Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thinking of Migrating - Some Questions  (Read 1758 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Thinking of Migrating - Some Questions
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »

I was considering having a rethink regarding my phone and broadband service providers.

I am currently with Uno on their 40/10 connection with TTB. My phone / voice is with BT.

My current monthly cost is £54 (for both).

Whereas previously I have migrated my BB purely as a result of poor performance, I can’t say that this time as Uno have been great. Been with then for 10 years on ADSL2 and for the last 2 years on fibre.

The occasional and rare outage sure but my fibre connection runs really good (down 37 / up 9 all the time) does not suffer from single thread download issues.

So my deliberations as to whether to move from Uno this time is one that is purely based on price considerations and of course this is of concern to me.

I would not want to go with any of the big 6 but rather with another niche player.

I have seen that some niche players eg Pulse8, IDNet, Zen, offer combined BB and telephone line rental for a much cheaper cost eg Zen 40/10 + phone line rental £30. If Zen’s call package (£6.50) is included then £36.50.

From my searches, I see that if I were to move to any of the above isps, I would be transferred to FMPF rather than my current SMPF (which I have always preferred).

So a couple of questions please.

1. If I migrated to FMPF would I retain my existing BT phone number? Searching on these forums is not completely clear. Some threads suggest a risk of loosing it.

2. I understand that if I were to move to FMPF, it would make any return to BT / SMPF more expensive but what about future isp to isp migrations. Struggling to understand if this would narrow my isp availability and / or if this would be more expensive. Plus if I would loose my phone number.

Many thanks for any info provided
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:47:13 PM by risk_reversal »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Thinking of Migrating - Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

I was with Uno paying £55 pm on SMPF and I tried to move to Pulse 8 on SMPF but they didn't seem to be able to do it only MPF. So I ended going to TTB on MPF and kept my number. CS is a bit wobbly (they sent me 3 routers) but the network is absolutely solid. I originally migrated on the Simply package but their calls are not that cheap so I upgraded to the Complete package for an extra £5 a month for unlimted calls to landline or mobile for peace of mind. Pulse 8 were helpful but I thought if I have to go MPF I may as well go TTB. Note 2 year contract.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »

I was with Uno paying £55 pm on SMPF and I tried to move to Pulse 8 on SMPF but they didn't seem to be able to do it only MPF. So I ended going to TTB on MPF and kept my number. CS is a bit wobbly (they sent me 3 routers) but the network is absolutely solid. I originally migrated on the Simply package but their calls are not that cheap so I upgraded to the Complete package for an extra £5 a month for unlimted calls to landline or mobile for peace of mind. Pulse 8 were helpful but I thought if I have to go MPF I may as well go TTB. Note 2 year contract.

Thank you banger.

I did of course read your thread.

TTB as supplied via Uno doesn't scare me but being a customer of TT directly does!!!

In the event that I need to call CS, Uno are excellent. If the TT network (direct) is as solid as that delivered by Uno then I would imagine that I would rarely speak to them.

However, I have had to help friends on TT who have had issues with their BB and the thought of speaking with TT's own CS fills me with a terrible sense of foreboding. I don't want to speak to naive script jokeys.

The thought of a 2 year contract with TT (or any of the big 6 really) makes me break out in cold sweats and shivers.

But thank you for letting me know that you kept your number when moving to TTB MPF

I hope that someone will be able to help answer the 2 questions I raised.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:32:28 PM by risk_reversal »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 12:31:29 AM »

TTB as supplied via Uno doesn't scare me but being a customer of TT directly does!!!

TalkTalk Business (TTB), as used by banger, is not the TalkTalk Retail of legend and horror stories!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 11:53:11 AM »

TalkTalk Business (TTB), as used by banger, is not the TalkTalk Retail of legend and horror stories!  ;)

Thanks for clarifying burakkucat.

Not really comfortable with a 24 month contract from anyone. Plus I would much prefer to support a smaller company.

Cheers

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »

I am with Zen. Moved my landline number to them with no problem. 12 month contract (which I prefer) and working ipv6 too for those who want it.
No complaints with their service all be it only a few times I have called them.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »

Not really comfortable with a 24 month contract from anyone. Plus I would much prefer to support a smaller company.

24 months contracts are becoming far more common unfortunately.
Even the likes of Zen are starting to apply them to their FTTP contracts.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 04:33:34 PM »

I am with Zen. Moved my landline number to them with no problem. 12 month contract (which I prefer) and working ipv6 too for those who want it.
No complaints with their service all be it only a few times I have called them.

Thank you. Just for clarity, you moved both BB and phone. Seems to be the case from what you are saying.

Late to the party as always but I only stumbled on this single thread download issue a short while ago. Does your BB suffer from this? or is this an issue that has been resolved by Zen for all their customers?

24 months contracts are becoming far more common unfortunately.
Even the likes of Zen are starting to apply them to their FTTP contracts.

Certainly not all for FTTC. You can still get 1 month at Uno, Pulse8 and IDnet.

But I certainly do accept that all providers who are reducing their costs will want to lock customers in. Which is fine if all goes smoothly but is of course a total pain if things go pair shaped!

If I were to go to Zen with MPF (as would be the case) and for some reason or other did not find them acceptable or had issues, what is my migration path like afterwards though???

Cheers

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 05:19:03 PM »

IDNet do SMPF on 1 month rolling contracts and provide excellent customer service.

Possibly an ideal match for you.  They were for me.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »

IDNet do SMPF on 1 month rolling contracts and provide excellent customer service.

Possibly an ideal match for you.  They were for me.

Cheers.

Seasons Greetings to All