Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does anyone invest in bitcoin?  (Read 3782 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Does anyone invest in bitcoin?
« on: December 21, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »

I've been looking in to the possibility of getting in to the bitcoin buying.

As anyone on the forum bought either bitcoin or one of the other digital currencies out there? If so, do you have recommendations?

In these times of uncertainty I thought I better get some understanding of digital currency and how it works.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Does anyone invest in bitcoin?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »

Too volatile and doesn’t follow market trends meaning planned investments are totally guess work.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

Too volatile and doesn’t follow market trends meaning planned investments are totally guess work.

Agreed, applies to most investments, but especially unquantifiable ones.

If today’s news is to believed, given disruption to UK/France road haulage we’d have done well to invest in cauliflower.   If only we’d known.   There’s two in my fridge, which the minimum level I aim for,  but I could have got so many more in Saturday’s delivery.   ::)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 08:35:51 PM »

When my Dad passed, he left me a bit of cash and I looked at 'Bitcoin' as a place to invest.

Being a low - medium risk taker myself where money's concerned, I dropped it like a hot potato. Waaaaaay to out there for me.

Opted to take out a portfolio with what I might call a proper investment company, and as a low - medium risk applied, I'm seeing an average of 8% growth over the years. Better than it sitting with the banks and I'm not having sleepless nights like I would with 'Bitcoin'.

It's down to your own personal risk taking.  :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2018/12/05/the-top-10-risks-of-bitcoin-investing-and-how-to-avoid-them/?sh=7b2d13292407

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »

I think I'll give it a miss.

The main issue I've run in to is that some banks refuse to allow people to buy bitcoin, sadly my bank is one of them.

The way some people get around it is using another mobile app bank (Revolut is mentioned a lot) to transfer money in to there, then from there to the bitcoin exchange. It all seems more hassle than its worth at the moment.

Hopefully it'll become more accessable, especially if Paypal bring the ability to invest in to bitcoin to the UK. I think they let their US customers do it.

So I'll pass on this one, especially when you said its very risky anyway. It doesn't sound like its worth the hassle.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 07:46:16 AM »

I have also just started looking at diversifying some investments into bitcoin.

I happen to think bitcoin is going to be increasingly important in the future and perhaps a way of protecting yourself from future government financial controls through their use of Chinese-style CBDC - which they have committed to implement.

Paranoid much?  ;D

C

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 07:51:04 AM »

Lots of ways to diversify without going into a totally unregulated market. If you want high risk / reward look at hedges perhaps?
Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »

I have also just started looking at diversifying some investments into bitcoin.

I happen to think bitcoin is going to be increasingly important in the future and perhaps a way of protecting yourself from future government financial controls through their use of Chinese-style CBDC - which they have committed to implement.

I don't see how Bitcoin can ever be the unregulated currency they want it to be, that would require everyone to accept it and its still going to have a relative value compared to regulated currencies.  Governments are also going to increasingly regulate between converting from Bitcoin to regulated currency.  They basically have to, or businesses can use it to avoid paying tax, its a ripe way to money launder.

Overall I think the downsides are far greater than the benefits.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »

i guess it is just luck of when/if you decide to buy it and how much risk you want to take. I have been buying it and other large cap coins since 2016, best decision i ever made (although my first buy was luck, i purchased 3 BTC at $400 to pay a ransomware for a client and he later decided to not pay it so i kept them).

i think in the grand scheme of things it has a lot of growing to do

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 09:18:29 PM »

With hindsight I should have been mining, not buying, but I chose to put my GPU power into scientific research instead.

I think overall crypo-currency is going to be a fad though, as beyond illegal activities its just a bad idea.  We're still going to have big banking computers, so its just adding the energy problems and pollution for no real benefit to society.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »

With hindsight I should have been mining, not buying, but I chose to put my GPU power into scientific research instead.

I think overall crypo-currency is going to be a fad though, as beyond illegal activities its just a bad idea.  We're still going to have big banking computers, so its just adding the energy problems and pollution for no real benefit to society.

I could not disagree more, it is the hardest form of currency in the world and the big players in the traditional financial world know this and are scared of it. It's a bad idea for illegal activities too, all transactions are freely visible to anyone, unlike cash.

anything