Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

Best option for updating an old laptop

<< < (2/6) > >>

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: neil on December 22, 2020, 06:21:00 PM ---i dont know what IDE is.

--- End quote ---

This link should help.  ;)

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Ronski on December 22, 2020, 07:40:36 PM ---Probably a complete waste of money, unless the IDE drive you're using is much slower than the interface.

Not mentioned above is Sata 3 is 600MB/sec.

Is there really any point putting a circa 500MB/sec SSD on a 133MB/Sec interface?

I've fitted SSD's to Sata 2 interfaces and haven't been able to notice much if any difference over the HDD it replaced, so the difference on IDE will probably be unnoticeable.

--- End quote ---

I find that hard to believe, I went from a HDD to a CompactFlash card on my old Amiga 600 and even there the speed difference was obvious.  Because the biggest improvement comes from the reduction in latency.

broadstairs:
I'm with Alex over the latency, my other laptop where I now have an SSD as the main drive was no slouch when it had an HDD but the difference now with the SSD it really noticeable and booting time is probably halved to the extent it's not worth hibernating it (which is a tad flaky) and the same is true of my desktop with an SSD booting is probably less than half although to be fair that has a new processor as well. I think my feelings about this older laptop which does not support UEFI is coloured by the performance of the desktop and SSD laptop, it is not that slow but I'd like it to boot faster and load programs faster - just a shame it's IDE and not SATA  :( I am currently using it to test an alpha version of my distro which necessitates a lot of booting!

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle:
I don’t think you can evaluate a system’s ‘performance’ by measuring time to reboot.  That is more a characteristic of OS design and in the case of Linux, down to the whim of the distribution packagers.

As example, my Unix iMac has blisteringly fast performance, but takes an eternity to complete a reboot, especially if following an untidy shutdown (Read “power cut“).

The reason for that is that MacOS apps save context while running so, upon reboot, it can reload every process in exactly the same state.  I’d rather it skipped all that nonsense, but the slow start up is not the fault of the system hardware.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on December 22, 2020, 10:55:14 PM ---The reason for that is that MacOS apps save context while running so, upon reboot, it can reload every process in exactly the same state.  I’d rather it skipped all that nonsense, but the slow start up is not the fault of the system hardware.

--- End quote ---

Kinda like how Windows suspends the kernel rather than clean boots it.  Much faster from HDD than not doing that, but it actually makes booting on SSD SLOWER than a clean boot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version