Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec  (Read 13164 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »

Thanks @Alex Atkin UK, we will see what they say.  It looks like it might work, it seems all you do is register your email first and then it all happens when the account gets created with that email.  Maybe.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:18:46 AM by bogof »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »

Well, we're off the starting blocks.

Like a kid in a sweetshop, I want all the bandwidth, so order placed for the Zen Full Fibre 900 package.  More than anything I want the upload - my office is across the road from my house (no easy Line of Site though, I don't own the building to stick a mast on it) and I have 80/80 symmetrical in the office, so hoping to get a nice boost to my home <-> work VPN... :) :)

Ordered over the phone.  The guy said it's down as a single stage install which raised my eyebrow - either there's an assumption they can get in the way the phoneline goes (buried armoured, additionally buried behind a wall in the building by previous building works!) or they plan perhaps to come out of the chamber, up the front of my neighbour's house, round 4 90 degree bends (the brickwork juts in and out a couple of times) and into our house, as I doubt that the guy doing the ONT etc install is going to be digging down in flowerbeds to find ducting and installing new access to that.

I really hope they don't want to run it all along the fronts of the houses, I've rarely seen this done really well and to now the front of the property is nice and clean.

Or maybe they just don't know, and put it down as single stage in the hope they can do it, and go from there if they can't (maybe the single stage effectively becomes a bit of a survey then?).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »

Please keep us updated as progress is made (or not, as the case may be).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 09:33:06 AM »

Brief diary of FTTP install in my area (Private courtyard off a mixed residential / business street in the heart of Norwich City centre).  I'll add to this as time passes.  If I get a mo I'll link to posts in the thread at various points.

27/07/2020 - Openreach survey, pavement markings appear in our courtyard off street.
31/07/2020 - Evening works in road, pulling stuff off huge drums through the street ducts.
10/12/2020 - Flower beds in front of neighbour's houses have new chambers installed using existing ducts to street.
20/01/2021 - Fibre CBT installed in flowerbed chamber by Openreach contractors RDJ Utilities.
24/01/2021 - A peek indicates thoughts that I'm on direct buried armoured copper seemingly confirmed.
25/01/2021 - Tails of CBT spliced in a large chamber across the road, in the back of an RDJ Utilities van.
31/01/2021 - Openreach wholesale checker still doesn't offer FTTP, but FTTPoD has been upgraded from 330/30 to 1000/220.
03/02/2021 - Openreach wholesale checker now offers WBC FTTP 1000/220.
04/02/2021 - Ordered 900/115 from Zen over phone.  Status on order tracker "Wait for KCI-2".  No date for install yet, but claimed single visit(!)
05/02/2021 - Noted OR checker says "Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard." - usually 2 (or more) stage install...
08/02/2021 - OR engineer arrived to survey, looks like plan is to intercept duct either in our flower bed or at edge of drive.  Duct proved clear.
09/02/2021 - Email from Zen, 1st stage external install schedule 27/04/2021, 2nd stage internal install appointment 07/05/2021.
14/02/2021 - DIY installed 22mm barrier pipe as conduit from outside wall to inside wall ready for fibre with a couple of draw ropes.
22/02/2021 - Email from Zen, civils work confirmed required and scheduled complete by 03/01/2021.  I asked if we could improve on date.
01/03/2021 - Guys on OR flatbed did the civils work to intercept the existing duct in our flowerbed and lay a duct up to the front of the property.
09/04/2021 - Email from Zen, internal installation date pulled forward to 14/4/2021 AM.  No mention of external works.
14/04/2021 - OR guy arrives and does internal and external install in a couple of hours, which is straightforward.

Around 9 months from spotting things happening in our street to actually being installed.

Now hitting 900/115 on speedtests with 7-9ms ping.  Very happy.

[Moderator edited to replace with the full chronological notes, as requested.]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:48:37 PM by burakkucat »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 01:10:35 PM »

Just noticed this line on the Openreach wholesale checker:

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard.

So I have no-idea why the guy on the phone thought this could be a 1 stage install, having found the following.  From here:
https://support.giga.net.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360013901358-Brand-new-full-fibre-installation-process

2 stage

+2 weeks
**Could be weeks.**   

Tarmac / Slabs / Concrete

The fibre cable is routing underground, however there is no duct in place to your property, and the existing copper cables are directly buried in the ground.

There may be some works required to install a duct or the cable underneath tarmac/ paving slabs/ concrete.

Depending on the location of the works, this may require 3rd party permissions, local authority permits, and there are lead times with the planners and civil engineering teams.

The installation could take a long time depending on the complexity.

At least the above seems to match exactly my understanding of the scale of works involved, which is good, and that it is recorded as direct buried hopefully means I'm not going to have to try and justify the lack of access to the incoming cable. 

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »

Openreach guy came to survey today, luckily I was at home.  Initially was interested to know where the existing telephone cable came up and that it was blocked inside the garage elicited a bit of a perplexed "why would you do that?!" look from him (fair enough I guess).

I mentioned it's burried anyway, and that there is a duct running under our paving to the neighbour's and he seemed happy about that and said that he'll get the civils to either intercept the duct in the flowerbed infront of where I want the cable to come into our house (perfect and probably less work for them, "just" digging assuming the duct follows a straight line) or at the edge of the drive where the blockweave meets the building. 

So seems we're making good progress.  Not sure what the timescale will be, the guy said they're flat out (impressed there was someone here within 2 working days of the order though!).

Edit: as bonus, he just proved the duct was clear, so looking to be in a reasonably good place so far...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:40:15 AM by bogof »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »

...and X marks the spot! :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 03:42:31 PM »

Sounds like it's going the way you need it to  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 04:23:55 PM »

Sounds like it's going the way you need it to  :fingers:
Indeed.  The lack of access into the garage, and the buried armoured, now sounds like a blessing.  The OR engineer was a nice chap and was saying that if it had been ducted to there and that was a viable route in then that might have been where it would have been forced to come in for reasons of cost.  The route from there to anywhere sensible in the house would have been extremely annoying as the original phone wire ran a silly route through the fabric of the building, and I'd have probably ended up having to have it surface mounted some significant distance.

He said they only need an 8mm hole through the wall for the fibre (that's all they would drill) but that if I wanted it somewhere in particular they'd gratefully make use of a hole with a draw string in it.  Which is what I'll do.  At the pace this lot seem to be going the race might be on...!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »

You'll definitely need a draw string, if they just drilled an 8mm hole you'll end up with lots of coiled up fibre in the void under your stairs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »

You'll definitely need a draw string, if they just drilled an 8mm hole you'll end up with lots of coiled up fibre in the void under your stairs.

Or without a draw string, in the cavity wall.  :lol:  Speaking from experience trying to get cables from outside to inside without the right equipment.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »

I forgot about the cavity, best way is a suitable rigid tube angled upwards from the outside to prevent ingress of water.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:45 PM »

I forgot about the cavity, best way is a suitable rigid tube angled upwards from the outside to prevent ingress of water.
I have a healthy collection of Super rods and accessories, so pulling a draw rope through is unlikely to be an issue.  I keep ummming and ahhhing about sticking a conduit through though just because it makes it more of a job; got to go get the conduit, bigger drill bit that really I need an SDS for, etc...

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »

Well, I talked that up, installation dates have come through now.

Stage 1: External Installation
A fibre optic cable will be run to your property via underground ducts or telegraph poles.
Scheduled date: 27/04/2021
Scheduled time slot: ALLDAY

Stage 2: Internal Installation Appointment
The fibre optic cable will be extended inside your property.
Appointment Date: 07/05/2021
Appointment time slot: AM

Nothing to grumble about of course.  I believe the groundworks in our flower bed have to happen some time between now and the 1st stage.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:38:37 AM by bogof »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »

At least its not FTTPod timescales.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything