Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for Info re FTTP install  (Read 2662 times)

Berrick

• Reg Member
Looking for Info re FTTP install
« on: January 02, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »

Hi, Hope everyone one is well. And Happy new year.

FTTP is now available in our street so looking to upgrade but have some questions as to what to expect regards installation/new equipment.

• If I upgrade to BT FTTP will they use the existing ducting which the current telephone line and broadband use to get to the house
  • What is installed externally and or internally. IE do they use a modem to present PPoE to a router. I need to use my existing Draytek

Anything I should be aware of regards installation?

Kind regards
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Looking for Info re FTTP install
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »

Regardless of your chosen service provider, Openreach (or contractors working for Openreach) will use the same method of entry as that currently used to deliver the existing metallic pathway. Hence, in your case, it will be via the existing duct(s).

Externally there may be a customer splice point (CSP) installed, at ground level, in place of the existing capping at the end of the duct.

Internally, an optical network terminal (ONT) will be installed. Your access will be via an Ethernet port, to which your router can be connected. (It is similar to the original method of supply of a VDSL2 (FTTC) service, when an Openreach modem was installed.)

[Subsequent edit to correct a typo.]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:44:59 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:27:42 PM »

How does the fibre pass through the wall in terms of layout / geometry ? And where exactly will the splice point be? Positioned so that it will end up inside, or outside of the wall, inside or outside the house ?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:15:51 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 10:44:08 PM »

Every method of provision will have either an aerial drop or an underground feed. The location of the ONT can be chosen by the end-user, within reason. The ONT will need to be sited near to a mains electrical socket outlet.

There may be either an external CSP, an internal CSP or no CSP. If there is a CSP, it will located such that a fusion splicer can be used without climbing a ladder.

Taking the office at "The Weaving Shed" as an example, I would expect it to be provisioned via an aerial drop with no CSP. The ONT would be located in the same area as the four existing NTE5s.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:07:30 PM »

In my case, because the desired point of entry is well above skirting board height within the upper floor, it would be way above the height at which such a tool could be used at by an engineer standing at ground level without a ladder.

I wondered idly about the possibility of my providing a temporary sound, raised platform (made from scaffolding and flooring) so an engineer could work at first floor level without being on a ladder.

Openreach may come up against this in other cases, I don’t know. Perhaps not, perhaps they always install at ground level and anything else is your problem A bit difficult if you are on the 25th floor though.

It would suit me well to use the aerial drop method because installing ducting would be a nightmare, and expensive, but could the vulnerability to 130mph gales be a problem?

What determines whether there is a splice or none ? If I am understanding correctly.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking his/her thread; could split this off if that is felt appropriate
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:22:56 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 11:58:54 PM »

Every installation is unique (within reason). In your case, it would be an aerial feed.

Currently there are two methods of provision, either "outside-in" or "inside-out". With an aerial feed, the former ("outside-in") would be performed without deploying a CSP, whereas the latter ("inside-out") would require an external CSP.

My advice is not to worry about what might be required in the future . . . until such time as the future is, say, next Tuesday.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 01:11:34 PM »

In my case, because the desired point of entry is well above skirting board height within the upper floor, it would be way above the height at which such a tool could be used at by an engineer standing at ground level without a ladder.

I wondered idly about the possibility of my providing a temporary sound, raised platform (made from scaffolding and flooring) so an engineer could work at first floor level without being on a ladder.

Not a hope in hell of them doing that.
How would they resplice if say your pet broke the internal fibre?

They'll either use an overhead connectorised cable with no splicing, or bring the overhead feed to ground level, fit a CSP, then feed back up the wall to your chosen entry point.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »

do some research on the wan to lan speeds your draytek supports, my 2860 doesnt go any higher than 150mb ish, which for a gigabit connection is obviously no good

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:52 PM »

@burakkucat thanks for the reply

Would you know if I can keep my existing phone for now rather than going VoIP?

@spaace I'm looking at Fibre 100 for that very reason, for now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »

Unfortunately I cannot say, for sure.

Is your current telephony service with BT Consumer? If yes, then there is a possibility that you could continue to use the metallic pathway.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 09:11:13 PM »

@burakkucat thanks for the reply

@spaace I'm looking at Fibre 100 for that very reason, for now.

If you upgrade to FTTP with BT then the computer decides of you get Digital Voice (VOIP) or keep the copper line for Voice.

Everyone on BT FTTP will be moved to Digital Voice in time anyway.

Your existing handset should work through the hub although some DECT phones may have limited functionality.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 09:34:01 PM »

@j0hn I fully understand that the PSTN network will be "turned off" in a few years. a "set in stone" date of 2025 I believe was Openreach's announcement.

However as you have pointed out I may loose functionality my current phones have and it cant be guaranteed they would work with the BT supplied router.

My main reason for asking is I don't intend to use the BT supplied router.

Can anyone confirm if I use my own router I can use a VoIP phone of my choosing? I mean surely I can just give BT its mac address and off we go?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 02:09:10 AM »

If you migrate to BT FTTP and you get put on Digital Voice (VOIP) the only way to use your landline number will be to use the BT Smart Hub 2.

BT do not and will not release any SIP details to use 3rd party equipment for VOIP.

If you need a landline number and don't want to use the BT Smart Hub 2 then you need to start looking at other ISP's.

Migrating the current landline to a 3rd party VOIP provider will cease any currently bundled active FTTC/landline service.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »

Hi all,

Been real busy so this topic got put on the back burner.

@j0hn appreciate your reply. but (there's always a but  ;) )

If you migrate to BT FTTP and you get put on Digital Voice (VOIP) the only way to use your landline number will be to use the BT Smart Hub 2.
Why? If I want to use an analogue/DECT phone without purchasing additional equipment then agreed.

BT do not and will not release any SIP details to use 3rd party equipment for VOIP
They would only need to supply the destination server IP address and any credentials required for authentication

Kind regards

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »

I'm not sure what your question is?
Why?

Why? I don't know. Ask BT.

If I want to use an analogue/DECT phone without purchasing additional equipment then agreed.
They would only need to supply the destination server IP address and any credentials required for authentication

That's the problem... They won't.

If a VOIP provider doesn't give you their authentication details how on Earth do you make a call with them? You can't.

BT don't give you any information. It's plug and play.

A few users have spent a lot of time trying to get this to work without the Smart Hub 2, without success.

The process works like this...

The Smart Hub 2 makes a call to https://linediscovery.hub.bt.com/ and passes the PPPoE Host-Uniq tag value and the PPPoE Session ID and it is returned the SIP details (encrypted) which it then uses to initiate the SIP connection for phone calls. The local and remote IP addresses and MAC addresses, and the AC Name are not important. The Smart Hub 2 changes the Host-Uniq value every time it makes a new connection.
Pages: [1] 2

anything