Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help with open port i cant close  (Read 1453 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
help with open port i cant close
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »

Hi all hope your all ok & looking forward to Xmas :)

I ran Speedguides Security Scan and it found an open port... one typically reserved for TR-609, the thing is i dont use the Plusnet Hub, I use a ZyXELL VMG 8924-B10A, its advice is to disable the port if you update manually (which I do) ut i cant fathom how to? I've looked in UPnP cant find anything to do with TR609

can anyone help?

thanks in advance
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: help with open port i cant close
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »

Merry coming Xmas  ;)

it is weird that the port is already opened since it is 3rd party router not ISP's one, but you will not find the port in port forwarding or UPnP as it should be under TR-069 section (might be under a different name but same meaning of ISP control) but yet again the setting for the service should be blank and is not active by default.

This section should be the default settings and should be the same you see on your router, make sure the service is deactivated and no WAN(s) ticked, this should report the port as not open.

Updated reply..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:34:08 PM by mofa2020 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »

Where is the Zyxel sourced from?
Many Zyxel modems come from ISP's and come with TR-069 enabled.

If you can't find the TR-069 option then you will need to login as Supervisor to find and disable it.

It has nothing to do with uPNP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »

Where is the Zyxel sourced from?
Many Zyxel modems come from ISP's and come with TR-069 enabled.

If you can't find the TR-069 option then you will need to login as Supervisor to find and disable it.

It has nothing to do with uPNP.

its not an ISP router its stock and I've logged in and cant find it

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »

Merry coming Xmas  ;)

it is weird that the port is already opened since it is 3rd party router not ISP's one, but you will not find the port in port forwarding or UPnP as it should be under TR-069 section (might be under a different name but same meaning of ISP control) but yet again the setting for the service should be blank and is not active by default.

This section should be the default settings and should be the same you see on your router, make sure the service is deactivated and no WAN(s) ticked, this should report the port as not open.

Updated reply..

thanks for the details - but there is no TR-609 in ANY of the menus - there is Remote MGMNT but just has this?:

as for UPnP I'm going of what Steve Gibson says on his website

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »

shall i tick E3G as it means that port can only be accessed by a 3G stick on the USB port?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »

shall i tick E3G as it means that port can only be accessed by a 3G stick on the USB port?

I've done this - hopefully it will make it almost impossible - I hope

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »

You need to login as Supervisor, not admin, to see the TR-069 menu.

You can get the Supervisor password by connecting via Telnet and running the 'dumpmdm' command.
It spits out a mass of txt with the supervisor password contained within.
Use an app like putty to save the output then search the result for the word Supervisor.

The password might be zyad1234.

V28 of the firmware removed the dumpmdm command and a roll back to something like v20 temporarily will give the dumpmdm command.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »

You need to login as Supervisor, not admin, to see the TR-069 menu.

You can get the Supervisor password by connecting via Telnet and running the 'dumpmdm' command.
It spits out a mass of txt with the supervisor password contained within.
Use an app like putty to save the output then search the result for the word Supervisor.

The password might be zyad1234.

V28 of the firmware removed the dumpmdm command and a roll back to something like v20 temporarily will give the dumpmdm command.

totally beyond me - dunno what dumpmdm command is/does and rolling back firmware to move forwards is more fault points, surely going back to 28 would undo what you've just done?  never had problem in 2 years so just leve it I think

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »

If we look to the 2 options, any_WAN means that there is no need to specify a WAN since any of them will allow the remote management based on (any_WAN) but on the other side Multi_WAN means more than one WAN but still not all of them so you can choose what WANs you want the remote management to go through in that case you can choose any unused interface..

So choose multi_WAN, tick any unused interface and let the remote management enjoy the disconnected WAN.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »

On my 3925 there is a TR-069 option on the maintenance page when logged in as admin, thought the 8924 was the same. I am on an older f/w though.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »

totally beyond me - dunno what dumpmdm command is/does and rolling back firmware to move forwards is more fault points, surely going back to 28 would undo what you've just done?  never had problem in 2 years so just leve it I think

Have you simply tried zyad1234 as a password?

The dumpmdm command simply spits out txt in the Telnet session. It changes nothing on the modem.
It gives the current passwords in plain txt, including the unknown Supervisor password.

Rolling back firmware allows you to view the password.
Yes upgrading back to 28 will undo what you just did, but who cares. By that point you have the Supervisor password and there's no more need for the dumpmdm command.

There are other ways to obtain the Supervisor password while on v28 of the firmware.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »

On my 3925 there is a TR-069 option on the maintenance page when logged in as admin, thought the 8924 was the same. I am on an older f/w though.

Stuart

On my VMG8924-B10A running 1.00(AAKL.28)C0 the TR-069 option is only visible when logged in as supervisor.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:16:40 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »

I use a VMG8924-B10A and I can see a "TR-069 Client" option in the Maintenance menu when logged in as "admin".  :shrug2:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 08:40:11 PM »

I use a VMG8924-B10A and I can see a "TR-069 Client" option in the Maintenance menu when logged in as "admin".  :shrug2:

What firmware are you on?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2