Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec  (Read 13293 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 07:03:08 PM »

I think they were both taken at the same time, in  picture 1 the CBT has just been lifted out of the view, but you can still see the fibre tube and a plastic bag.

Yes, that seems to be the simplest explanation! A gap of, say, between 15 seconds and 2 minutes for the capture of the two images.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »

My son finally had his FTTP installation completed last month after 3 unsucessful attempts... snip...
My own situation is very similar to yours, UG feeds, area just being ducted for fibre at present, POTS distribution chamber just outside my front garden wall and fairly sure my existing POTS cable is directly buried across the garden but have not been able to look into the dist. chamber yet, will likely get a peek when the contractors start to pull the fibre this week.
...snip...
As per yourself, I woud like to try and make some provision for a neat fibre transit from the dist. chamber to a house entry point of my choice but not sure as yet how this would be best accomplished.
Glad he got there in the end, good luck with yours!

I'm going to go ahead and drill and duct through the wall in the only place I can actually get into the area under the stairs from outside without the cable being surface mount around the inside of the hallway, which would be horrid.  Fingers crossed that will be OK for them to use.  My dad's lent me the world's longest drill (really it's ridiculous, like a 1.2m long SDS bit...).  I might go and pick up something more sensible.

I'm pretty sure that duct to my neighbours actually comes under the flower bed that is immediately in front of where I want the cable to go through the wall, so I wonder if that might be an option.  Would just be digging in soil to put another (maybe tiny?) chamber in the soil, instead of messing with the paving.  I guess we'll see what they think once I can order it and they come out to try and do it.
I presume that the two images you have shown were captured at different times. "Chamber1" being the earlier and "Chamber2" being the later in time.

Looking at the physical construction of the chamber I see black, heavy duty, plastic. I'm not sure if that is what would have been used back in (approximately) 1986. Note the absence of any base . . . which indicates that having cut suitable access notches, it could have been "dropped" in situ over the pre-existing plant. (Armoured cables and/or ducts.) The joint closure (the "giant's thimble") could have been directly buried in the ground . . . so that could be pre-existing plant. To me, it looks as if it is openable by undoing the clamp.

The second image ("Chamber2") shows the good news. At the right-hand end there is a Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) laying upside down. The black tube to which the CBT is attached contains pre-existing (i.e. factory installed) fibres. The other end of that tube would have been manufactured with an integral, solid, bung, allowing contractor (or direct labour) installers to push, pull, drop in mud (and all the many other grubby construction happenings) without harming the fibres within the tube. At a later date the integral, solid, bung would be cut off, along with an appropriate length of the the tubing, thus allowing the fibres to be fused to the next length of fibres back towards the aggregation node.
They were actually a few mins apart, just the CBT is held out of frame of the photo away from it's resting place to get a look at the POTS cables under it.

The chamber in it's current guise is new, my wife saw them putting it in and didn't have the good grace to call me to have a nose at the time (bad books for a few weeks for that crime...).  As you say it looks like it was dropped in either over or in place of whatever was there as you can see soil in the bottom.  The fibre was installed a month later, I did catch the guy at it then.

I hadn't realised that the CBT's were factory manufactured with internal fibres and the pigtail lead ready to pull through.  That's great news.  I guess that means when I next see the Openreach guys in the street with the splicing rigs connecting up the other end of the fibre to Mother that I'll know I'll be able to order soon. 

Thanks for all the info! 

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 08:11:13 PM »

Yes, that seems to be the simplest explanation! A gap of, say, between 15 seconds and 2 minutes for the capture of the two images.
Something like that...! :)

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 01:52:54 PM »

I can almost smell it, the guys were out today apparently testing the CBTs, they've got a load of the black fibres coming out of a nearby chamber, going into the back of a (closed door) transit van.  I've seen similar setups being used to make connections before by Openreach, but I didn't realise contractors were also doing it.  Although the vans say RDJ Utilities, the sign around the manhole says Morrisons Telecom.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 05:00:27 PM »

Fusion splicing of the various fibres will be occurring in the relative comfort of the back of that van. Hence the reason why significant lengths of the fibre tubes are left, coiled up, in the joint boxes . . . a far better result is obtained when not sitting in a tent over the joint box, with feet down the hole, trying to make the fusion splices.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2021, 05:34:25 PM »

Openreach / Wholesale site still not showing FTTP available to order at the address, but I did notice the FFTPOD line on the wholesale checker just got upgraded from 330/30 to 1000/220.  So something is clearly on the move through the system. 

In other news, the guys were back this week tidying up the hanging CBTs for the flats in front, fibres from the ducts all capped over to protect a bit and the CBTs themselves put up high, out of harm's way.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »

More good progress has been made.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »

I've seen similar setups being used to make connections before by Openreach, but I didn't realise contractors were also doing it.  Although the vans say RDJ Utilities, the sign around the manhole says Morrisons Telecom.

The vast majority of our FTTP work is performed by our approved contractors.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 12:49:13 AM »

The vast majority of our FTTP work is performed by our approved contractors.
Hopefully I will be sampling their wares soon!

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 12:28:23 AM »

Blimey, looks like time to order!

What's the best strategy with getting this up and running - I don't really mind running the phone line which has VDSL on it for a while too, so is it safer to order a new line from another provider?

Any suggestions for a good provider?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 04:27:44 AM »

Its certainly how I'm currently planning to go about it, my line rental is already with BT due to BT Basic and FTTC with Zen.  So when FTTP comes around I plan to order FTTP data only, keep everything as it is and cancel the FTTC once everything is working smoothly.

My preference being to stick with Zen for FTTP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »

Yes, am considering Zen. I can't see any cashback etc on offer from them - do they do referrals?  If they do and you have a code, ping it over :)

Is that definitely how the install will go if I just give my address and no phone number - they'll install FTTP and leave the copper pathway alone?    What I don't want to do is order FTTP with no phone service, and find they cease my copper phone line and throw away my number...!   My idea was to migrate my phone number to an IP service once FTTP is all working.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »

As you have a 30Mb/s+ service from OpenReach you will be impacted by their lockdown rules suspending FTTP installs.
This is running till at least 1st March, but has built up delays running till April in some areas.

Yes if you give no phone number then your current copper service will continue.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »

Thanks @j0hn, fair enough.  It's funny as they've gone to all that effort to put in the street infrastructure - everyone who's had this FTTP fitted in this area is on top of the cabinet! :)

I'll get it ordered anyway, at least it is in the system then.  I think they're still going to have to do a reasonable amount of work outside the house to get it installed, unless they drag it across the front of mine and my neighbours house (hope not). 

Looks like due to some confusion with the address particulars (we're in a courtyard that isn't listed correctly on the online check that most ISPs use, but they can see it) I'll have to get a manual order placed over the phone.  Probably going with Zen, I've tried Trunk's online chat and got no answer twice.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 11:42:13 PM »

Looks like due to some confusion with the address particulars (we're in a courtyard that isn't listed correctly on the online check that most ISPs use, but they can see it) I'll have to get a manual order placed over the phone.  Probably going with Zen, I've tried Trunk's online chat and got no answer twice.

I PM'ed over the referral though not sure how that will work if you have to do a manual order.  It seems their voucher is quite generous at the moment, its showing £40.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

anything