Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FTTP arrival  (Read 8793 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP arrival
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »

As already mentioned, anyone not getting full speed its more than likely their end that is the problem, nothing actually wrong with the service.  I wouldn't say "multiple threads" is a LOT of people, considering how widespread these services are now, that's still going to be a minority.

Personally I keep my Plex server at home, so having 110Mbit upload would be extremely useful for me to access it when out of the house (assuming its ever safe to do that again).

I'm not doubting that 500Mbit is good enough for your situation, but I don't think these reports of speed issues should play any part in your decision making process because as already pointed out, its almost guaranteed to be a misunderstanding from the end user of how the service works, a bad router or trying to get full speed over WiFi.  There are people on this forum a lot more knowledgeable about how all this works.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »

My Asus router (DSL-AC68u) wouldn't even work with the line, it is that bad. I have to use bridged HG612 just to get the internet to work.

If that Asus device uses a MediaTek chipset then, yes, that is a problem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

thesmileyone

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »

Openreach turned up today to fit CSP and the fibre cable. They just left, saying all done. I've had a look and there's no CSP fitted, just a coil of cable zip tied to the bottom of a drain pipe.

Is this normal? I thought they had to fit a "Customer Splice Point" box to the wall? Is this something the stage 2 people will do or will this complicate the process?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything