Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The HG612 is the best FTTC modem I've ever had  (Read 1527 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
The HG612 is the best FTTC modem I've ever had
« on: December 16, 2020, 07:23:09 PM »

Mine is around nearly a decade old and even though it syncs less than others, it is extremely stable and I keep going back to using it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: The HG612 is the best FTTC modem I've ever had
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »

It varies so much.  My Zen line is rock-solid stable on a Home Hub 5 running OpenWRT and syncs faster than anything else to boot.

The same modem on my Plusnet line became insanely unstable when they enabled G.INP so I had to go back to the Zyxel.

I can't remember how the HG612 performed though I'm sure I did a comparison on the forum somewhere.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »

HG612 has very good upload sync, downstream is slow and will within a matter of days, not recover in terms of SNRM, I assume it's got poor bitswapping.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »

HG612 has very good upload sync, downstream is slow and will within a matter of days, not recover in terms of SNRM, I assume it's got poor bitswapping.

Agreed.  Significantly better upstream, but worse downstream than my VMG1312-B10A.  The DSLStats bitswapping graphs show a lot more bit swapping on the HG612 than on the Zyxel.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:28:09 PM »

Agreed.  Significantly better upstream, but worse downstream than my VMG1312-B10A.  The DSLStats bitswapping graphs show a lot more bit swapping on the HG612 than on the Zyxel.

I wonder what the cause is then.

It will start at say 6dB and very slowly never recover back to that ever again.

I have vectoring so perhaps it's a quirk with that - I would be curious to try other DSL firmwares and see if that makes a difference - but it's something I've never experienced on any other modem.

Right now using the Smart Hub which is slow on the upload and the downstream - at least the SNRM seems to recover every day though.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:40:56 AM »

On my line the HG612 tends to bitswap more than the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A.

I noticed the HG612 tends to bitswap back into use the previously bitswapped deallocated upper tones whereas the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A tends to mark tones as unused and not bitswap them back into use when conditions change. I wasn't sure how to word this lol. :lol:

I noticed this since I tend to get increased noise at night and the D3 band is obliterated, the Zyxel tends not to bitswap and not use/reuse this band, whereas the HG612 I noticed it starts allocating bits again in the D3 band when noise levels improve.

Also I have no idea why the HG612 gives me the highest upstream sync.

I was able to get back fastpath on the HG612 since I got far less errors.

So basically on my line the Zyxel loves to push the downstream sync to the edge of stability at the cost of more errors and interleaving.

HG612 has aggressive bitswapping with a conservative sync.

Your mileage may vary.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

Assume it's just me then who on the HG6121 has the SNRM slowly drop and never recover back to where it started?

Must be a vectoring thing, I would think.