Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interleaving Applied To Connection 24hrs After ASUS Router Crashed And Rebooted  (Read 1860 times)

blue166

Hi Guys,

On Sunday my ASUS ACRT86u router crashed after applying some settings. It took a minute or two to sort itself out. Its connected to a Openreach ECI modem.

The connection was solid before this unexpected reboot.

Anyways nothing happened with line on early hrs of Monday but early hours of Tuesday DLM stepped in at just after 2am and placed interleaving on the line. Its been applied ever since.

Any advice or just leave things be?

Obviously with the ECI modem I have access no no stats.

Thanks in advance.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I kind of had a similar issue with a faulty BT Hub recently. Just leave the connection a few days (took mine eight) and things will be back to normal soon.

j0hn

• Kitizen

The Asus's freezing up was likely a coincidence.
The router should have no impact on the DSL layer.

Interleaving is applied for high ES.

You get the same ES with no router connected as you do with PPP connected and fully utilising the line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

blue166

I didn't know if it could really cause an issue with the DSL connection since it spent a couple of minutes it's sorting itself out I wasn't sure if the DSL connection was trying to throw IP addresses at it and establish a connection while the router was sorting out the reboot. Obviously I was given a brand new IP address at the time.

It just confused matters as it had been up for about 125 days before that and stable. The reason it went down before that was a BT engineer disconnecting star wiring outside the property to an upstairs unused socket.

So it had been stable. But maybe a coincidence and something was going to give anyway.

Another question. What is the best suited modem to work with my ASUS router that would actually give me all the stats I need. I really could do with seeing them.

Thanks,

j0hn

• Kitizen

I used a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A with my Asus RT-AC68U.
It looks a bit like the ECI modem but in black.
It's the highest syncing and most stable modem i ever tried on my line and is a favourite of many regular members on the forum.

They are no longer made so eBay tends to be the only place they pop up and they are becoming a bit less common to find unfortunately.

blue166

I used a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A with my Asus RT-AC68U.
It looks a bit like the ECI modem but in black.
It's the highest syncing and most stable modem i ever tried on my line and is a favourite of many regular members on the forum.

They are no longer made so eBay tends to be the only place they pop up and they are becoming a bit less common to find unfortunately.

Many thanks I will look at picking one of these up. Do you have to stick it in modem mode or anything?

Just hope my line isn't starting to go south  ???

Still sitting interleaved. Been 3 full days since the DLM change  :(

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

@blue166   The good old Huawei HG612 3B ( The other modem that was supplied by Openreach ) works perfectly well for me. It can be unlocked by loading modified firmware to give a full range of stats via a telnet connection. Information on this is on Kitz website. They are still available on auction sites, don't pay extra for an unlocked one, it isn't difficult to do.

blue166

I will definitely look at the other modems. I do have a Huawei locked in stock that I got from Ebay years go. Just never hooked it up as worried about ECI cab and diff vendor modem. But I will again look at unlocking this.

As for my connection. There is nothing more I can do right now other than leave it running? I have left it alone since this happened. I'm a bit scared to power modem down or anything right now.

I monitor the connection on TBB BQM and have done this since connection went live in 2013. DLM definitely hasn't attempted anything else with my profile yet since this change since 2am Tuesday. So Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and now Saturday.  It has been 4 full days since the DLM intervention. 

The can't leave things alone in me want to try something but the other part is just leave things be.

Advice please.

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 09:27:14 AM by blue166 »

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member

When I went back to the HG612 3B DLM took action and applied fastpath due to the low errors. The best modem I've had even though it syncs less.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions

Little you can do, but with an unlocked modem you can see what error rate is. If appropriate you could cap the line at a slower speed to reduce errors and hence persuade the DLM to act. There is a thread about this. I wouldn’t do anything until you can see what’s actually going on.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions

blue166

Many thanks for that.

So if you cap the connection and say things recover in a couple of days can you start to move it towards the speed you had before or would you not make any changes towards that speed again?

Also say the connection recovered could you then power down Huawei modem after a few days and place ECI one back on connection?

What are the pros and cons with these techniques please? Whats your experience with these changes?

Many thanks,

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions

It’s difficult until stats are available. If you get the HG612 working I see no reason to remove it. Mine have given constant good results on both my services.

When you can see the stats you can remove the cap and see what happens. If you follow advice by leaving 30 minutes between re syncs you shouldn’t have any issues, with occasionally needing to resync ( the modem will resync each time you add or remove cap).

I would strongly suggest you get stats and post them here and one of the forum members will assist your understanding. Your total blind without and not able to deduce anything useful.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Sometimes the DLM will take 8 days to remove interleaving whether you cap your sync speed or not.

I'd recommend waiting the 8 days with the current modem connected to see if interleaving removed itself.
If not then stick the Huawei on the line and apply a Downstream sync cap.
This lowers errors and nudges the DLM back to fastpath.
You can then remove the cap and allow the line to sync at full speed again.

The whole concept that you should match Vendors between modem and cabinet is essentially a myth.
Every line is unique and every modem performs different on different lines.
Broadcom chipset modems worked best on my ECI (Lantiq) cabinet.
Broadcom chipset modems also worked best on my Huawei (Broadcom) cabinet.
There are dozens of members on this forum who also find Broadcom to be the best on their ECI cabinets and others who use Lantiq chipset modems on Huawei cabinets.

You may well find the Huawei modem outperforms the ECI modem even though it's an ECI cabinet.

blue166

Many thanks for the advice I do appreciate it.

Quick question. My ASUS router is set to 192.168.1.1 am I able to force the Huawei modem to use a different IP to connect to. I see it defaults also to 192.168.1.1

Many thanks.
Pages: [1] 2