Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 4G stone wall reception  (Read 3006 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Re: 4G stone wall reception
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »

When connected to WiFi a mobile phone will use the broadband connection to make calls instead of the cell phone tower.

Great for anyone with poor mobile or no mobile reception indoors.
like a whatsapp call?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 07:45:40 PM »

Yes and no, yes only in the sense that wifi calling is using data, it's using your broadband data instead of mobile data though. No because that is a separate app, wi-fi calling should be completely transparent to the end user, they dial a number from their mobile phone, and as there is no mobile signal the call is routed over the broadband connection via the wi-fi link.

Hope that makes sense.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »

This thread really resonated with me, until recently I was unaware only certain operators support wifi calling (and certain phones obviously).  A while back I switched to Tesco mobile for one of my SIMs, I live in a not-spot and was very frustrated to find suddenly I could not use the phone at home.

Annoying, mobile operators appear to be using wifi-calling as a 'feature' for marketing purposes and only enabling on some contracts or certain tariff's - one to watch out for.

Currently I also use 3 for all my SIM's as they support wifi-calling on PAYG, as I also (pre-COVID) travel a lot for work they are also very good for international roaming under some of their contracts (roaming calls and data in the USA is a big money saver)

C

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 10:14:22 PM »

Its likely because Three needs WiFi calling more than every other network, as they do not have any 2G coverage.

I moved to O2 from Three as at the time the call charges were identical and O2 has much better coverage in my experience.  As Three is quite weak at home it was hammering the battery.

My mum is still on Three but as she spends most of her time upstairs, its not nearly as bad as her room is facing the mast.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »

what carrier still has a 2G network? it was all shut down surely as there is nationwide 3G coverage.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »

@tickmike, @7LM - so given that my wife is on an EE contract, and has an iPhone, then in theory wifi calling ought to work?

Janet’s iPhone connects to the house’s wireless LAN fine as I can ping it using its A&A static IPv4 WLAN address, and my Firebrick router can see the iPhone, lists it on the list of DHCP clients and in the known ARP list. (Each known host gets an IPv4 address via DHCP, but that address is actually constant, set according to a long list of MAC address -> IPv4 mappings in the router.)

I read tickmike’s very helpful old post about the EE/Cisco boxes. Do I actually need one though given that this Apple phone does supposedly speak wifi calling?

I could start either by talking to Apple or by talking to EE - nightmare, each will blame the other. I will recheck the settings yet again, but I should probably get Apple to help me with that.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »

what carrier still has a 2G network? it was all shut down surely as there is nationwide 3G coverage.

The 2G networks will be around longer than the 3G networks, as the emergency services use the 2G networks.

Vodafone is looking to shutdown their 3G network: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/vodafone-uk-to-switch-off-3g-mobile-network-within-2-3-years.html

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »

Its likely because Three needs WiFi calling more than every other network, as they do not have any 2G coverage.

I moved to O2 from Three as at the time the call charges were identical and O2 has much better coverage in my experience.  As Three is quite weak at home it was hammering the battery.

My mum is still on Three but as she spends most of her time upstairs, its not nearly as bad as her room is facing the mast.

they actually used the 2G network from another provider, can't remember who it was, possible EE (or whatever they were called at the time).
when 3G coverage was pretty much UK wide they dropped it as it was no longer needed.

3G coverage reaching 98.7% of the population, 4G coverage available to 99.8% of the population

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »

so given that my wife is on an EE contract, and has an iPhone, then in theory wifi calling ought to work?

I read tickmike’s very helpful old post about the EE/Cisco boxes. Do I actually need one though given that this Apple phone does supposedly speak wifi calling?

iPhone.
You have to turn it on in >settings>phone>WiFi calling   turn on.

Note you can link other apple device's to her phone as well and 'if it's in range' make calls on them using her account.

We have the EE box as well, useful for me on PAYG and our daughter or visitors.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »

Janet’s iPad can get notification of incoming calls that go to her iphone and the iPad can then pick them up. So that bit works.

So if we check the settings as per tickmike’s post and find it isn’t set correctly then all good, possibly. If not though, do we call Apple or EE? Toss a coin?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 10:56:07 PM »

Janet’s iPad can get notification of incoming calls that go to her iphone and the iPad can then pick them up. So that bit works.

So if we check the settings as per tickmike’s post and find it isn’t set correctly then all good, possibly. If not though, do we call Apple or EE? Toss a coin?

Call EE, got nothing to do with Apple as it's controlled by the carrier.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »

@GigabitEthernet The ‘call Apple’ thing was motivated by wondering whether there might be an iOS bug.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »

@GigabitEthernet The ‘call Apple’ thing was motivated by wondering whether there might be an iOS bug.

Not aware of any bugs with Wi-Fi Calling. It's a very reliable feature.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 05:41:46 AM »

Many thanks

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »

I think EE may have to make sure WiFi calling is enabled on the account.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything