Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Central heating energy saving  (Read 6349 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Central heating energy saving
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2022, 11:48:57 AM »

@chenks: sorry, but that's rather patronising. Of course I don't confuse flow temperature with room temperature. But a lower flow temperature means a lower radiator temperature, which means less heat output. The system will take substantially longer to heat up after a cold night, just when I need it the most.
  Eric

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2022, 12:57:30 PM »

you're voicing an opinion just like the other person.
you're assuming there must be a medical reason for it, are you basing that opinion on your experience of medical care?

I'm basing that on the fact there is nothing anywhere I can find suggesting its common for perfectly healthy people to suddenly turn up their thermostat from the recommended 21C.  Its well documented that is the temperature that should feel comfortable to most people, with some okay at a lower temperature.

If it suddenly doesn't feel comfortable any more (and you aren't suffering a draughty house causing some wind chill effect / cold spots in the house) then by definition that's a medical issue.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »

@chenks: sorry, but that's rather patronising. Of course I don't confuse flow temperature with room temperature. But a lower flow temperature means a lower radiator temperature, which means less heat output. The system will take substantially longer to heat up after a cold night, just when I need it the most.

not substantially at all if it's set up correctly.
the room will take slightly longer to get to desired temp, but not substantially longer. if it's taking substantially longer then you either haven't got the boiler and rads configured and balanced, or you have a heat loss issue in the room(s).

for comparison, i have recently adjusted the flow temp on my boiler, not for any cost saving reasons, but i've moved house and took the opporutinity to replace some rads that were too small and change the boiler from relay mode to opentherm (modulation) mode.

change the flow temp from the max 80 degrees down to 65 degrees (which should be in the range for condensing to start kicking in - anywhere between 60 and 70 should do it, even though some suggest 50 which is usually bad info). i've noticed no perceivable difference in the time it takes to heat up the main room to 21 degrees in the morning after the heating has been completely off overnight (ambient temp seems to be around 60 degrees). the stat then is set to keep the room at a steady 21 thru the whole day, and the boiler kicks in every now and then, once up to temp, to keep the temps at that.

with relay mode the boiler would kick in at full power any time the stat requested heat from the boiler, in modulation mode the boiler only powers up to what it needs to top up the heating, so not the full 28Kw, but maybe 10Kw or whatever it needs at the time.

not all boilers support modulation though, so depends what you have.
mine is an Alpha Etec 28.

working for a gas central heating installation and maintenance company helps though (although i'm not in the gas dept), so i have access to people who tend to know how to set up things up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:33:45 PM by chenks »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »

I'm basing that on the fact there is nothing anywhere I can find suggesting its common for perfectly healthy people to suddenly turn up their thermostat from the recommended 21C.  Its well documented that is the temperature that should feel comfortable to most people, with some okay at a lower temperature.

If it suddenly doesn't feel comfortable any more (and you aren't suffering a draughty house causing some wind chill effect / cold spots in the house) then by definition that's a medical issue.

is anyone suggesting they are turning it above 21c apart from a few anecdotal stories of hearing someone saying their brothers aunties next door neighbour does that?

however, you can't just give a blanket response to say someone must have a medical issue if their preference is different to yours.
if someone chooses to have their room at whatever temp then that's up to them, it doesn't impact you in any way.

why you found the response patronising though is beyond my comprehension.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2022, 05:01:20 PM »

you can't just give a blanket response to say someone must have a medical issue if their preference is different to yours.
if someone chooses to have their room at whatever temp then that's up to them, it doesn't impact you in any way.

That's literally how diagnosing medical problems works, if you're way outside the normal range for something.

I do seem to have somehow responded to something nobody wrote though about people increasing the temperature, I may have read a similar discussion on Facebook and got mixed up there. Sounds like @broadstairs was saying they consider 21C to be an oven so in that case it is them who is outside the norm as that is the average temperature recommended for comfort in a living space, 18C for a bedroom.

Although I'm confused at your reaction, at no point was I saying people aren't entitled to have whatever temperature they want.  On the contrary, I was highlighting that people who have it higher than normal or who can't reduce it for energy saving, it could be dangerous for them to have it lower than is comfortable so they should not be frowned upon.  There's a lot of people on discussions of this topic that tends to scream "just put a jumper on" without considering that is not necessarily a solution.

I know at least one person who cranked theirs to maximum who later were discovered to have a thyroid problem. It seems that for many years it was their only symptom so it was not discovered until they started losing weight.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2023, 01:12:31 PM »

Check out Octopus Tracker Tariff for anyone on Octopus, currently around 30% cheaper than the current "capped" Tariff the majority are on.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2023, 05:36:30 PM »

I’m on their tracker tariff and have rarely seen the daily price per kWh reach the capped price. Today it is 22.89p/kW including VAT.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2023, 10:27:42 AM »

I am on Agile for electric (35p cap version with cheap standing charge), its nice, but I have noticed the tracker is consistently cheaper, Agile reports the average (for informational purposes only) and its typically 3-4p higher than the tracker unit rate, but still better than SVR of course.  The cheaper SC makes me better of than the tracker though.

On tracker for gas.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything