Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec  (Read 13162 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 10:06:39 AM »

As of this morning there is a chap pulling fibre through from the road to the new chambers in the flowerbeds.  He did say the existing cabling into the house isn't ducted and is buried so there will obviously be some works to get from the chamber in the flowerbed into out houses.

Not sure if they do that work as part of the rollout, or only on ordering.  Anyone know?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 10:11:08 AM »

I believe it will be only on ordering.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »

I believe it will be only on ordering.
I'm going to be ordering as soon as possible, looking forward to it going in.  Sounds like might be available to order as soon as a couple of weeks.  Not made my hole in the wall but looks like I'll have plenty of notice.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 07:40:30 PM »

And in other news... I'm glad mine so far is likely to run underground til it gets to my house in a private courtyard.
The flats in front of us are on the main road, and you can see this "installation" is going to last at most a few days before someone yuks the cable out of the ground...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:44:44 PM by bogof »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »

I don't think that is actually finished, it looks like it's just cable tied up temporarily, hopefully some one will be back pretty soon to finish installing it.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 08:09:38 PM »

Hopefully.  They've been very trusting and left a bag of bits with each one of these too...
At least there's not too many folk around on the streets at the moment.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »

Could someone talk me through exactly what we’re seeing in that image?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 11:12:56 PM »

Could someone talk me through exactly what we’re seeing in that image?

I see a fibre cable exiting a duct at pavement level. It is the same duct which is used by the existing metallic pathway. The duct end appears to have a plug fitted, to stop ingress of rain or anything else undesirable. There appears to be a joint closure, temporarily held by one (or more) cable ties to the existing metallic capping which covers the pre-existing cable(s).

At the time the picture was taken it all looks a bit of a pig's ear but, as Ronski has mentioned, it appears that the job has not been completed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »

What’s the perfectly straight vertical black line in the picture?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 06:32:40 AM »

The fibre tube.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »

I see a fibre cable exiting a duct at pavement level. It is the same duct which is used by the existing metallic pathway. The duct end appears to have a plug fitted, to stop ingress of rain or anything else undesirable. There appears to be a joint closure, temporarily held by one (or more) cable ties to the existing metallic capping which covers the pre-existing cable(s).

At the time the picture was taken it all looks a bit of a pig's ear but, as Ronski has mentioned, it appears that the job has not been completed.
I'm not sure these are sealed at the bottom (any more) as it looks like where the fibre is, whatever was capping it has just been broken to get the fibre up.  Wonder when they'll be back to tidy it up.  The bag of bits that had just been left on the windowsill appears to have already walked, though I guess whoever comes next will have a ton of those bits.  Piccy of another bag hung on a screw on the wall near another one of these.
The fibre tube.
Do you know if at this point these empty tubes waiting for fibres, or are they rough-cut cables including fibres which will be terminated?  The guys putting this level in certainly weren't doing any "clean" works (!).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:10:19 PM by bogof »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2021, 12:33:53 PM »

For anyone interested, attached are a couple of pics of the contents of the chamber in the flowerbed. 

I can finally see confirmation that 4 houses served by this chamber are direct buried armoured cable (including mine), which is great news as they're clearly not expecting to bring the fibre in via that route (as discussed previous, I can't access where this armour cable enters the property any more).   

From the street via a duct under the brickweave I can see POTS and a fibre cable, plus a draw string left in. 
The POTS from the street goes into a big junction box with sealed entries, with the feeds to the houses coming out of it.  Does anyone know if that POTS junction box is likely to be original from when the properties were built ~35 years ago?  I didn't see the new chamber being installed.

There is a duct running sideways with a POTS cable which I guess may be serving my other neighbour.  There is another chamber in an even further away neighbour's flowerbed, but I can't see any fibre from here going to there, so I guess that is separately ducted to the main road maybe... or maybe not.   Not seen inside that.

Interestingly, this sideways duct appears to run under mine and my neighbours brickweave drive, past the front of my house (about 1m away from where it probably needs to come in).  If that duct is useable for fibre, then could they dig down to find the duct, and put in some sort of T junction - or don't they like to do that kind of thing due to risk to the POTS infrastructure?  That could mean a very small amount of work to run my fibre underground, without disturbing the brickweave at all (or just at the edge).  That would be a total win.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:09:09 PM by bogof »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »

My son finally had his FTTP installation completed last month after 3 unsucessful attempts at monthly intervals in running the fibre from adjacent chamber directly to the existing POTS/BB master socket in the hall, in this case the existing POTS cable was ducted.
One repair was made on a collapsed duct in the neighbours drive and the fibre made it to within a few feet of the master socket box (concrete floors) but would go no further.

Luckily the contractors, KN Circet, on their final visit persevered and dug down to the duct outside the front door, extracted the fibre and ran this along the bottom of the gable wall into the under stairs cupboard, quite a neat job in the end but did take 3 months from initial placing of the order.

My own situation is very similar to yours, UG feeds, area just being ducted for fibre at present, POTS distribution chamber just outside my front garden wall and fairly sure my existing POTS cable is directly buried across the garden but have not been able to look into the dist. chamber yet, will likely get a peek when the contractors start to pull the fibre this week.
I do know the power and POTS cable enter the house in the same duct, concrete floors, I remember the BT supervisor who I knew at the time ranting at the building site foreman, over 35 years ago now, I believe the ducting only extends to the front edge of the house.

As per yourself, I woud like to try and make some provision for a neat fibre transit from the dist. chamber to a house entry point of my choice but not sure as yet how this would be best accomplished.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »

For anyone interested, attached are a couple of pics of the contents of the chamber in the flowerbed.

<snip>

Does anyone know if that POTS junction box is likely to be original from when the properties were built ~35 years ago?  I didn't see the new chamber being installed.

I presume that the two images you have shown were captured at different times. "Chamber1" being the earlier and "Chamber2" being the later in time.

Looking at the physical construction of the chamber I see black, heavy duty, plastic. I'm not sure if that is what would have been used back in (approximately) 1986. Note the absence of any base . . . which indicates that having cut suitable access notches, it could have been "dropped" in situ over the pre-existing plant. (Armoured cables and/or ducts.) The joint closure (the "giant's thimble") could have been directly buried in the ground . . . so that could be pre-existing plant. To me, it looks as if it is openable by undoing the clamp.

The second image ("Chamber2") shows the good news. At the right-hand end there is a Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) laying upside down. The black tube to which the CBT is attached contains pre-existing (i.e. factory installed) fibres. The other end of that tube would have been manufactured with an integral, solid, bung, allowing contractor (or direct labour) installers to push, pull, drop in mud (and all the many other grubby construction happenings) without harming the fibres within the tube. At a later date the integral, solid, bung would be cut off, along with an appropriate length of the the tubing, thus allowing the fibres to be fused to the next length of fibres back towards the aggregation node.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »

I think they were both taken at the same time, in  picture 1 the CBT has just been lifted out of the view, but you can still see the fibre tube and a plastic bag.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything