Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre through loft  (Read 1491 times)

ccarmock

Fibre through loft
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »

Does anyone know if Openreach will run a fibre for an FTTP install through a loft?  Situation is a bungalow where the copper phone line is overhead fed from a pole to an external termination box just under the gutter and then runs in through the loft and then down to the appropriate place inside.

I am keen to know if they will run fibre the same way?     I had read of instances where they have refused to go through lofts.

The loft is accessible vis a loft ladder and is boarded out.

If they refuse to do that would they allow me to assist and do all the loft work myself on the day?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre through loft
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:43:15 PM »

From what I understand the normal installation requires the CSP (Customer Splice Point) to be at ground level so the splicing can take place safely. They may well run the cable from the CSP then back up into the loft, with you running the cable through the loft. When my brother had his copper line installed in the loft the engineer was happy for my brother to be in the loft, whilst the engineer fed it through from outside, the engineer wouldn't go any further than the loft ladder. If you wanted to make things easier you could install some suitable plastic piping, making sure the bends are not tight and a draw string is installed. Note the cable is fed from inside to outside, and then spliced at the CSP. The fibre is roughly 3mm OD with the out layer removed, and about 5mm without it removed.

Occasionally they do install without a CSP, but only in certain circumstances, and it's far less common.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »

A year ago yes. They used a single overhead cable that went all the way to the ONT in 1 length.

Now they have moved back to requiring a CSP (customer splice point) fitted externally. They can't splice up a ladder so this needs to be at ground level.
It's called an "inside out" install as the fibre is pre terminated at the ONT end and is fed from inside the property to the outside, where it is spliced with the overhead or underground feed.

There is such a thing as an internal CSP. They are used where ducting appears within the premises.

No idea if they would be ok installing an internal CSP in your loft. The engineer would need to be able to safely splice there.

There might still be a few areas left that haven't fully rolled out the new "inside out" splicing method.
My install was a few months ago and they used a single length of fibre from the footway box outside to my ONT.
Installs in my street are still using this method so they aren't insisting on a CSP in my area yet.

It might be possible but I've seen a couple engineers on another forum say exactly as Ronski said above.
The feed will need to come down to an external CSP at ground level then go back up to the loft.
Not the neatest but I get the reasoning behind a ground level external CSP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »

Makes me wonder how this will pan out when they use the poles to distribute fibre as I gather that is what will happen if I get it from a box on top of a pole. My cable comes in to an eaves cupboard in the front bedroom and that's where I want it to terminate for fibre as well since I will probably keep a phone line and all my internal wiring goes from there where the master socket is, plus my router is in the same room. Running the fibre into the house anywhere else is not an option since they would have to cross concrete to get to the house plus being an old house power will also be very problematic as would re-wiring the internal extensions. The house is nearly 100 years old!

I'm guessing that there will be many people in the same situation with older properties and who will have issues with a ground level splice box.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »

Stuart, worse case scenario is that it will run down from the eaves to CSP and then back up again, but it really depends on the engineer on the day. Yours will be over head, as that's how it's currently installed and you don't have ducts.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »

Does anyone know if Openreach will run a fibre for an FTTP install through a loft? 

It all depends on the loft detail ..... if it isn't adequately boarded out and with proper lighting, then the engineer should not be entering the area under the 'confined spaces' mandate. No amount of debate will change that fact, it kind of falls to the engineers own risk-assessment as to whether it is adequate or not.

But, certainly not worth them facing severe disciplinary action should something untoward happen.

As mooted though, if you fed your own conduit with a draw-string ready to attach the fibre to, I couldn't see a problem at all personally speaking. As Ron also mentions though, make sure the bend radii aren't too severe !!  :) 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:52:54 PM »

It all depends on the loft detail ..... if it isn't adequately boarded out and with proper lighting, then the engineer should not be entering the area under the 'confined spaces' mandate. No amount of debate will change that fact, it kind of falls to the engineers own risk-assessment as to whether it is adequate or not.

But, certainly not worth them facing severe disciplinary action should something untoward happen.

As mooted though, if you fed your own conduit with a draw-string ready to attach the fibre to, I couldn't see a problem at all personally speaking. As Ron also mentions though, make sure the bend radii aren't too severe !!  :)

Well the engineer who installed the connection when I had the main box installed was quite happy as it is literally just inside the cupboard and if I remember correctly he poked the cable in from the outside and I pulled it through  and he then connected the faceplate. I can re-install the power point which was used for my ISDN connection before I retired. It is only about 6 feet from the outside wall to the cupboard door.

If they have to do the splice at ground level then that's a big issue because I dont want a cable running down the wall and back up again especially as there is a long window under the current connection point on the eaves and it will be exposed to the elements and to any undesirable to cut it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ccarmock

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »

Interesting replies- thanks all.     Given the property concerned is a bungalow the coper external termination box is on a facia board adjacent to the bracket that the drpwire its attached to and all reachable at just above head height.  Certainly the box can be opened without a ladder, but a pair of steps would make working on it easier to be at eye height.

Hopefully if I can help route the fibre internally for the engineer that will help  I can certainly look to put a 20 mm plastic conduit in place with shallow bends and a draw string yes.

The loft is boarded out across the run and there is ceiling mounted tube lighting so it's well lit.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »

Interesting replies- thanks all.     Given the property concerned is a bungalow the coper external termination box is on a facia board adjacent to the bracket that the drpwire its attached to and all reachable at just above head height.  Certainly the box can be opened without a ladder, but a pair of steps would make working on it easier to be at eye height.

Hopefully if I can help route the fibre internally for the engineer that will help  I can certainly look to put a 20 mm plastic conduit in place with shallow bends and a draw string yes.

The loft is boarded out across the run and there is ceiling mounted tube lighting so it's well lit.

That is the crucial piece in the jigsaw, you have nothing to worry about I would say. :)

anything