Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie help with Zyxel vmg8924-b10a and connection to vodafon  (Read 1779 times)

Bazvw205

• Just arrived
Newbie help with Zyxel vmg8924-b10a and connection to vodafon
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »

Hi all, stumbled across this forum whilst looking for info on setting up the above modem.

I bought it as the standard Vodafone router is poor with the amount of connections I have, data I use.

I plan to use the zyxel as in bridge mode only and pair it to a tp link ax11000 router which should hopefully work well.

I now have the broadband login/password I need to use the zyxel, but following all tutorials on here and other places I cant get it to connect to the net. There is probably something simple I'm missing but cannot find it, vodafone 'techies' are pretty tech-less!

I think setting it up as the bridge will be easy but I need to connect it to the net first if someone can assist?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Newbie help with Zyxel vmg8924-b10a and connection to vodafon
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »

Hi all, stumbled across this forum whilst looking for info on setting up the above modem.

Welcome to Kitz fellow Vodafone Broadband user.

Have you followed this guide: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »

The tp link ax11000 is very fancy but does it have a PPPoE bridge mode for modems? I downloaded the manual for your router and only see reference to network bridging to a wifi access point in the manual and I don't see an option in the GUI emulator to bridge to a modem.

You could use the ethernet WAN port on the AX 11000 and just use it as a network router but thats not quite the same thing obviously as your Zyxel would not be just a modem.... is that what you mean?

Worth a check unless you already know! Or we can wait for a more knowledgeable Kitzer to come along and set me right!

C
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:26:59 PM by Chunkers »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I plan to use the zyxel as in bridge mode only . . .

<snip>

I now have the broadband login/password I need to use the zyxel, . . .

There is a discrepancy between your two statements that I have quoted, above.

When using the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as a bridge / in bridge mode, it acts purely as a bridging media convertor (modem) between the protocols on the incoming metallic pathway (the telephone line) and an local internal metallic pathway (an Ethernet link) to your firewall/router/switch device, in this case your TP-Link AX1100. Once so configured in pure bridge mode, the ISP provided login/password credentials (to gain Internet access) are not entered into the ZyXEL device but are entered into the firewall/router/switch, the TP-Link device.

As Chunkers has previously mentioned, you need to check if the AX1100 is capable of acting as a PPPoE client . . . as that is that software functionality which requires knowledge of the ISP provided login/password credentials.

[Edited to add:] Having now looked at the relevant page on the TP-Link website, I see that the AX1100 is capable of --

Quote from: TP-Link
WAN Types:    Dynamic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP & L2TP

So you will need to configure the AX1100 as a PPPoE client which uses your ISP provided login/password credentials for Internet access.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:32:45 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »

The tp link ax11000 is very fancy but does it have a PPPoE bridge mode for modems? I downloaded the manual for your router and only see reference to network bridging to a wifi access point in the manual and I don't see an option in the GUI emulator to bridge to a modem.
Not sure I understood what you mean... That TP-Link is capable to handle PPPoE connectivity, so why wouldn't it suffice to just select PPPoE from the 'Internet Connection Type' drop down menu + username and password ?

Bazvw205

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 06:27:15 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

There is a discrepancy between your two statements that I have quoted, above.

When using the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A as a bridge / in bridge mode, it acts purely as a bridging media convertor (modem) between the protocols on the incoming metallic pathway (the telephone line) and an local internal metallic pathway (an Ethernet link) to your firewall/router/switch device, in this case your TP-Link AX1100. Once so configured in pure bridge mode, the ISP provided login/password credentials (to gain Internet access) are not entered into the ZyXEL device but are entered into the firewall/router/switch, the TP-Link device.

As Chunkers has previously mentioned, you need to check if the AX1100 is capable of acting as a PPPoE client . . . as that is that software functionality which requires knowledge of the ISP provided login/password credentials.

[Edited to add:] Having now looked at the relevant page on the TP-Link website, I see that the AX1100 is capable of --

So you will need to configure the AX1100 as a PPPoE client which uses your ISP provided login/password credentials for Internet access.

Thank you for your reply, I am a complete newbie if I'm honest with networking (you all may have guessed! :D)

So if I set the Zxyel for bridge only and then log onto the Tp link I only need to enter the username/password to that?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 06:46:09 PM »

Ah, my bad, I see the AX 11000 is a router only and does not have a built in modem, in which case my previous post was a bit misleading, sorry.

You can setup your Zyxel router in bridge mode by following the guide meritez linked, connect the Zyxel to the WAN port of your router, then log into your routers GUI on your network at http://tplinkwifi.net to set it up (either follow the quick setup to put in your ISP's login details or go to the Advanced-Network-Internet page and put it in manually).

C

Bazvw205

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »

Thank you all, I am up and running already! Hopefully the 3 kids and gaming works better after spending 300 quid on equipment!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »

Thank you all, I am up and running already!

You are welcome.

Hopefully the 3 kids and gaming works better after spending 300 quid on equipment!

Ouch!  :swoon:  (At the financial outlay.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bazvw205

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 08:13:42 PM »

You are welcome.

Ouch!  :swoon:  (At the financial outlay.)

Tell me about it, the tp link is advertised as the mother of all gaming routers though so I guess we'll find out!

Seriously though, the amount of dropped connections we get daily is a joke, living on an old estate with copper lines and slower speeds is bad enough. Hence the reason for the zyxel, broadband providers routers never seem up to the job