Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nerdy resolutions for 2023?  (Read 3103 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Nerdy resolutions for 2023?
« on: January 02, 2023, 01:07:25 AM »

So here we are, another rotation around Sol is complete.

What are your tech related plans?

Skills wise I've a new product to learn and a doctoral proposal to complete. I need to learn more segment based routing, complete work on IPv6 and complete the coding classes.

At home everything is as it should be hardware wise to the point where I will probably sell some excess. Only thing I have any use for now is a low port count SFP28 device.

The backup connection will be moving from Openreach to CityFibre when possible to provide more resilience: the CF fibre takes a different path.

Content wise I've purged some toxicity by removing Twitter from the online diet in 2022, thanks Elon, and that's been followed by ISP Review as of this morning. The comments section there has seen the usual trolls, one or two twenty-odd years in, joined by conspiracy theorists and political extremists enjoying the anonymity. It is poison.

The plan is to spend far less time on most forums, avoid website comments sections entirely, and stick with Mastodon alongside occasional selective posts on things that interest. Will continue to read but certainly 2 of the 3 I use have completely lost their allure as the box of trolls have taken over.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Nerdy resolutions for 2023?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 04:07:58 AM »

Agree about the comments section. Needs a cull.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 06:35:48 PM »

A great post. Agree with you on the online diet - my aim is to consume less in the way of comments on forums and facebook and make more use of my time. I've settled in quite well at my job and aim to bring my previous years experiences of automation in, so excited to pass on and modernise our working practices.

As for me personally, need to do JNCIA-Junos because everyone in my team needs to have it, and despite being an active CCIE - I also need to show an example so will be taking that pretty shortly. After that, need to think about DevNet certs. The problem with having an expert leven examination is that in order to keep that up I need to renew by either taking the CCDE (design) written exam, or a lab exam at CCIE level. I did toy with doing CCIE SP but I don't think it's really worth it long term. However, DevNet is new, relevant, and there are expert level offerings. I even renewed my CCIE by taking courses, and did the CCNA/CCNP levels of DevNet training so I've a good start...

Lots of projects to do, one of my more interesting ones will be to show off a proof of concept of a Steam cache - so even if you have 900Mbps internet, you'll pretty much guarantee to get it internally across our network...

At home, well, another year, another dream of FTTP. As far as I know, surveys have been created for my area but no other progress to report. Was looking forward to Netomnia/YouFibre but a disappointing revelation was discovered at the end of last year where my street is all DiG. Bugger. I know Ogi will come one day - so at this point I may well wait for them to build in my area. If OR FTTP turns up then I'll move to AAISP FTTP for the time being. In terms of my current setup - well I've decided to port my landline to VoIP (in progress) and cease Sky's FTTC, and I'll likely go bonded FTTC for the time being, but to be fully decided...

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 07:13:22 PM »

What are your tech related plans?
I'm going to remove most of the modern tech I added to my over 20yo "weekend modern classic" motor and revert it back to factory original which is basically 1990s technology.
The only thing I'll keep is the reversing camera (it's a BIG car) and I'm adding a simple external stereo audio input cable via mini-jack as the 6-CD changer is a bit limiting and rather inaccessible in the boot.

IT-wise nothing planned as my old-school wet string broadband runs fine at 21mbps and all my computers (bar a really old one on W10) have been upgraded by fair means or foul to Windows 11.

My ongoing resolution to never engage with social media remains fully enabled.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 01:17:37 AM »

My ongoing resolution to never engage with social media remains fully enabled.

Amen!
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 11:55:02 AM »

Social media has its flaws, but I would never have reconnected with my cousins and people I went to school with if it wasn't for Facebook.

I don't invest much time in it though as its became more and more useless since they insist on breaking functionality in favour of pushing "promoted content".  Half the time I can't reply to comments anyway as the notifications do not work due to their filtering being broken for years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:57:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors