Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL modem/router config compatibility cross-models  (Read 682 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ZyXEL modem/router config compatibility cross-models
« on: July 12, 2021, 05:03:55 PM »

I’m wondering if a config file from a VMG1312-B10A would be digestible by a VMG8924-B10A. Does anyone know ? The nature of the config file suggests that there might be a chance. Yes, I know, there’s one way to find out - get one and try it.

Then the next question would be how to recover and de-brick an 8924-B10A ?

If the models aren’t config-cross-compatible, then I would need some advice on how to configure an 8924-B10A if I choose to get one to experiment with.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL modem/router config compatibility cross-models
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »

Have you got the downloaded configuration for both models while logged in as supervisor?
To debrick, you would need to connect via serial to the unit and type in an AT command.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »

The GUIs look and work the same, so if you can configure your 1312 via the GUI you shouldn't have any issues with an 8924 (or 8324, which is the same less the 5Ghz wifi). An 8329/8924 does have extra menu options for things like the VOIP setup, but if you aren't using that it can be safely ignored.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »

I’ve got saved config files from a VMG1312-B10A, in XML. So that’s a ‘yes’ to meritez’s question.

I have written a program to customise the XML config and write out a modem field version according to which one of my three modems it is assigned to. This is because their admin interfaces are set up to live at different IP addresses to keep them apart.

Thanks to tubaman, that’s very helpful and is encouraging. I’m configuring them all to be straight PPPoE modems, no routing functionality and wireless disabled. I’m going to look out for a good one to play with next.

There’s an easy recovery procedure for the VMG 1312-B10A consisting of hole-poking and timings. I forget which of our number first told me the details of it. Perhaps the kuro neko? But nothing like that for the VMG8924-B10A?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »

There’s an easy recovery procedure for the VMG 1312-B10A consisting of hole-poking and timings. I forget which of our number first told me the details of it. Perhaps the kuro neko?

Meow! I had cause to perform that very action on my reserve device, yesterday. Whilst doing so, I counted the number of red-flashes of the Power LED before it stayed on solidly red . . . 10 flashes.

But nothing like that for the VMG8924-B10A?

Not as far as I know.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything