Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ethernet Cabling Question  (Read 1908 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Ethernet Cabling Question
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »

Good quality Cat5e will do 10Gbps on a short enough run.

Edit: Ronski beat me to it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »

I bought a cable that claimed to be CAT6A and refuses to link greater than 5Gbit over 10m.

On the other hand a very thin flat cable I bought prior that claims CAT6, links up at 10Gbit fine, and it was that one I was replacing as I had my doubts considering how thin it is.

I think there's probably a better chance of getting 10Gbit on a CAT5e cable than a CAT6, as they are less likely to be lying about actually being CAT5e than they are CAT6.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 08:14:45 AM »

I've got a couple of flat thin cables I've had for years that I use on occasionally, I noticed the other day that they were in fact marked up as Cat6.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 08:30:44 AM »

Its just so frustrating that unless its a branded cable, you have no clue if it meets the claim specification or not.  But the branded cables cost a fortune in comparison.  (except when a ton of Belkin CAT6 cables were being sold at Poundland, regret not buying a lot more of those as they had 7m for £1)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »

Its just so frustrating that unless its a branded cable, you have no clue if it meets the claim specification or not.  But the branded cables cost a fortune in comparison.  (except when a ton of Belkin CAT6 cables were being sold at Poundland, regret not buying a lot more of those as they had 7m for £1)
This is so true, I also try and buy branded copper cable but therre is alot of false advertising on Amazon/ ebay of cheap CCA cable being marketed as 'copper'
From what I have read for long runs of ethernet cable CCA does not meet the spec due to its high resistance, over very short distances it makes less difference.
Pages: 1 [2]