any advice?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:21:29 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »

My advise is stick with what you have as far as the modem/router is concerned.

Most TV's only have 100Mb ports. They don't need to do anything higher than that.

Just bought a 55" LG CX OLED (2020) and it has a 100Mb Ethernet port.
I expect the 2021 model to have the same.

Curious what high bitrate 4k that the LG supports that you can't play with 100Mb/s?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:00:53 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 03:08:17 PM »

@snadge

I'm currently investigating 4k video issues over fast ethernet ports for my parents.

They are on a eci lantiq cab, they were using a Netgear dm200 in bridge mode as the modem, but as the lights are not easy to understand I swapped it to a comtrend vr3030, makes family tech support easier.

Anyway they currently have a tenda nova MW3 mesh network in place, lg 4k TV is wired into one of the nodes, but TV will never push more than hd content, FTTC syncs at 60/20.

If I install a Mikrotik wireless bridge, even something as cheap as two Mikrotik hAP lites, which are £17.99 on Amazon, 4k works on iPlayer, YouTube, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

All devices have fast ethernet ports,but the Mikrotik QoS just seems to do what is needed to deliver 4k content.

I have seen the Fritz!box 7583 is available, latest Intel lantiq chipset vrx618, not seen a good price as of yet.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »

As for wifi on a router I gave up on all my routers a while ago and got a 3 disc mesh system which gives me much better coverage in my old house. This tablet has a 433Mbps connection on 5Ghz and actual d/l speeds over 45Mbps using this mesh kit.

Stuart
Pages: 1 [2] 3