Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: wireless keyboard/mouse using bluetooth without usb dongle  (Read 1431 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
wireless keyboard/mouse using bluetooth without usb dongle
« on: December 19, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »

anyone come across wireless keyboard/mouse kits that connect to your laptop via standard bluetooth and not require a USB dongle?
i only have 2 USB3 ports on my laptop, and ideally i don't want one taken up just to enable the use of a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: wireless keyboard/mouse using bluetooth without usb dongle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »

Simply searching Bluetooth Keyboard should bring up some results.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »

No p00 Sherlock.
However most of the you end up with a product that is using a usb dongle, hence why I'm looking for actual real world recommendations

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »

You can purchase a Bluetooth mouse, not sure about keyboard
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »

No p00 Sherlock.
However most of the you end up with a product that is using a usb dongle, hence why I'm looking for actual real world recommendations

Just because they come with a dongle, doesn't mean you have to use it.  If its Bluetooth, it works with ANY Bluetooth enabled device that supports keyboards, not just their included dongle.

There are some drawback however as by using Bluetooth you can't use them outside of the OS.  They may not work even until you've logged in.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »

Just because they come with a dongle, doesn't mean you have to use it.  If its Bluetooth, it works with ANY Bluetooth enabled device that supports keyboards, not just their included dongle.

There are some drawback however as by using Bluetooth you can't use them outside of the OS.  They may not work even until you've logged in.

Do you have any real life experience of using such devices? It doesn't sound like you do.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »

You can purchase a Bluetooth mouse, not sure about keyboard

This is what I'm finding too, the dongle seems to be a requirement

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:12:08 AM »

According to this article, you can connect an Apple magic keyboard to windows using bluetooth.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-connect-an-apple-wireless-keyboard-to-windows-10/

I’d not recommend that as...

Magic keyboards are hideously expensive, unless bundled with a machine.
Key legends would be sub optimal for Windows.
They are not nice to use, the feel of the keys is terrible, imho at least.

...but... it does seem to confirm that the technology exists to do.

digbey

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »

Here's another Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse. It is supposed to work with PC, Mac, Phones and Tablets. There are others on that site.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/products/combos/k380-m350-keyboard-mouse-combo.html?crid=1759

"The slim, lightweight K380 Multi-Device keyboard  and M350 Pebble are easy to carry and outfitted with Bluetooth so you can multitask at home, on the go, or at your favourite cafe."

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »

It’s been mentioned but have some backup as if you need to recover the OS or access the BIOS it’s unlikely to work.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »

I'm using this Arteck Compact Bluetooth Keyboard on my work laptop.

The only problem I have it is that the Bluetooth drivers don't kick in until it's got past the McAfee Disk Encryption software log in stage, so I still have to use the laptop keyboard for the initial log in.

I use it with a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse.  Great mouse, but ridiculously expensive at its normal selling price.  I got mine on a Black Friday deal.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »

Do you have any real life experience of using such devices? It doesn't sound like you do.

Yes I do, I've had various bluetooth keyboards over the years though generally miniature ones.

Like I said, Bluetooth is less popular for keyboards as they only work once booted into the OS which can be problematic, so the dedicated protocol/dongle ones are more practical.

I'm also literally using a Logitech M720 mouse right now which supports both their dongle AND Bluetooth.  I use the dongle on my desktop and Bluetooth on the laptop.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »

I've had 3 Logitech MX Anywhere mice and all 3 have failed, the first during the first year and was replaced by Logitech under warranty the second failed within a year but Logitech refused to replace because it was a replacement and the original warranty applied. Bought one more but that failed just out of warranty so never ever again especially at that ridiculous price. Apparently there is a design flaw, or at least there was, but it was enough to make me never use them again, great when it worked but should last lots longer than 12-18 months.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »

Must have been a dud model, I only replaced my last Logitech mouse because I broke the cable snagging it on things after many years of use.  Actually my mum is using that one as I found by pulling the cable into the mouse it maintained contact in the wire, as long as it didn't snag on anything again.

Logitech and Microsoft mice I always used them to the point the pads wore off.