Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 Vectoring Accross Several (two) DSLAMS  (Read 1003 times)

siofjofj

• Reg Member
VDSL2 Vectoring Accross Several (two) DSLAMS
« on: December 18, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »

On my new VDSL2 connection I have the following stats which clearly show vectoring is enabled.
Code: [Select]
Stats recorded 18 Dec 2020 12:09:53

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xc190 (193.144) / v0xc190
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6F039v2.d26a
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  15 hours 33 min 23 sec
Resyncs:                0 (since 18 Dec 2020 12:09:49)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  21.3 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 40000 9997
SNR margin (dB):        13.4 6.7
Power (dBm):            11.9 7.4
Interleave depth:        16 1
INP:                    45.00 0
G.INP:                  Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        1 (VECT_FULL)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.0001 0.0025
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                0 0

The serving PCP is shown in the attached photo, and you will note is has a Huawei 288 VDSL cabinet next to it (with the 384HD expansion on the right side of it out of shot), a copper expansion side pod to the right of the the PCP, and an active side pod to the left of the PCP. I believe the active side pod is a VDSL expansion pod, not G.fast, as none of the properties close to the cabinet have G.fast estimates listed on the BT Wholesale checker and the Magenta Systems codelook site remarks "FTTC Available from 31st December 2014, expanded 22nd July 2020" and we know that Openreach have recently started rolling out these side pods with VDSL DSLAMs in them. My question is this, does vectoring work accross two seperate DSLAMs? I was under the impression it didn't, or at least these two DSLAMS would have to be part of two different vectoring groups, or perhaps there is some way of linking them together? Otherwise perhaps a set of lines going in one direction are connected to one DSLAM and the other direction to the other?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL2 Vectoring Accross Several (two) DSLAMS
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »

It does work across 2 Huawei DSLAM's of the same model (not just Vendor).
Node level Vectoring.
I'm pretty sure the Huawei node level Vectoring doesn't work across the mix of Huawei DSLAM's OpenReach use.

The Huawei MA5818 VDSL DSLAM (The Sidepod) almost certainly doesn't have a Vectoring module.

I've seen other BDUK cabinets with Vectoring get a 2nd DSLAM without Vectoring a couple times and I'm yet to see the 2nd DSLAM actually have Vectoring running.

I'm not aware of OpenReach using Node level Vectoring anywhere but that doesn't mean there is none.

Otherwise perhaps a set of lines going in one direction are connected to one DSLAM and the other direction to the other?

Definitely not.

They would need to rearrange every single bundle already connected to the 1st DSLAM when they installed the 2nd DSLAM.
Half the lines would have needed moved from 1 DSLAM to the other when provisioned.
Every new customer would need a port issued on the DSLAM that Vectored their bundle.

They didn't go to that trouble to get ECI board level Vectoring working. Far far too messy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 03:50:57 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM