Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can you solve this puzzle for me?  (Read 558 times)

TommyZulu

• Just arrived
Can you solve this puzzle for me?
« on: January 28, 2021, 03:47:13 PM »

I am a Talktalk customer using a FTTC connection. My local exchange is Usk. From 17 October 2020 until January 2021 I was experiencing an outage ALMOST every weekday. My modem router, the Talktalk Sagemcom model, would 'freeze' and internet connection would be lost until I reset it by powering down the router and turning it on again.
Talktalk sent me three different Sagemcom Routers.
The frozen lineswas almost always in the working day; only once on a Saturday, otherwise on weekdays. Twice I had Openreach engineers to check the line; the first time the line was clear but the engineer changed my master socket front to a two outlet socket (phone and data). The second time the engineer told me that I was the tenth Talktalk customer she had visited that day with identical problems but the lines always tested perfectly. She told me that there were 41,000 Talktalk customers having the same problem...
Now my dentist, on Plusnet, from the same exchange but a different cabinet seems to be havng a similar problem with regular weekday outages.
My line is now stable (fingers crossed) ever since Talktalk changed my modem from a Sagemcom one to a Huawei DG8041W - which looks identical.
I find it hard to understand why three Sagemcom routers froze but this Huawei one doesn't and what was causing the freezes? Was it to router at all, or just conincidence that the fault was cured at the same time as I got the new kit. I am curious and wonder if anyone might have a possible answer!

Thank you

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can you solve this puzzle for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I don't think any of us can answer your queries, unfortunately. TalkTalk's NOC (network operations centre) would be the ones who would know.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »

There's nothing on the publicly available talk talk outage checker: https://aastatus.net/3rdparty2.cgi?itype=TTB-Outages&when=NOW

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »

This does sound like a firmware issue with the Sagemcom router, but if it was as widespread as the Openreach chap said then you'd expect it to be all over TalkTalks forums and I can't see that it is.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything