Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: FTTP arrival  (Read 8790 times)

daveesh1

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP arrival
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2021, 05:38:04 PM »

Got a TXT message yesterday to say my install had been brought forward to 8th April happy days  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 08:16:47 PM »

Ooh that's awesome.  Hopefully I might get one too!

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »

Install completed this morning quick speed test was 490 and 49 on the 500 package :D. Now when i get 5 mins to connected into PF Sense

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »

Congrats!

I think only on an Internet subject can I say.. Happy Speeding :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »

Can't stop doing speed test  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 02:01:13 PM »

Lovely jubbly!  In happy related news, I've been contacted today by Zen who've managed to pull the date forward.  So hopefully will be joining you in the fast lane soon. :)

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 02:04:12 PM »

Good news  :fingers: all goes well

thesmileyone

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 02:42:40 AM »

Ordered 300 today, Zen say it will take 4 weeks... hopefully all goes well. I didn't see the point in the extra money for 900 especially hearing people only getting 400 on their 900 lines.

Upgrading from FTTC which only runs at 38/12 so a rather big upgrade.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 06:10:50 AM »

Ordered 300 today, Zen say it will take 4 weeks... hopefully all goes well. I didn't see the point in the extra money for 900 especially hearing people only getting 400 on their 900 lines.

I've not seen anyone saying that unless you mean single-threaded, everyone getting over 900 multi-threaded and remember that even if a single client only gets 400, that means another client can do 400 at the same time with 100 to spare - so your latency will still be good.

In an ideal world we would always have slightly more bandwidth than we need to avoid ever getting bufferbloat/latency issues.  If you can do everything you need to do without having to enable QoS on the router, that's a win IMO and another reduction in latency.  Especially useful for audio and video chat.

Not saying it was worth 900 in your case, but if you chose 300 because you thought 900 wasn't delivering 900, you're mistaken.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:53:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2021, 08:39:47 AM »

In my case, sub-optimal config in Windows (caused by some changes the Hamachi VPN client makes on install.... grrrr) were resulting in poor single thread results at 900mbit on my FTTP.  QOS and IDS settings in the router also hobbling the performance.
Once that was sorted (receive window autotune and RSS), it was possible it seems to get very fast single threaded performance.

This was single threaded measured on a Linux Ubuntu live disc, well over 800mbit/sec.

Windows was limiting single thread performance to about 60mbit/sec (still comparatively fast in UK internet terms).  Fast.com could only achieve around 500mbit/sec as it defaults to 8 threads (8x 60=480).

And of course, if you only use wireless, then your wireless throughput is another significant factor.

I think the moral of the story is that unless you're lucky and everything aligns, you might well not get 900mbit / sec out of a 900mbit connection, but there is a very large chance that the issues are in your network or computer config, and not in the service.  Unfortunately many folk will never work out this sort of thing as tuning a gigabit level network is beyond the reach of many.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »

Welcome to the club Bogof  ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »

I think the moral of the story is that unless you're lucky and everything aligns, you might well not get 900mbit / sec out of a 900mbit connection, but there is a very large chance that the issues are in your network or computer config, and not in the service.  Unfortunately many folk will never work out this sort of thing as tuning a gigabit level network is beyond the reach of many.

Fortunately that's still only one client though, so if you are a household full of people streaming or updating their games library, you'll still get the full benefit.

I find that with three WAN connections, quite often only two ever get loaded up at a time by say the games consoles.  But with a bit of tweaking to the policy routing, all three connections still get a good workout overall.

Its far less of an issue with a single WAN, already heard of people easily doing 900Mbit on Xbox Series downloads.  Steam, UPlay and Epic can easily max all three of my connections as it is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:01:38 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2021, 02:34:17 PM »

Welcome to the club Bogof  ::)
Thanks, enjoying the fast lane! :) :)

Fortunately that's still only one client though, so if you are a household full of people streaming or updating their games library, you'll still get the full benefit.
Yes, but unfortunately most folk will just judge their speed by whatever they see on the screen from their laptop / computer / whatever, which is where the issues arise.   Chances are unless they're obsessed with using and old and underpowered router that the ISP router will probably route the full line rate.

The OR guy who did my connection was telling me he'd recently been somewhere with a complaint of not getting the full 900mbit, and the homeowner got a sizeable bill due to the issue being with their own equipment.  Until ISPs standardize on providing some kind of test capability directly in the router interfaces that sort of thing (and opinions like the one you were replying to) will continue.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »

The router manufacturers got us into this situation.  First they slapped "Gigabit" on the front simply because the router has Gigabit ports, now they add up the combined maximum link rate of all the WiFi networks together.  All the while the actual NAT speed can be significantly less than Gigabit.

I don't see this problem going away any time soon.  Even as a technical user its hard to find out the NAT speed of most routers without actually owning one and testing it.  Its what drove me to generic x86 routers in the first place.

Though I came full circle as I originally used an old Compaq desktop to NAT dialup, back when NAT was "experimental" in the kernel and I would install Slackware from a billion floppies.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:11:27 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

thesmileyone

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2021, 03:44:08 AM »

There's a lot of people not getting the full speed. I don't know if I can link to other forums on here? If so I can provide multiple threads.

The reason I mainly need better than FTTC is two reasons.

1. My FTTC connection is terrible. Not only do I get half the speed I should but it constantly disconnects. About 5x per day. It got a lot worse when a new housing estate got built in between the cabinet and my house. If it rains heavily, or the wind is heavy, it will disconnect and reconnect. If there's a storm it will disconnect and not come back for days. My Asus router (DSL-AC68u) wouldn't even work with the line, it is that bad. I have to use bridged HG612 just to get the internet to work. And my ping is 40ms which is terrible for gaming.

2. I mainly use the internet for watching Plex from a dedicated server I own. I actually own two, one in the Netherlands (Leaseweb) and one in Germany (Hetzner). You're supposed to "direct play" streams but my internet is too slow for movies, so I have to transcode and set a limit of 12mbps, on a 1080p movie, otherwise it buffers constantly. 4K is just out of the question. If more than one person in my household watches a 12mbps stream, it buffers. Despite syncing at ~38mbps. 300mbps will allow us to both watch at once, a direct stream of a 1080p Remux for example is around 30mbps per user. Call it 70mpbs total...leaves 230mbps overhead. Hell if we both streamed 4k...180mbps total,  120mbps overhead. Perfect!

Other than the occasional pacman update and Steam game install, I really won't see the extra 600mbps. I can always upgrade it anyway. Ping wise I've seen results from 4ms to 18ms, which is half of what I get now on my faulty connection.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything