Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple button  (Read 850 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Apple button
« on: December 19, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »

My wife has an iPad Pro v3 (2020 model) with the large screen. It provides face recognition and has no fingerprint reader or Apple home button. I can’t imagine how I would get on without the button, which I use to get back to the shell, and when I have tried her machine I am completely lost. I really wish Apple provided ‘with’ and ‘without button’ models as a choice.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Apple button
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:06:07 AM »

Agreed, buttons are better.

When touch screen smart phones first appeared I held off from buying one for a very long time, because I hated the idea of not having tactile buttons to answer/reject calls.  I was convinced I would accidentally reject calls I wanted to accept, and vice versa.

A decade or so later with various generations of iPhone my mind has not changed.  I still encounter a brief moment of dread when the damn thing rings... will my wet, or gloved, or shaking (if cold) finger work?   Will I be able to swipe in the right direction?  Will I need to use two hands, thereby dropping something I am holding? Or letting go of a handrail in a perilous place, and falling over?

With the buttonless iPad, how do you know which way up you are holding it?  That might matter for the sakes of cameras/microphones.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »

With the buttonless iPad, how do you know which way up you are holding it?  That might matter for the sakes of cameras/microphones.

easy to tell, the power button should be top right.
if it isn't then you don't have it "top up".

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »

On the Air 4 the power button is the fingerprint reader ! Not sure why they didn’t use Face ID
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.